[sci.electronics] Trying to build a fluxgate magnetometer -- help!

mahaun@sactoh0.UUCP (Mark A. Haun) (10/02/89)

I am trying to build a fluxgate magnetometer sensitive enough to
monitor variations in the Earth's magnetic field, mostly to observe
magnetic storms caused by big flares on the sun (March 13, 1989
stuff especially :-) !).

I have seen an article about one of these designed to serve as a
solid state compass in Radio Electronics magazine's "Hardware
Hacker" column, and Radio Shack has also recently come out with a
fluxgate compass.  Would such a circuit be readily adaptable for my
purposes?  My main concern is whether it would have enough
sensitivity;  I would like to measure changes at least as small as
10 gammas (.001 Gauss), and if possible, even smaller.

I envision having a setup with the magnetometer hooked up to a
chart recorder and running 24 hours a day.  It would alert me to
the start of any magnetic storms and would show me the best times
to try and observe the northern lights from my location here in
California, if there are more *big* flares like this past March
(they were actually seen here then, but I wasn't aware of it until
a few days later).

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has built any sort of
fluxgate magnetometer, anyone who has seen a construction article
for one, or anybody with suggestions/ideas/etc. on the feasibility
of this project.  Please email to any of the addresses below.

Thanks!

--
(     Mark A. Haun  KJ6PC     )(    UUCP: ...ames!pacbell!sactoh0!mahaun     )
(   Sac-Unix, Sacramento CA   )( AMPRNET: kj6pc@kj6pc.ampr.org               )

vaso@mips.COM (Vaso Bovan) (10/02/89)

In article <1914@sactoh0.UUCP> mahaun@sactoh0.UUCP (Mark A. Haun) writes:

>I am trying to build a fluxgate magnetometer sensitive enough to
>monitor variations in the Earth's magnetic field, mostly to observe
>magnetic storms caused by big flares on the sun (March 13, 1989
>stuff especially :-) !).
>
>I would like to measure changes at least as small as
>10 gammas (.001 Gauss), and if possible, even smaller.

?  You mean of course, nanotesla (nT), since 1954.  :-)

johns@calvin.EE.CORNELL.EDU (John Sahr) (10/02/89)

In article <28601@buckaroo.mips.COM> vaso@mips.COM (Vaso Bovan) writes:
>In article <1914@sactoh0.UUCP> mahaun@sactoh0.UUCP (Mark A. Haun) writes:
>>
>>I would like to measure changes at least as small as
>>10 gammas (.001 Gauss), and if possible, even smaller.
>>

>?  You mean of course, nanotesla (nT), since 1954.  :-)

Well, I don't know about the "official" state of "gamma" vs "nT", but
both are in common usage in "the business."  For earth-based mags, the
_only_ unit I have heard used is "gamma".

How many of you circuit dweebs use the "right" term for inverse ohms?
I thought so.

(yearning for the days of furlongs per fortnight :*)

--
John Sahr,     Dept. of Electrical Eng., Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853
johns@{alfven,calvin}.ee.cornell.edu,  {rochester,cmcl2}!cornell!calvin!johns

billk@hpsad.HP.COM (Bill Katz) (10/03/89)

There is an excellent "Technical Support Package" available from NASA on
flux-gate magnetometers.  It is the Technical Support Package for Tech
Brief LAR-13560, "Improved Flux-Gate Magnetometer, and includes a 23 item
bibliography.  The package is about 35 pages long, and can be obtained
from NASA Langley Research Center, Hampton, VA 23665-5225.  I got it from
a bingo card in _NASA Tech Briefs_ a couple years ago.  I would assume it's
still available.

   _   /| 	-ACK!        Bill (the) Katz     Internet: billk@hpsad.hp.com
   \'o.O'	-PFHHHT!     Hewlett-Packard         UUCP: hplabs!hpsad!billk
   =(___)=	-COUGH!      Signal Analysis Div.   Phone: (707) 794-2300
      U		-ACK!	     1212 Valley House Dr.    Fax: (707) 794-4452
			     Rohnert Park, CA 95428

jmasters@pcocd2.intel.com (Justin Masters~ ) (10/03/89)

Take a look inside the November 1989 Radio Electronics.  I just got mine last
night and there is info for trying to build a fluxgate magnetometer.

Is my car the only one in America where | Justin "Ice Cream Monster" Masters
someone breaks in and turns up my radio |
every time I park? - Steven Wright      |  jmasters@pcocd2.intel.com

jgd@rsiatl.UUCP (John G. De Armond) (10/04/89)

In article <1363@calvin.EE.CORNELL.EDU> johns@calvin.spp.cornell.edu.UUCP (PUT YOUR NAME HERE) writes:

>How many of you circuit dweebs use the "right" term for inverse ohms?
>I thought so.

You mean you don't sling your *ahem* Semen(s) around with wild abandon? :-)

(I no, I no, it ain't spelled rite but whot the hek?)

John

--
John De Armond, WD4OQC                     | Manual? ... What manual ?!?
Radiation Systems, Inc.     Atlanta, GA    | This is Unix, My son, You

rjk@sequent.UUCP (Robert Kelley) (10/07/89)

In _The_Amateur_Scientist_ section of Scientific American, Feb 1968, page 124,
there's a description of a differential magnetometer capable of detecting a
minimum difference in field strength of 3e-5 oersted.  The magnetic field of
the earth causes protons in water molecules to precess at a rate of about 2025 Hz.
The article describes a device consisting of two bottles of water with coils
wound around them, and a high-gain (2e6) tuned amplifier.  A dc current is passed
through both coils to align the magnetic dipoles, then the current is removed and
the amplifier is connected to the coils.  A beat frequency proportional to the
difference in the magnetic fields at each bottle is heard at the output of the
amplifier.

It might be interesting to build a more modern version of the system described
in the article.  Another installation of _The_Amateur_Scientist_ describes another
NMR setup and suggests adding ferric nitrate to the water.  Why?

chardros@csli.Stanford.EDU (Doug Gibson) (10/08/89)

In article <22842@sequent.UUCP> rjk@sequent.UUCP (Robert Kelley) writes:
>It might be interesting to build a more modern version of the system described
>in the article.  Another installation of _The_Amateur_Scientist_ describes another
>NMR setup and suggests adding ferric nitrate to the water.  Why?

In the NMR lab given in undergrad p-chem here, we added a decent amount
(millimolar, I think) of some ferric salt to water.... and all of a sudden, the
water peak was about 1000 Hz wide.

I suspect there's a connection.

-Doug Gibson
 chardros@csli.stanford.edu

"He's dead, Jim.  You grab his tricorder, and I'll take his wallet."

pierson@cimnet.dec.com (10/09/89)

If the interest was in an "early warning" device for Auroral activity, a
simpler option is WWV.  WWV includes a solar activity report in, in voice,
the 18th minute of every hour.

thanks
dave pierson			|The facts as accurately as I can manage,
Digital Equipment Corporation	|The opinions, my own.
600 Nickerson Rd
Marlboro, Mass
01752

	pierson@cimnet.enet.dec.com

jkl141@tijc02.UUCP (John Leroy ) (10/10/89)

From article <1914@sactoh0.UUCP>, by mahaun@sactoh0.UUCP (Mark A. Haun):

> I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has built any sort of
> fluxgate magnetometer, anyone who has seen a construction article
> for one, or anybody with suggestions/ideas/etc. on the feasibility
> of this project.

See "Absolute Measurements in Electricity and Magnetism" published by
Dover Books for the theory and math behind the magnetometer described
in Sky and Telescope this month.  Anybody got a good reference for the
fluxgate magnetometer?

--

		-John LeRoy

Packet Radio: 	WA4VLV @ WX4S
Compuserve: 74136,401
UUCP:   rti!tijc02!jkl141
Phone: 615-461-2440

david@epicb.UUCP (David Cook) (10/13/89)

>From article <1914@sactoh0.UUCP>, by mahaun@sactoh0.UUCP (Mark A. Haun):
>>
>> I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has built any sort of
>> fluxgate magnetometer, anyone who has seen a construction article
>> for one, or anybody with suggestions/ideas/etc. on the feasibility
>> of this project.

    Mark...  The very latest issue of Radio Electronics has an article
on connecting the Radio Shack Electronic COmpass to a computer system.

    To make a long story short, they have an excellent discussion on
fluxgate magnetometers as a part of the article, including a description
as to how the windings are made (a control winding goes totally around
the core [ring] and a sine and cosine winding exist at 90 degree angles
to each other).  Check out this article for at least a "feel" as to how
these devices are constructed.

jkl141@tijc02.UUCP (John Leroy ) (10/14/89)

From article <1914@sactoh0.UUCP>, by mahaun@sactoh0.UUCP (Mark A. Haun):

> I am trying to build a fluxgate magnetometer sensitive enough to
> monitor variations in the Earth's magnetic field, mostly to observe
> magnetic storms caused by big flares on the sun (March 13, 1989
> stuff especially :-) !).

Some time back, I remember seeing an application note for Hall Effect
devices used to build a simple compass.  Anybody have any insight as
to whether these devices might be available in a form suitable for
building a magnetometer?
--

		-John LeRoy

Packet Radio: 	WA4VLV @ WX4S
Compuserve: 74136,401
UUCP:   rti!tijc02!jkl141
Phone: 615-461-2440

jkl141@tijc02.UUCP (John Leroy ) (10/14/89)

From article <1914@sactoh0.UUCP>, by mahaun@sactoh0.UUCP (Mark A. Haun):

> I am trying to build a fluxgate magnetometer sensitive enough to
> monitor variations in the Earth's magnetic field, mostly to observe
> magnetic storms caused by big flares on the sun (March 13, 1989
> stuff especially :-) !).
>
> I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has built any sort of
> fluxgate magnetometer, anyone who has seen a construction article
> for one, or anybody with suggestions/ideas/etc. on the feasibility
> of this project.  Please email to any of the addresses below.

My email to you bounces, so I'll post this.
I just stumbled across "Simple Magnetometers or How to Measure Your
Own K-Index" by Russell G. Wicker, W4WD in the Proceedings of the
22nd conference of the Central States VHF Society (1988). If you
want a copy and can't find the proceedings let me know.
--

		-John LeRoy

Packet Radio: 	WA4VLV @ WX4S
Compuserve: 74136,401
UUCP:   rti!tijc02!jkl141
Phone: 615-461-2440

mcdonald@aries.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) (10/30/89)

>>I would like to measure changes at least as small as
>>10 gammas (.001 Gauss), and if possible, even smaller.
>>

>?  You mean of course, nanotesla (nT), since 1954.  :-)

I have been in the science business for over 20 years and have
never heard anyone refer to magnetic fields in Tesla - everyone
uses gauss. It is true that people know that someone somewhere
created a unit of magnetic field called a Tesla, but no one
remembers how many gauss are in one Tesla, and no one uses it.
Sometimes it might appear in a textbook (usually directed at
freshmen or sophmores - more advanced books use gauss).

There are lots of names of units out there that are simply not used.

(Also, I might add, a lot of people refer to actual physical
magnets, though not the fields they create, in megahertz - as
in "it's a 500 MHz magnet" meaning, of course, that the NMR
resonance frequency of protons in it would be 500 MHz." Even the
people who do this snicker a bit while doing it, however.)

Doug McDonald

forbes@aries.uiuc.edu (Jeff Forbes) (10/30/89)

	NMR spectroscopists refer to their magnets in proton resonance
frequency as well as field in TESLA. A 500 MHz magnet is 11.7 T, a 60 MHz
magnet is 1.6 T, etc.

	Jeff Forbes

wilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) (10/30/89)

In article <1989Oct29.174631.12960@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) writes:

>(Also, I might add, a lot of people refer to actual physical
>magnets, though not the fields they create, in megahertz - as
>in "it's a 500 MHz magnet" meaning, of course, that the NMR
>resonance frequency of protons in it would be 500 MHz." Even the
>people who do this snicker a bit while doing it, however.)
>
>Doug McDonald

   Ummm...  In the world of analytical chemistry and in some other areas
where large magnets are often in use the Tesla is used to measure large
fields.  For example, Nicolet Instruments, the company which currently holds
the patent on Fourier transform mass spectrometers, advertises all of their
magnets in Tesla values as do most other manufacturers in the analytical
chemistry market.
   In general, when I was working in analytical chemistry at UC Riverside,
the only place I heard the gauss values used was in the Bank of America's
specification that credit cards were unsafe past the 50 gauss line.  The
magnets were always, to us, thirteen, seven, and three TESLA.
   Of course, everybody also used "torr" to refer to "mm Hg," which people in
some fields would find odd.  I suppose the point is that just because your
area of work has different conventions than someone else's it isn't really
yours to say that some unit or another is NEVER, EVER used.

             -- Mark Wilkins
                wilkins@jarthur.claremont.edu

irf@kuling.UUCP (Bo Thide') (10/30/89)

In article <1989Oct29.174631.12960@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) writes:

>>>I would like to measure changes at least as small as
>>>10 gammas (.001 Gauss), and if possible, even smaller.
>>>

>>?  You mean of course, nanotesla (nT), since 1954.  :-)
>
>I have been in the science business for over 20 years and have
>never heard anyone refer to magnetic fields in Tesla - everyone
>uses gauss.

I use Tesla (or, rather, nanoTesla) all the time.  But I have only
been in the science business for 17 years so I had a chance to
learn the SI system properly ... :->

Bo

   ^   Bo Thide'--------------------------------------------------------------
 /|F|\        INTERNET: bt@irfu.se       UUCP: ...!uunet!sunic!irfu!bt
 ~~U~~ -----------------------------------------------------------------sm5dfw

In article <1989Oct29.174631.12960@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) writes:
>I have been in the science business for over 20 years and have
>never heard anyone refer to magnetic fields in Tesla - everyone
>uses gauss...
>Sometimes it might appear in a textbook (usually directed at
>freshmen or sophmores - more advanced books use gauss).

The gauss is the older unit, still used a lot, especially in older sources
and by older writers.  The Tesla is the correct modern unit; if you look
around, you'll see increasing use of it in most fields.
--
A bit of tolerance is worth a  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
megabyte of flaming.           | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

In article <1989Oct29.174631.12960@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, mcdonald@aries.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) writes:
> >>I would like to measure changes at least as small as
> >>10 gammas (.001 Gauss), and if possible, even smaller.
> >
> >?  You mean of course, nanotesla (nT), since 1954.  :-)
>
> I have been in the science business for over 20 years and have
> never heard anyone refer to magnetic fields in Tesla - everyone
> uses gauss. It is true that people know that someone somewhere
> created a unit of magnetic field called a Tesla, but no one
> remembers how many gauss are in one Tesla, and no one uses it.
> Sometimes it might appear in a textbook (usually directed at
> freshmen or sophmores - more advanced books use gauss).

	Speaking as a Gauss-person who would prefer to see otherwise :-),
I regret to inform you that the Tesla is indeed being used in the real
world to replace the Gauss as a unit of magnetic flux density measurement.

	Many magnetometer and magnetic instrument manufacturers, such
as F. W. Bell, Humphrey Inc., FRL Industries and Walker Scientific now
use the Tesla instead of the Gauss as their unit of specification.
However, it is somewhat amusing to note that while these vendors still
refer to certain products as "gaussmeters", they are now specified
using the Tesla as a unit of measurement; sort of an oxymoron, huh? :-)

	Since I have already survived and coped with the Pascal, the
change to Tesla was less traumatic than I had imagined.  Incidently,
the nanotesla (nT) seems to have replaced the gamma (.00001 Gauss) where
finer magnetic flux measurements are concerned.

<> Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp. - Uniquex Corp. - Viatran Corp.
<> UUCP  {allegra|boulder|decvax|rutgers|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<> TEL 716/688-1231 | 716/773-1700  {hplabs|utzoo|uunet}!/      \uniquex!larry
<> FAX 716/741-9635 | 716/773-2488      "Have you hugged your cat today?"

johns@calvin.EE.CORNELL.EDU (John Sahr) (10/30/89)

In article <1989Oct29.174631.12960@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) writes:
>>>I would like to measure changes at least as small as
>>>10 gammas (.001 Gauss), and if possible, even smaller.
>>?  You mean of course, nanotesla (nT), since 1954.  :-)
>I have been in the science business for over 20 years and have
>never heard anyone refer to magnetic fields in Tesla - everyone
>uses gauss. It is true that people know that someone somewhere
>created a unit of magnetic field called a Tesla, but no one
>remembers how many gauss are in one Tesla, and no one uses it.
>Sometimes it might appear in a textbook (usually directed at
>freshmen or sophmores - more advanced books use gauss).
[]
>Doug McDonald

Whoa, thea, padnuh.  The "Tesla" is alive and well, thank you.  If I walk
over to the High Volt Lab, I find people quite comfortable with kilogauss
or tesla (not the same, of course), as they torture innocent protons.

Engineering textbooks through the graduate level tend to use MKS units,
which include Tesla.  Physics textbooks, on the other hand, tend to use
cgs, which include gauss.  I have several of each brand of text. For
genuine pandemonium, look at plasma physics texts.  In ionospheric physics,
there is no standard at all, but a pretty free mix of cgs and MKS.  Chen's
plasma physics 1st ed was in cgs: the second is MKS.  You be the judge.

Actually, I prefer cgs all the way, myself, but I'm not dogmatic about it,
even though it ought to be obvious that cgs units are The One True Units.  On
the other hand, E/B in MKS has units of velocity, which is convenient.  But
on the other hand, E/B in cgs has no units at all, which is also convenient.
On the other hand, my Radio Shack voltmeter insists on giving me MKS units.
On the other hand, Jackson is a nice reference, and uses cgs, so it must be
good.

So, as I said, I don't insist upon cgs, because this is a free planet.

But, come the revolution, the MKSeoisie will be the first with
their backs against the wall.

--
John Sahr,                   | Electrical Engineering - Space Plasma Physics
johns@alfven.spp.cornell.edu | Cornell University,         Ithaca, NY  14853

firth@sei.cmu.edu (Robert Firth) (10/31/89)

In article <1425@calvin.EE.CORNELL.EDU> johns@calvin.spp.cornell.edu.UUCP (PUT YOUR NAME HERE) writes:

>But, come the revolution, the MKSeoisie will be the first with
>their backs against the wall.

Hear hear!  Not content with making us remember all kinds of
silly historical names, they have now removed one of the best
terms in the entire science of electromagnetism.

Who ever heard of "de-Tesla-ing" ?

geller@bnlux0.bnl.gov (joseph geller) (11/14/89)

     I would like to send some notes on magnetometers to mahaun@sactoh0
but, my email keeps bouncing; please send your full email address or regular
mail address to geller@bnlux0.bnl.gov or to bnl, bldg911A (ags), Upton,
NY, 11973.