[sci.electronics] Alternate Realities

albaugh@dms.UUCP (Mike Albaugh) (12/05/89)

From article <23737@datapg.MN.ORG>, by sewilco@datapg.MN.ORG (Scot E Wilcoxon):

> Another recent study found that the leukemia rate near nuclear plants
> was the same as near places where nuclear plants were proposed but
> were never built.  This suggests that something about a location which
> is a good site for a nuclear plant also makes it a good location for
> leukemia, or locations unsuitable for one are also unsuitable for the
> other.

	_Clearly_ a case of radiation leakage from the alternate realities
wherein the plants _were_ built. If you think getting nations (not to
mention town councils) to cooperate is tough, just wait for the first
United Universes conference on cross-reality pollution.

	Oh, yeah... :-):-):-):-):-)

					Mike

frankb@hpsad.HP.COM (Frank Ball) (12/06/89)

*From: jack@swlabs.UUCP (Jack Bonn)
*I was wondering: what ever happened to the use of high voltage DC for
*power transmission?  I understood that the high voltage inverters
*needed were technologically feasible, yet I've heard very little of
*this since.  It seems that this could reduce the varying magnetic field,
*thereby reducing the voltage induced in objects nearby.  Of course, this
*would raise the system's efficiency as well.

There is a high voltage DC line on the west coast.  I was at a power
plant on the Columbia River (between WA and OR).  I think it was called
the Bonniville hydroelectric plant or something like that.  They tied
into this high voltage DC line.  The switch yard for the AC to DC
conversion was *very* impressive.  It was huge.  I forget what voltage
DC they used but it was around 500 KV or more.   Because of the difficulty
and expense of the AC/DC conversion, they don't use DC for normal power
plant to customer distribution.  This line is used to move power between
power plants in different regions of the west coast, to help even out
supply and demand.

Frank Ball          frankb@hpsad.HP.COM