[sci.electronics] Anyone recognize these part numbers?

hacrat@athena.mit.edu (Nathaniel D. Osgood) (12/02/89)

I'm trying to find four electronic components for a friend;
unfortunately, all I've been given are the *names* of the parts, and
my friend isn't sure what they are.  My hunch is that they're
transistors, but a check of several parts catalogs hasn't turned up
anything.  Could anyone on this group tell me what these buggers are?

C2335
C4242
C3306

	Any hints would be enormously appreciated

						Nate Osgood

whit@milton.acs.washington.edu (John Whitmore) (12/02/89)

----- News saved at 2 Dec 89 02:18:16 GMT
In article <1989Dec1.212852.6807@athena.mit.edu> hacrat@athena.mit.edu (Nathaniel D. Osgood) writes:
>I'm trying to find four electronic components for a friend;
>
>C2335
>C4242
>C3306

	These are all Japanese transistor numbers, sometimes
written 2SCnnnn; I have a cross-reference for the first,
which is a NPN audio power transistor (replaceable by RCA SK9085
if you can find an SK-series dealer in your area).  The second
and third numbers aren't in my book (1985 edition) but a dealer
who stocks SK parts can probably find them.  All the Cnnnn parts
are audio frequency NPN bipolar transistors, if that helps.
	Parenthetically, some such components are matched with
diodes on the same heatsink, and replacements for such have
to be exact.  In addition to RCA SK series, Philips ECG series
is a widely stocked consumer equipment semiconductor replacement
line; check your phone book for either, under Electronic Equipment
and Supplies.

Newsgroups: Sci.Electronics
Subject: Re: Anyone Recognize these part numbers?

aaron@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (aaron.michael.chesir) (12/04/89)

In article <1989Dec1.212852.6807@athena.mit.edu>, hacrat@athena.mit.edu (Nathaniel D. Osgood) writes:
> I'm trying to find four electronic components for a friend;
> Could anyone on this group tell me what these buggers are?
>
> C2335
> C4242
> C3306

I looked at me 1989 IC Master (catalogue of all chips) and it lists the
CA3306 as a 6-bit A/D converter made by Harris Semiconductor. I find that
with almost all chips, the first alphabetic characters usually imply ONLY
the manufacturer. So I looked under 3306 and found the above. If I recall
correctly, the prefix C (as in C3306) implies RCA.

Hope this helps.

Aaron Michael Chesir
..att!twitch!aaron
AT&T Bell Labs
1-(201)-949-1530

brian@ucsd.Edu (Brian Kantor) (12/05/89)

In article <1989Dec1.212852.6807@athena.mit.edu>, hacrat@athena.mit.edu (Nathaniel D. Osgood) writes:
> I'm trying to find four electronic components for a friend;
> Could anyone on this group tell me what these buggers are?
>
> C2335
> C4242
> C3306

Japanese and Taiwan transistors are commonly marked this way; prepend 2S
to the part number and try looking that up.  I.e., 2SC2335, etc.

It's often the case that you need to know what kind of component the
device is before you can look it up properly; I've seen a transistor, a
battery, and a light bulb with the same part number.
	- Brian

jones@hood (Clark Jones) (12/08/89)

In article <10303@ucsd.Edu> brian@ucsd.edu (Brian Kantor) writes:
>In article <1989Dec1.212852.6807@athena.mit.edu>, hacrat@athena.mit.edu (Nathaniel D. Osgood) writes:
>> I'm trying to find four electronic components for a friend;
>> Could anyone on this group tell me what these buggers are?
>>
>> C2335
>> C4242
>> C3306
>
>Japanese and Taiwan transistors are commonly marked this way; prepend 2S
>to the part number and try looking that up.  I.e., 2SC2335, etc.
>
>It's often the case that you need to know what kind of component the
>device is before you can look it up properly; I've seen a transistor, a
>battery, and a light bulb with the same part number.
>	- Brian

An even more extreme case is "8008", which is either a primitive 8-bit CPU
chip or a power triode with capabilities around 15KW at 175 MHz!  The former
sell for a couple of bucks, if you can find 'em, the latter are several
hundred but are fairly common as a lot of TV stations use them for "finals".

						Clark

Disclaimer: the opinions expressed above are mine and not those of Schlumberger
because they are NOT covered by the patent agreement!