[sci.electronics] Star-shaped screwdriver

kyoung@auspex.auspex.com (Ken Young) (11/15/89)

The six-pointed star shaped screwdriver is called a "TORX".
If the screw has a spike in the middle of the TORX socket, that requires a "tamper resistant TORX" screwdriver (harder to find, but the SNAP-ON tool man can get one for you).

The eight-pointed star screwdriver is called a "POZIDRIVE".  You may be able to turn it with a phillips if you are desperate, but I have never tried it.  Most POZIDRIVE stuff says it is not interchangable with a phillips, but they also say not to use it as a chizel, pry-bar, or punch :-)

Ken Young
uunet!auspex!kyoung

leres@ace.ee.lbl.gov (Craig Leres) (11/16/89)

Key Young writes:
> If the screw has a spike in the middle of the TORX socket, that requires
> a "tamper resistant TORX" screwdriver (harder to find, but the SNAP-ON
> tool man can get one for you).

I needed one of these (it became... uh, necessary to get into the telco
box at home) so I bought a regular torx driver at Sears and modified
it. First I un-heat treated it, then center drilled it on a lathe, and
finally re-heat treated it.

		Craig

P.S. I really think the psychedelic rainbow colors the heat treating
left on my unit are a plus.