[sci.electronics] Analog Circuit Design Tech-notes Quest

kin@eecg.toronto.edu (Kin Man J Chan) (11/14/89)

Hi there!

I posted an article earlier with a view to gathering as many existing
analog circuit design tech-notes as possible. (other than standard
textbooks)

Interestingly enough, a lot of people replied to me directly
that they were also interested in such tech-notes and asked
me to post the results on the net.

Unfortunately only *one* has so far replied me with some pointers.

Don Liu gave the following references:  8-)

    1. Linear and Interface Circuits Applications
       ( Texas Instruments )

    2. Linear Application Databook
       ( National Semiconductor )

"Item 1 provides many design formula and examples; item 2 has a lot
 of application examples. There should be many books like these.
 I think they are all similar."

Does anyone know more good tech-notes or tutorials in
analog circuit design other than standard text books?

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Sincerely,

Kin Chan

Department of Electrical Engineering
University of Toronto

vaso@mips.COM (Vaso Bovan) (11/14/89)

In article <1989Nov13.135928.16752@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> kin@eecg.toronto.edu (Kin Man J Chan) writes:

>Does anyone know more good tech-notes or tutorials in
>analog circuit design other than standard text books?

The best non-standard, semi-technical (calculus deleted) text I know is
"The Art of Electronics," 2nd Ed., Horowitz, P., Hill, W., Cambridge University
Press, 1989.

There are also several practical books written on analog circuit design. See
any competent technical book store. Most of these practical books can be broadly
divided into two types: low frequency analog design based on op amps, and
high (radio) frequency design based mainly on discrete semiconductors.

Motorola publishes an extensive series of "Application Notes" and "Engineering
Bulletins," of which many are on linear/analog design. See your local Motorola
rep for a catalog of these notes. National Semiconductor has a similar, though
less extensive list of App Notes.

ankleand@mit-caf.MIT.EDU (Andrew Karanicolas) (11/14/89)

In article <1989Nov13.135928.16752@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> kin@eecg.toronto.edu (Kin Man J Chan) writes:

>Hi there!
>
>I posted an article earlier with a view to gathering as many existing
>analog circuit design tech-notes as possible. (other than standard
>textbooks)
>Kin Chan
>
>Department of Electrical Engineering
>University of Toronto

For analog IC applications and some design information,
you should check Linear and Data Conversion data books from Analog Devices.
In addition, there are references to some books that Analog Devices publishes.

Although much narrower in scope, check out Apex Microtechnology
2895 W. Rudasill Rd., Tuscon AZ 85741.  602-742-8600.
Apex makes hybrid power op-amps and they have some useful application
notes regarding hybrid amplifier application.  In any case, Apex has
some very interesting power op-amps.  Very interesting stuff if you
are interested in control of power circuits.

Of course, the IEEE literature will provide you with a large quantity
of analog circuit design techniqes. I don't know if you were including
the IEEE publications along with "standard texts".

Andrew Karanicolas
MIT Microsystems Laboratory
ankleand@caf.mit.edu

brianr@phred.UUCP (Brian Reese) (11/15/89)

In article <1989Nov13.135928.16752@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> kin@eecg.toronto.edu (Kin Man J Chan) writes:
=>I posted an article earlier with a view to gathering as many existing
=>analog circuit design tech-notes as possible. (other than standard
=>textbooks)
=>
=>Don Liu gave the following references:  8-)
=>
=>    1. Linear and Interface Circuits Applications
=>       ( Texas Instruments )
=>
=>    2. Linear Application Databook
=>       ( National Semiconductor )

A couple of very useful references indeed.  I'm kinda surprised that no one
has mentioned "Cookbooks".  I have Don Lancaster's "CMOS Cookbook" and his
"OpAmp Cookbook".  Both of them are very good.  The CMOS Cookbook is published
by Howard W. Sams & Co., Inc.  I imagine the OpAmp Cookbook is too, I just
don't have it in front of me.  Something tells me there are more than just
these two, but I don't remember what they might be.

Brian

--
Brian Reese                           uw-beaver!pilchuck!seahcx!phred!brianr
Physio Control Corp., Redmond, Wa.                         brianr@phred.UUCP

In article <2846@phred.UUCP> brianr@phred.UUCP (Brian Reese) writes:
>... I'm kinda surprised that no one
>has mentioned "Cookbooks".  I have Don Lancaster's "CMOS Cookbook" and his
>"OpAmp Cookbook".  Both of them are very good.  The CMOS Cookbook is published
>by Howard W. Sams & Co., Inc.  I imagine the OpAmp Cookbook is too, I just
>don't have it in front of me.  Something tells me there are more than just
>these two, but I don't remember what they might be.

Lancaster's original book was the TTL Cookbook, which is still useful
although pretty dated now.  His CMOS Cookbook is still very good -- the
4000-series CMOS family has aged more gracefully than plain 7400-series
TTL and is still realistic for new designs.  His TV Typewriter Cookbook
is of historical interest only.  His Cheap Video Cookbook and its sequel,
Son of Cheap Video, are of interest for some really sneaky video-display
techniques, although the specific chips he uses are oldies.

The only book of his that's really relevant to this discussion, his
Active-Filter Cookbook, is unfortunately much more a *cookbook* than the
others.  That is, it just says "here, this works", rather than teaching
you how to do it yourself.  It's nearly 15 years old; although I'm not
really up on analog design, I'd guess it's pretty well obsolete now.

If he wrote an Op Amp Cookbook, I've never seen it.  "IC Op Amp Cookbook",
also published by Sams, is not by Lancaster.  Before buying it, check the
date; the second edition (which I have) is nearly a decade old.  An old
one will still be relevant for general discussion, but the specific op
amps used as examples will be geriatric cases.
--
A bit of tolerance is worth a  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
megabyte of flaming.           | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

whit@blake.acs.washington.edu (John Whitmore III) (11/22/89)

>I posted an article earlier with a view to gathering as many existing
>analog circuit design tech-notes as possible. (other than standard
>textbooks)
>Don Liu gave the following references:  8-)
>
>    1. Linear and Interface Circuits Applications
>       ( Texas Instruments )
>
>    2. Linear Application Databook
>       ( National Semiconductor )

	For general circuitry, the various compilations of Markus
are very useful: Electronic Circuits Handbook, Electronics Sourcebook,
and other titles (depending on the date of publication).
	For op amp circuits, there are several books published by
Burr-Brown:  Function Circuits, Operational Amplifiers Design and
Applications, Applications of Operational Amplifiers (Third Generation
Techniques).
	For switching power supplies, the application notes in the
Unitrode Semiconductor Handbook are excellent (1980 edition had
these, I don't know about more recent ones).
	Radio Amateur's Handbook has lots of RF and audio information,
with some generally applicable notes and entire projects.
	For interface circuitry, the AMD Interface Databook is very
helpful (I found an application note there that described Apple's
LocalTalk network, years before the first Macintosh was equipped with it).
	For digital circuitry, my favorites are Digital Design with
Standard MSI and LSI, by Blakeslee; Wiley, 1975 (which few folk seem
to have heard of) and The Art of Electronics, by Horowitz and Hill,
Cambridge University Press, 1980 (which everyone's heard of).  Neither
is big on cookbook circuits, but both are careful to warn of pitfalls.
In this age of DSP's and switched-capacitor filters, one CANNOT omit
the digital circuitry from a treatment of analog design.

"I am known for my brilliance,                 John Whitmore
by those who do not know me well"

In article <4589@blake.acs.washington.edu> whit@blake.acs.washington.edu (John Whitmore III) writes:
>	For digital circuitry, my favorites are Digital Design with
>Standard MSI and LSI, by Blakeslee; Wiley, 1975 (which few folk seem
>to have heard of) and The Art of Electronics, by Horowitz and Hill,
>Cambridge University Press, 1980 (which everyone's heard of)...

I'd second both recommendations, with one reservation:  if you are a novice,
for heaven's sake get the *second* edition of Blakeslee.  The content did
not change much, but the first edition's figures are *full* of typos, some
of them very confusing unless you already know what's going on.

Also, there is a new-and-improved second edition of Horowitz&Hill out,
although I haven't seen it yet.
--

rodman@mfci.UUCP (Paul Rodman) (11/28/89)

>In article <4589@blake.acs.washington.edu> whit@blake.acs.washington.edu (John Whitmore III) writes:
>>	For digital circuitry, my favorites are Digital Design with
>>Standard MSI and LSI, by Blakeslee; Wiley, 1975 (which few folk seem
>>to have heard of)

I really *liked* this book! Really drives home things that are often
not stressed enough:

       1) Good engineers should keep aware of new products. A neat
          circuit that takes 20% less hardware could be a big waste
          of time if there were other chips around that you didn't
          know about.

       2) learn to minimize package counts by thinking of unusual
          ways of using MSI to get the job done. [With the
          explosion of PALs, etc this stuff is a quite a bit out
          of date in my copy.]

       3) Nasty Realities of logic design. [Needs updating for simultan-
          eous switching output problems with TTL/CMOS]

       4) The Social Consequences of Engineering. ! Honest, this
          is a chapter. Rags on a society that has engineers putting
          micros in dishwashers, which worked ok without 'em, while
          handicapped folks still don't have decent aids for everyday
          living.

          Also has a great chapter on "The engineer as a Dope pusher" I.e.
          how much we Love Our Gadgets. He talks about "matched sets" of
          stupid gadgets, e.g. riding lawn mowers + exercise bikes. Or
          a sun-shade for the mower and a tanning light.

I would strongly recommend this book over the standard "Digital
Design" book. [Lots of Kmaps, building half-adders out of gates,
etc,etc]

pkr