[sci.electronics] Signetics WOM data sheet

larry@tapa.uucp (Larry Pajakowski) (10/31/89)

One of the things I've lost over the years is a copy of the SIGNETICS WOM
datasheet.  I'd like to show this to some co-workers who have never had the
chance to marvel at this ingenious part.  If someone would take the time
to arrange to send me one I would be most gratefull.  The last one I saw
was a copy of a copy of a copy ... and in pretty bad shape.

[Now let's see how many questions this creates]

Thanks.

Larry Pajakowski
1-312-937-1153 (A.C. 708 after 11/11)
larry@tapa.uucp

barry@hprmokg.HP.COM (Barry Fowler) (11/02/89)

No offense intended but...

I have a Polish Op. Amp. data sheet from Signetics also.

davidc@vlsisj.VLSI.COM (David Chapman) (11/02/89)

In article <1989Oct31.012624.114@tapa.uucp> larry@tapa.uucp (Larry Pajakowski) writes:
>One of the things I've lost over the years is a copy of the SIGNETICS WOM
>datasheet.  I'd like to show this to some co-workers who have never had the
>chance to marvel at this ingenious part.

>[Now let's see how many questions this creates]

VLSI once built a WOM for one of its customers (custom-designed, no less).
We sold a few I know, but the product it went into never was a hit and so
I don't think we make them any more.

The strangest thing to me was that it had *seven* pins...

P.S.  This chip wasn't a joke, but there is a twist.  First correct guess wins
      a prize (50 kbits absolutely FREE! :-).
--
		David Chapman

{known world}!decwrl!vlsisj!fndry!davidc
vlsisj!fndry!davidc@decwrl.dec.com

gordon@prls.UUCP (Gordon Vickers) (11/08/89)

In article <10040027@hprmokg.HP.COM> barry@hprmokg.HP.COM (Barry Fowler) writes:
>No offense intended but...
>I have a Polish Op. Amp. data sheet from Signetics also.

      If the data sheet is pre 1982 (or so), then no offense taken.
      But geeesh, you guys, come on ! Signetics has done a complete
   turn around though their "zero defects" program and for the last
   several years, we have decreased the number of defective units shipped
   to just a few units per million.

      By the way, I wouldn't mind having a copy of the data sheet (for my
   own amusement.

Gordon Vickers 408/991-5370 (Sunnyvale,Ca); {mips|pyramid|philabs}!prls!gordon
Earth is a complex array of symbiotic relationships:
Every extinction, whether animal, mineral, or vegetable, hastens our own demise.

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (11/11/89)

Ahh, now there's an oldie.  I believe the first time I saw the
infamous WOM data sheet was back in 1976, I think.  There were some
interesting tidbis:  the graph of pins remaining vs. number of
times inserted, etc.  The WOM had an interesting input:  chip
destruct, which reqired 115 vac to activate; not exactly a jdec
spec input.

Seriously though, I've seen the term WOM used to refer to active bus
terminations.

Bill

littauer@uts.amdahl.com (Tom Littauer) (11/14/89)

OK, I've been forced to get my copy out. It appeared in the April (of course)
1972 (I think - it's Copyright 1972) issue of Electronic Design, Computer
Design, or EDN.

A few tidbits:

Part Number: 25120 Fully Encoded, 9046 X N, Random Access Write-Only-Memory

Applications:

Don't Care Buffer Stores
Post Mortem Memories (Weapon Systems)
Artificial Memory Systems
Overflow Register (Bit Bucket)

Input Protection:

All terminals are provided with slip-on latex protectors for the prevention
of Voltage Destruction. (PILL packaged devices do not require protection).

Cooling:

The 25120 is easily cooled by employment of a six-foot fan, 0.5" from the
package. If the device fails, you have exceeded the ratings. In such cases,
more air is recommended.

--
UUCP:  littauer@amdahl.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,ames,uunet}!amdahl!littauer

I'll tell you when I'm giving you the party line. The rest of the time
it's my very own ravings (accept no substitutes).