[sci.electronics] Power Lines Affect Computers??

root@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) (11/26/89)

I'm looking at a house that has power lines running at the rear edge of
the property and I'm wondering if radiation of any kind from those lines
might affect my computer, disks, whatever.  None of the people who live
there now have 11 fingers or 3 eyes or even one computer.  Does anyone
have any knowledge about the relative safety/danger of that environment
to people and electronic devices?

Thanks.

--
Pete Holsberg                UUCP: {...!rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Mercer College               CompuServe: 70240,334

In article <1989Nov25.213858.4811@mccc.uucp> root@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) writes:
>I'm looking at a house that has power lines running at the rear edge of
>the property and I'm wondering if radiation of any kind from those lines
>might affect my computer, disks, whatever.  None of the people who live
>there now have 11 fingers or 3 eyes or even one computer...

Health effects of living very near major power lines (the big ones with
the metal towers, not just ordinary local wire-on-pole types) are somewhat
controversial.  One or two studies have shown effects that are noticeable
enough to cause some concern, although attempts to replicate them have
not been uniformly successful.  There may be some small health hazard.
However, we're definitely talking about subtle, low-level effects from
large power lines.  Anything bigger would have been noticed long ago.

If you're talking about just an ordinary power line, not a high-voltage
transmission line, forget it.  *All* urban houses have such lines near
them, although in some cases the lines are buried rather than elevated.
You get much more exposure to magnetic fields etc. from the wiring in
your own walls.

Effects on computers will be zero unless something remarkable is going on.
Contrary to popular folklore, even a fairly respectable magnet needs to
be within a few millimeters of disks etc. to have any effect.
--
That's not a joke, that's      |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
NASA.  -Nick Szabo             | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com (11/27/89)

My advice would be to NOT buy the house. There have been several studies
that have tied cancer and high tension electric lines together. A recent
study even suggests that you not use an electric blanket!

	- Doug -

Doug_B_Erdely@Cup.Portal.Com

roy@phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) (11/27/89)

In article <24509@cup.portal.com> Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com writes:
> My advice would be to NOT buy the house. There have been several studies
> that have tied cancer and high tension electric lines together. A recent
> study even suggests that you not use an electric blanket!

	I think this was taken rather out of context.  The way I understood
it, there wasn't any real proof one way or the other but it was recommended
that pregnant women not use electric blankets only because if there is one
time it is justified to be paranoid about health risks, it's when you're
pregnant.  Anybody who is really worried about this would do well to ignore
anything heard on the net and look up the actual studies.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
{att,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy -or- roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu
"The connector is the network"

bobd@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Bob DeBula) (11/28/89)

Make of this what you will: I remember a study from several years ago
(10+) that a study by one of the power companies revealed that cows
would hang out by 765Kv towers, but horses would not.  I for a variety
of reasons would not buy close to a high tension line (nasty buzzing
noises, snap crackle pop & purple flashes that I have observed at one
near my house during rain storms, etc...).  I just can't help but feel
that close proximity isn't going to do you or your computers any
good.  I would expect interference on TV & radio to be worse than normal
also.
-=-
Bob DeBula                    | Internet:   bobd@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu
The Ohio State University     | Disclaimer: These are my views, not the U's
Davros sez:   When my Daleks compute they use X-TER-MI-NALS!

marc@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Marc Schroeder) (12/05/89)

In article <1989Nov25.213858.4811@mccc.uucp> root@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) writes:
>I'm looking at a house that has power lines running at the rear edge of
>the property and I'm wondering if radiation of any kind from those lines
>might affect my computer, disks, whatever.  None of the people who live
>there now have 11 fingers or 3 eyes or even one computer.  Does anyone
>have any knowledge about the relative safety/danger of that environment
>to people and electronic devices?
>
>Thanks.
>
>--
>Pete Holsberg                UUCP: {...!rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
>Mercer College               CompuServe: 70240,334
>1200 Old Trenton Road        GEnie: PJHOLSBERG
>Trenton, NJ 08690            Voice: 1-609-586-4800

I've heard people asking this same question before (ie. do high voltage
lines threaten health). I doubt it. The current flowing through the line
is a.c., yes, and that means there's a constantly changing electric field.
As you know, this means that the lines are giving off electromagnetic
radiation. HOWEVER, in North America a.c. only alternates at 120 Hz. This
means that the radiation being emitted is only 120 Hz. That is extremely
LOW, and is probably not a threat to anyone. Mutations due to exposure to
radiation are usually only found with much higher frequencies (ie. long
term exposure to UV light, gamma radiation, etc..).

I'd also guess that power lines can't harm your computer.

  /\ _  _      \        iNet/Envoy : m.schroeder (org. id = kort)
 (  / \/ \    / \       e-mail     : marc@cpsc.UCalgary.CA
   /  /  /   /   \      Fidonet    : Marc Schroeder @ 1:134/47
  /  /  / (_/____/
        \__/

 Marc A. Schroeder      * 1st year computer science
                          University of Calgary

irwin@m.cs.uiuc.edu (12/06/89)

/* Written 10:01 am  Dec  4, 1989 by marc@cpsc.ucalgary.ca in m.cs.uiuc.edu:sci.electronics */

In article <1989Nov25.213858.4811@mccc.uucp> root@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) writes:
>I'm looking at a house that has power lines running at the rear edge of
>the property and I'm wondering if radiation of any kind from those lines
>might affect my computer, disks, whatever.  None of the people who live
>there now have 11 fingers or 3 eyes or even one computer.  Does anyone
>have any knowledge about the relative safety/danger of that environment
>to people and electronic devices?
>
>Thanks.
>
>--
>Pete Holsberg                UUCP: {...!rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
>Mercer College               CompuServe: 70240,334
>1200 Old Trenton Road        GEnie: PJHOLSBERG
>Trenton, NJ 08690            Voice: 1-609-586-4800

+I've heard people asking this same question before (ie. do high voltage
+lines threaten health). I doubt it. The current flowing through the line
+is a.c., yes, and that means there's a constantly changing electric field.
+As you know, this means that the lines are giving off electromagnetic
+radiation. HOWEVER, in North America a.c. only alternates at 120 Hz. This
+means that the radiation being emitted is only 120 Hz. That is extremely
+LOW, and is probably not a threat to anyone. Mutations due to exposure to
+radiation are usually only found with much higher frequencies (ie. long
+term exposure to UV light, gamma radiation, etc..).

+I'd also guess that power lines can't harm your computer.

+  /\ _  _      \        iNet/Envoy : m.schroeder (org. id = kort)
+ (  / \/ \    / \       e-mail     : marc@cpsc.UCalgary.CA
+   /  /  /   /   \      Fidonet    : Marc Schroeder @ 1:134/47
+  /  /  / (_/____/
+        \__/

+ Marc A. Schroeder      * 1st year computer science
+                          University of Calgary

/* End of text from m.cs.uiuc.edu:sci.electronics */

AC in North America is <60 Hz>, not 120. (This seems to be real good
for keeping electric clocks on time)

Most nations have either 50 or 60 Hz, though I once lived in the Canal
Zone in Panama, where they had 25 Hz, and it was not too difficult to
detect the "movie projector flicker effect." First thing I did wrong
was to plug in my electric shaver and burn it up.

Al Irwin
Univ of Illinois
Dept of Comp Sci
irwin@m.cs.uiuc.edu