[sci.electronics] Analog circuit design tech-notes/tutorials summary

kin@eecg.toronto.edu (Kin Man J Chan) (11/21/89)

Hi there,

May I first say thank you for those who have given me pointers to
analog circuit design tech-notes/tutorials.
Here is a brief summary:

Don wrote,

    1. Linear and Interface Circuits Applications
       ( Texas Instruments )

    2. Linear Application Databook
       ( National Semiconductor )

 Item 1 provides many design formulae and examples; item 2 has a lot of application
 examples. There should be many books like these. I think they are all similar.

Greg wrote,

The Motorola RF Device Data Book Vol. 2 has nearly 400 pages of
excellent application notes for RF circuitry.

Vaso wrote,

The best non-standard, semi-technical (calculus deleted) text I know is
"The Art of Electronics," 2nd Ed., Horowitz, P., Hill, W., Cambridge University
Press, 1989.

There are also several practical books written on analog circuit design. See
any competent technical book store. Most of these practical books can be broadly
divided into two types: low frequency analog design based on op amps, and
high (radio) frequency design based mainly on discrete semiconductors.

Motorola publishes an extensive series of "Application Notes" and "Engineering
Bulletins," of which many are on linear/analog design. See your local Motorola
rep for a catalog of these notes. National Semiconductor has a similar, though
less extensive list of App Notes.

Michael wrote,

Almost all of the large companies that develop analog ICs provide some
of "tech notes". Usually some detailed application notes are contained
in the data books. Also, the databooks usually contain a listing of most
of the application notes available for kind of product. I would recommend
contacting sales representatives (if you are a student, don't worry; the
sales reps. will still talk to you!) of the major companies to get
databooks and application note lists. This applies to almost all kinds
of products: op amps, leds, discrete transistors, passive components,
etc. Very soon you'll get to the point where you'll have a lot of
information and no place to store it all!

You may also want to check some of the professional trade journals. They
frequently have good information on all types of analog design. Some names
that come to mind immediately are: EDN (Electronic Design News - highly
recommended!), Electronics, Electronic Engineering (a European
publication, RF Design, etc.

Andrew wrote,

For analog IC applications and some design information,
you should check Linear and Data Conversion data books from Analog Devices.
In addition, there are references to some books that Analog Devices publishes.

Although much narrower in scope, check out Apex Microtechnology
2895 W. Rudasill Rd., Tuscon AZ 85741.  602-742-8600.
Apex makes hybrid power op-amps and they have some useful application
notes regarding hybrid amplifier application.  In any case, Apex has
some very interesting power op-amps.  Very interesting stuff if you
are interested in control of power circuits.

Of course, the IEEE literature will provide you with a large quantity
of analog circuit design techniques. I don't know if you were including
the IEEE publications along with "standard texts".

(Answer: Yes, I did include IEEE publications like SC, CAS and IEE
	 publications like Elec. Let.)

Brian wrote,

=>Don Liu gave the following references:  8-)
=>
=>    1. Linear and Interface Circuits Applications
=>       ( Texas Instruments )
=>
=>    2. Linear Application Databook
=>       ( National Semiconductor )

A couple of very useful references indeed.  I'm kinda surprised that no one
has mentioned "Cookbooks".  I have Don Lancaster's "CMOS Cookbook" and his
"OpAmp Cookbook".  Both of them are very good.  The CMOS Cookbook is published
by Howard W. Sams & Co., Inc.  I imagine the OpAmp Cookbook is too, I just
don't have it in front of me.  Something tells me there are more than just
these two, but I don't remember what they might be.

Henry wrote,

In article <2846@phred.UUCP> brianr@phred.UUCP (Brian Reese) writes:
>... I'm kinda surprised that no one
>has mentioned "Cookbooks".  I have Don Lancaster's "CMOS Cookbook" and his
>"OpAmp Cookbook".  Both of them are very good.  The CMOS Cookbook is published
>by Howard W. Sams & Co., Inc.  I imagine the OpAmp Cookbook is too, I just
>don't have it in front of me.  Something tells me there are more than just
>these two, but I don't remember what they might be.

Lancaster's original book was the TTL Cookbook, which is still useful
although pretty dated now.  His CMOS Cookbook is still very good -- the
4000-series CMOS family has aged more gracefully than plain 7400-series
TTL and is still realistic for new designs.  His TV Typewriter Cookbook
is of historical interest only.  His Cheap Video Cookbook and its sequel,
Son of Cheap Video, are of interest for some really sneaky video-display
techniques, although the specific chips he uses are oldies.

The only book of his that's really relevant to this discussion, his
Active-Filter Cookbook, is unfortunately much more a *cookbook* than the
others.  That is, it just says "here, this works", rather than teaching
you how to do it yourself.  It's nearly 15 years old; although I'm not
really up on analog design, I'd guess it's pretty well obsolete now.

If he wrote an Op Amp Cookbook, I've never seen it.  "IC Op Amp Cookbook",
also published by Sams, is not by Lancaster.  Before buying it, check the
date; the second edition (which I have) is nearly a decade old.  An old
one will still be relevant for general discussion, but the specific op
amps used as examples will be geriatric cases.

That's it. But I can still recommend SC-9 which contains an excellent
overview of opamp design.

Let me say thank-you again.

Sincerely,

Kin