[sci.electronics] Fluorescent light ballasts

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (11/17/89)

Fluorescent lights have the potential to be very inexpensive
to operate, but sometimes, the cost of running fluorescent lights
is much higher than expected.

The reason for this is the type of ballast used to operate
the light. The ballast converts the electricity coming out
of the wall into the particular flavour of electricity the
fluorescent tube wants to see.

There are two kinds of ballasts: magnetic and elecronic. The
former is by far the most common type, and is little more than
a transformer. It is cheap to puchase. It has the drawbacks
of being noisy (this is the source of the humm, or buzzing
so often ascociated with fluorescent lights) and not
terribly energt efficient. A fixture with two 40 watt bulbs
may actually draw 250 watts.

The electronic ballast is the inverse of the magnetic ballast.
It is NOT cheap to buy, but it is silent and much
more efficient. On the order of 100 - 130 watts to run
two 40 watt tubes.

The state of the art in ballasts seems to belong to the Advance
corperation. They make two models, the REL2S40TP which
is comprised of discrete components, and has been around
for a while, and the newer RIC2S40TP which uses an ASIC
to replace all the discrete components. This unit has
to advantages over the older system. It is a ``smart''
ballast, in that it detects low voltage and maintains
constant luminous output by drawing more current. Secondly,
it will work with any 30 or 40 watt fluorescent tube -
enery saver, T-8's etc.

Thats the good news. The bad news is that they only make
one model. Indeed nobody makes an electronic ballast
that operates anything other that two 40 watt (or 30 watt)
tubes.

The reason for this is, 70% of fluorescent tubes sold
are the 48" 40 watt type, and it is not economical
at this point to manufacture electronic ballasts for
any other tube sizes.

--
``He is good with numbers, but I keep having to tell him how to
work the VCR over and over again''   --   Rajan Mahadevan's roommate

rsd@sei.cmu.edu (Richard S D'Ippolito) (11/17/89)

In article <22334@gryphon.COM> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:

=There are two kinds of ballasts: magnetic and elecronic. The
=former is by far the most common type, and is little more than
=a transformer. It is cheap to puchase. It has the drawbacks
=of being noisy (this is the source of the humm, or buzzing
=so often ascociated with fluorescent lights) and not
=terribly energt [sic]  efficient. A fixture with two 40 watt bulbs
=may actually draw 250 watts.

Twentyfive years ago, when I did lighting design, the typical transformer
ballasts for two 40W tubes consumed less than 20W, making the total fixture
demand less than 100W.  I know this because I also had to calculate the
air-conditioning load.

What are you talking about?!  Is this some hype from an electronic ballast
manufacturer?

Rich
--
When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers,
you know something about it.

In article <4995@ae.sei.cmu.edu>, rsd@sei.cmu.edu (Richard S D'Ippolito) writes:
> In article <22334@gryphon.COM> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
> =There are two kinds of ballasts: magnetic and elecronic. The
> =former is by far the most common type, and is little more than
> =a transformer.

	The primary purpose of a ballast is for current limiting, and it
therefore functions as a saturable inductor and not a transformer.  The
simplest ballast is merely a series inductor.  Depending upon the size,
wattage and operating voltage of the lamps, a ballast may also function
as an auto-transfomer for increased voltage at the time of starting ONLY;
once the lamp fires, the voltage is then LESS than the AC line.

> = It is cheap to puchase. It has the drawbacks
> =of being noisy (this is the source of the humm, or buzzing
> =so often ascociated with fluorescent lights) and not
> =terribly energt [sic]  efficient. A fixture with two 40 watt bulbs
> =may actually draw 250 watts.

	Utter nonsense!

> Twentyfive years ago, when I did lighting design, the typical transformer
> ballasts for two 40W tubes consumed less than 20W, making the total fixture
> demand less than 100W.  I know this because I also had to calculate the
> air-conditioning load.
>
> What are you talking about?!  Is this some hype from an electronic ballast
> manufacturer?

	Richard Sexton's comments are bogus, and I suspect he is suffering
from a case of the bends as a result of being immersed in his sci.aquaria
fiasco for too long.

	In any event, Richard D'Ippolito is quite correct.  Fluorescent
lamps are quite efficient with respect to ballast losses, having a range
of 20% loss at worse case and 95% loss at best.

	Therefore, a 2-lamp 40-watt fixture of say, a rapid-start variety
will consume no more than 100 watts of energy when operated at rated
voltage.

<> Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp. - Uniquex Corp. - Viatran Corp.
<> UUCP  {allegra|boulder|decvax|rutgers|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<> TEL 716/688-1231 | 716/773-1700  {hplabs|utzoo|uunet}!/      \uniquex!larry
<> FAX 716/741-9635 | 716/773-2488      "Have you hugged your cat today?"

wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (David Lesher) (11/18/89)

I was told once (by folks that ought to know) that as the tubes
age, not only does the light output drop; but the power drawn
increases. Thus the efficiency takes a double whammy.
Comments?
--
A host is a host & from coast to coast...wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu
no one will talk to a host that's close..............(305) 255-RTFM

henkp@nikhefk.UUCP (Henk Peek) (11/19/89)

In article <3504@kitty.UUCP> larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:
>In article <4995@ae.sei.cmu.edu>, rsd@sei.cmu.edu (Richard S D'Ippolito) writes:
-> In article <22334@gryphon.COM> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
-> =There are two kinds of ballasts: magnetic and elecronic. The
-> =former is by far the most common type, and is little more than
-> =a transformer.

>	The primary purpose of a ballast is for current limiting, and it
>therefore functions as a saturable inductor and not a transformer.
A ballast inductor operates always in the non sataurable mode.
When the iron saturates the inductance of the inductor goes very fast down
and the current goes up.

Henk Peek  Henkp@nikhef.nl

In article <596@nikhefk.UUCP>, henkp@nikhefk.UUCP (Henk Peek) writes:
> >	The primary purpose of a ballast is for current limiting, and it
> >therefore functions as a saturable inductor and not a transformer.
>
> A ballast inductor operates always in the non sataurable mode.
> When the iron saturates the inductance of the inductor goes very fast down
> and the current goes up.

	Not true where there is a capacitor and hence a resonant circuit
involved, a design which is commonly found in fluorescent lamp circuits
which employ no starter.

	In addition, some types of fluorescent lamp circuits employ a dual
inductor with intentional magnetic field coupling.  Such a device is usually
called a "stray-field" or "leakage-reactance" transformer, although its
characteristics are different from that of a conventional transformer so
that current limiting can be provided.  In a conventional transformer the
mutual magnetic field which links both windings must be kept as high as
possible in order to transfer the maximun energy.  A stray-field transformer
has reduced mutual magnetic flux, resulting in limited energy transfer.  As
increased load is drawn leakage flux increases and output voltage drops.
A stray-field transformer in fluorescent lamp applications usually has
common primary and secondary connections as in an autotransformer, and is
also viewed by some as being two series inductors.

	Fluorescent lamp ballast circuits are more complex than one would
imagine.

sorgatz@ttidca.TTI.COM ( Avatar) (11/19/89)

+
+=There are two kinds of ballasts: magnetic and elecronic. The
+=former is by far the most common type, and is little more than
+=a transformer. It is cheap to puchase. It has the drawbacks
+=of being noisy (this is the source of the humm, or buzzing
+=so often ascociated with fluorescent lights) and not
+=terribly energt [sic]  efficient. A fixture with two 40 watt bulbs
+=may actually draw 250 watts.
+
+Twentyfive years ago, when I did lighting design, the typical transformer
+ballasts for two 40W tubes consumed less than 20W, making the total fixture
+demand less than 100W.  I know this because I also had to calculate the
+air-conditioning load.
+

 One point that seems missing, 25 years ago the lighting industry was not
totally saturated with YUPPIE-MBA assholes! This has had a severe impact
on the QUALITY of the Ballast transformers being produced.

 The older units that I have should last well into the next century..built
like the proverbial brick privy!  The newer transformers are made of thin,
cheap steel and are just painted.  The newer units run very hot  and  I've
noticed  they  rust within a few months in humid climates.  The older ones
use thicker metal (hence they run cooler!) that is galvanized (hence  they
don't rust!) and then painted.

 Inside is another  horror-story;  the  older  ballasts  had  true-lamnate
windings  not so with the MBA-specials!  The modern (read: cheap!) ballast
is just set of windings  (some  don't  even  use  copper  wire!  they  use
ALUMINUM on the really cheap Korean ones!) around a minimal core, some use
a shell-core made of more cheap sheet steel.  The case is  usually  filled
with some polyu-foam, but I have seen some that are filled  with  ordinary
black  tar!  Yeech!  No  wonder  these things hum so bad!  My 20+ year old
transformers are audible, but just barely.  Mostly you hear the  tubes  at
60Hz.

 In conclusion, the next time you curse cheaply made electrics of this ilk
remember that the guys to blame are the so-called "Value Engineers"..most
of whom DO NOT have an EE, and have next to no knowledge about anything
except accounting. These are the bastards that insist on such garbage being
sold in the marketplace. It is unfortunate that the management of most
companies cannot distinguish between 'value' and 'cost'...they just keep
letting the MBA-dickheads screw things up.

ps- If you were asked  by  someone  where  YOU  work  to  substitute  inferior
materials or workmanship in the job you do...would you comply?

--
-Avatar-> (aka: Erik K. Sorgatz) KB6LUY           +-------------------------+
Citicorp(+)TTI                          *----------> panic trap; type = N+1 *

kenmoore@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Kenneth L Moore) (11/20/89)

In article <7835@ttidca.TTI.COM> sorgatz@ttidcb.tti.com (Erik Sorgatz - Avatar) writes:
>In article <4995@ae.sei.cmu.edu> rsd@sei.cmu.edu (Richard S D'Ippolito) writes:

>ps- If you were asked  by  someone  where  YOU  work  to  substitute  inferior
>materials or workmanship in the job you do...would you comply?

>-Avatar-> (aka: Erik K. Sorgatz) KB6LUY

Clarify the circumstances... Does said yuppie MBA have the power to fire
me? ;-) (And if he does, what the hell am I doing working here?)

tomb@hplsla.HP.COM (Tom Bruhns) (11/21/89)

Gosh, with 6 quick responses to arrive here already, I was thinking
that this thread might provide me with some real information about
fluorescent ballasts and driving fluorescent tubes.  Does anyone
out there actually have some good library references?  In particular,
I'd like to know both theoretical and practical aspects.  What
designs have proven practical?  What sort of inverter designs do
people use to drive fluorescents from DC supplies (both low voltage
[5-15 volts] and moderate voltage [100-200 volts])?  How is the life
of a bulb affected by a DC component in the current?  What other
factors affect bulb life?

BTW, I found the 250W a bit humorous.  I mean, 250-2*40 leaves
about 170 watts to dissipate in the ballast.  Considering the size
of the ballast, ...  !   (Could Dick possibly have meant 250 VA?
I hope not; that's a pretty poor power factor!)

Tom Bruhns
tomb%hplsla@hplabs.hp.com

wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (David Lesher) (11/21/89)

At one point I heard a proposal to outfit large office buildings
with ~260 volt power at several ten of khz. This would go to the
lamps, which would have custom ballasts. The driving force was
several % improvement in efficiency-- a double payoff since it
also reduced the cooling load of the HVAC systems.

 It sounded like a workable idea. Nver heard any more, though.
--
A host is a host & from coast to coast...wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu
no one will talk to a host that's close..............(305) 255-RTFM
Unless the host (that isn't close)......................pob 570-335
is busy, hung or dead....................................33257-0335

brian@ucsd.Edu (Brian Kantor) (11/21/89)

Many larger (most?) buildings use 277vac for the fluorescent lights.
It's easy to get off the 416 three-phase and you can use thinner wire
because the current is lower.

Fries the @$#!# out of those home-style infrared motion detectors,
though.
	- Brian

In article <1099@umigw.MIAMI.EDU>, wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (David Lesher) writes:
> At one point I heard a proposal to outfit large office buildings
> with ~260 volt power at several ten of khz. This would go to the
> lamps, which would have custom ballasts. The driving force was
> several % improvement in efficiency-- a double payoff since it
> also reduced the cooling load of the HVAC systems.

	This HAS been done in some experimental installations, but as far
as I know, the concept just never caught on.  The systems I am aware of
used 400 and 600 volts at 3 kHz.  For references check some backissues of
"Illuminating Engineering" or the IES (Illuminating Engineering Society)
Handboook.

rsd@sei.cmu.edu (Richard S D'Ippolito) (11/23/89)

In article <7835@ttidca.TTI.COM> Erik Sorgatz writes:

> One point that seems missing, 25 years ago the lighting industry was not
>totally saturated with YUPPIE-MBA assholes! This has had a severe impact
>on the QUALITY of the Ballast transformers being produced.

Hey, lighten up!  I just purchased a new shop light for $9.99 (that's right)
with two 40w tubes, fixture, cord and ballast.  The ballast nameplate reads
"120V 60Hz .85A", UL, minimun starting temperature 50 deg. F."

I'll leave it as an exercise to the reader to decide whether or not it draws
current equivalent to a 250watt load, whether the quoted figures I gave about
power demand are dated, and whether the quality has gone down in 25 years.

More enterprising folks might be able to calculate the power factor.

Rich
--

torkil@psivax.UUCP (Torkil Hammer) (11/25/89)

In article <5068@ae.sei.cmu.edu> rsd@sei.cmu.edu (Richard S D'Ippolito) writes:
#
#with two 40w tubes, fixture, cord and ballast.  The ballast nameplate reads
#"120V 60Hz .85A", UL, minimun starting temperature 50 deg. F."
#
#More enterprising folks might be able to calculate the power factor.

We can't do so without knowing the efficiency factor, aka cosine of phase
angle, which is measured as the ratio between watts and voltamperes.

Questions:
1. Why is there a minimum starting temp for the ballast?
2. Do today's ballasts come with a capacitor or other phase compensation
to optimize the irregular, but predictable, current pattern of flourescent
tubes?

frankb@hpsad.HP.COM (Frank Ball) (11/27/89)

*From: torkil@psivax.UUCP (Torkil Hammer)
*Questions:
*1. Why is there a minimum starting temp for the ballast?

It is harder to ionize the gas in the tube when it is cold.
I had an old ballast that was getting weak, and couldn't start
a cold tube, but if I took the tube out and warmed it up under
my electric blacket it would fire up and work fine.

Frank Ball          frankb@hpsad.HP.COM

rsd@sei.cmu.edu (Richard S D'Ippolito) (11/30/89)

In article <2956@psivax.UUCP> Torkil Hammer writes:

>In article <5068@ae.sei.cmu.edu> Richard S D'Ippolito writes:
>#
>#with two 40w tubes, fixture, cord and ballast.  The ballast nameplate reads
>#"120V 60Hz .85A", UL, minimun starting temperature 50 deg. F."
>#
>#More enterprising folks might be able to calculate the power factor.
>
>We can't do so without knowing the efficiency factor, aka cosine of phase
>angle, which is measured as the ratio between watts and voltamperes.

Sure you can -- make some assumptions about the limits:

	If the ballast is purely resistive, the power factor is 1.0
	and the ballast dissipates 120V*0.85A - (2*40W) or 22 watts.

	If purely reactive, it dissipates zero watts and the power
	factor of the circuit is (2*40W)/102VA or 0.78.

This should put an end to the erroneous claims for both outrageous ballast
losses and low power factors.  Note that worst case for ballast losses is
best case for power factor, and v.v.  So, if a typical ballast dissipates 15
watts, the power factor is on the order of 0.93.

>Questions:
>1. Why is there a minimum starting temp for the ballast?

It has nothing to do with the ballast.  The lamp must be above a certain
temperature in order to get enough vaporized mercury to initiate the arc.

>2. Do today's ballasts come with a capacitor or other phase compensation
>to optimize the irregular, but predictable, current pattern of flourescent
>tubes?

The current pattern is very close to the voltage waveform; it is the
phosphor characteristic that minimizes flicker.  Some ballasts are lead-lag,
so that the two tubes have their maximum brightness at slightly different
times to reduce flicker.  Also, good commercial/industrial installations
will run the fixtures from alternate phases to reduce the strobe effect,
especially where there is rotating machinery.

Rich