[sci.electronics] CD digital output interface spec name. Do you know it???

ron@vicorp.UUCP (Ron Peterson) (11/22/89)

Can anyone tell me the ANSI standard reference number or some kind of
similar reference for the format of the digital data that comes out
of the RCA phono jack on the back of consumer CD players?
     An earlier reference to the Motorola documentation for the
56001 DSP was not helpful since the example it describes required
accessing digital signals inside the player.
     I am particularly interested in being able to interpret any
subcode info that comes from this connector.
     -Thanks- in advance.
                            Ron

qac@occrsh.ATT.COM (Quentin_Conner) (11/22/89)

ron@vicorp.UUCP (Ron Peterson) writes:

>Can anyone tell me the ANSI standard reference number or some kind of
>similar reference for the format of the digital data that comes out
>of the RCA phono jack on the back of consumer CD players?
>                            Ron

I recently asked this same question in comp.dsp.  I know of two
sources.  The audio engineering society has reprints available
for $15.00 of the ANSI spec.  This seems like too much money, so I am
planning on looking in the engineering library at a nearby school.
The other source is a (probably cheaper) Sams book.

If anyone wants to send me (FAX, FAX G3 bitmap file, US Mail, etc.) a copy
of this info, who am I to complain?

] The AES/EBU digital audio format is described in the *second* edition
] of Ken Pohlmann's "Principles of Digital Audio", Howard Sams & Co, 1989.
] ISBN 0-672-22634-0.

-or-

Audio Engineering Society
60 E. 42nd St.
Room 2520
NY, NY  10165
(212) 661-8528
Attn: Helen Chambers
cost $15.00 - document AES3-1985 - ANSI S4.40-1985

Enjoy,

Quentin Conner
--------------
qac@occrsh.att.com

grosen@amadeus.ucsb.edu (Mark D. Grosen) (11/23/89)

Loughborough Sound Images (LSI) in the UK makes a PC board that will read
and write AES/BEU format bit streams.  It also will interface to their
family of DSP cards via their own DSP-Link bus.  Their products are
distributed in NA by Spectrum Signal Processing.

Mark

Mark D. Grosen		ARPA: grosen@amadeus.ucsb.edu
Signal Processing Lab / Communications Research Lab
ECE Dept.
University of California
Santa Barbara, CA  93106