[sci.electronics] MTS stereo modulation

phil@calvin.EE.CORNELL.EDU (Phil Erickson) (11/20/89)

I have an opportunity to purchase a friend's TV.  Being a fairly recent
TV, it has MTS stereo decoding capability.  However, this feature would
be useless if my cable company doesn't pass along stereo information on
those channels it carries.

A call to the cable company itself was of no help, as the person on the
other end didn't understand quite what I was trying to ask, so:

Where exactly in the ~6 MHz bandwidth of a normal TV signal does
MTS stereo information lie?  What's the modulation method used, out
of curiosity? (quadrature, etc.)  And, most importantly, could a cable
company 'block' the stereo information by simply not passing that portion
of the TV signal's bandwidth along, or does the fact that I receive a NBC
channel (say) now mean that I automatically get the MTS information, if
I had a TV intelligent enough to decode it?

-----------------
Phil Erickson         Space Plasma Physics    5143 Upson Hall
                      Cornell University      Ithaca, NY   14853
ARPA: phil@calvin.spp.cornell.edu
 or   phil%calvin.spp.cornell.edu@cunyvm.cuny.edu
UUCP: {rochester,cmcl2}!cornell!calvin!phil

logajan@ns.network.com (John Logajan) (11/23/89)

In article <2095@calvin.EE.CORNELL.EDU> phil@calvin.spp.cornell.edu writes:
>I have an opportunity to purchase a friend's TV.  Being a fairly recent
>TV, it has MTS stereo decoding capability.  However, this feature would
>be useless if my cable company doesn't pass along stereo information on
>those channels it carries.

There are two ways (that I know of) to take a broadcast channel and stick
it on a cable.  One is to simply heterodyne the the broadcast frequency
with another frequency, and the resultant output frequency is injected
onto the cable (with filtering of unwanted image freqs).  This method is
known as frequency conversion and would leave the MTS signal intact.

The second method is to extract the actual video and audio information
and then remodulate it onto the cable frequency.  You could lose the
MTS information if they were too cheap to buy MTS stereo demo/remod
equipment.  (By the way, I believe this method is called something
like baseband conversion, or something???)

--
- John M. Logajan @ Network Systems;  7600 Boone Ave; Brooklyn Park, MN 55428 -
- logajan@ns.network.com, john@logajan.mn.org, Phn 612-424-4888, Fax 424-2853 -

sjm@sun.acs.udel.edu (Steve Morris) (11/28/89)

(John Logajan) writes:
>In article <2095@calvin.EE.CORNELL.EDU> phil@calvin.spp.cornell.edu writes:
>>I have an opportunity to purchase a friend's TV.  Being a fairly recent
>>TV, it has MTS stereo decoding capability.  However, this feature would
>>be useless if my cable company doesn't pass along stereo information on
>>those channels it carries.
>
>There are two ways (that I know of) to take a broadcast channel and stick
>it on a cable.  One ...[converts the broadcast frequency to the
>appropriate cable channel frequency.] ... This method is
>known as frequency conversion and would leave the MTS signal intact.
>
>The second method is to extract the actual video and audio information
>and then remodulate it onto the cable frequency.

I was selling TVs a few years ago when MTS was beginning to become an
issue in buying a TV. The local cable company had not upgraded their
transmission system for stereo, but people in the area who had cable
were reporting that the MTS light was coming on. and sure enough they
were getting stereo. Since the cable people were of no help it sounds
like you may have to do some research on your own. Check with anyone you
know who is on the same system and might already be getting stereo
programming. The other possibility, depending upon the size of the TV,
would be to hook it up at your place to see if you get a stereo signal.

Steven