[sci.electronics] battery chargers

phil@diablo.amd.com (12/02/89)

I just found a source of 12 V 6 AH sealed no maintenance lead acid
batteries for $10 each. They seem to have a lot of applications (house
burglar alarm, CB radio power, video camera and lights, etc) so I am
looking for some advice on what a charger needs to do. What is an
appropriate fast charge rate? Is it ok to trickle charge them in a
burglar alarm application? What does the discharge curve look like?
How should a fast charger know when to turn off? Do lead acids have
the memory problems of NiCads? Is it ok to leave them flat? What is
the best condition to store them in?

And out of curiousity, how do the corresponding NiCad systems work?
I'm used to overnight, 1/10 rate chargers but lately I've seen a
Norelco cordless shaver that magically recharges in about an hour, as
well as a Makita 9.6V systems that recharges in about the same time. I
am told the Makita just dumps energy into the battery and stops when
it gets hot; it certainly does get hot. The cordless shaver doesn't
seem to get hot but it might be doing so inside, I think it stores a
lot less energy.
--
Phil Ngai, phil@diablo.amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil
AT&T Unix System V.4: Berkeley Unix for 386 PCs!

raoul@eplunix.UUCP (Otero) (12/03/89)

In article <28220@amdcad.AMD.COM>, phil@diablo.amd.com writes:
> I just found a source of 12 V 6 AH sealed no maintenance lead acid
> batteries for $10 each. They seem to have a lot of applications (house
> burglar alarm, CB radio power, video camera and lights, etc) so I am
> looking for some advice on what a charger needs to do. What is an
> appropriate fast charge rate? Is it ok to trickle charge them in a
> burglar alarm application? What does the discharge curve look like?
> How should a fast charger know when to turn off? Do lead acids have
> the memory problems of NiCads? Is it ok to leave them flat? What is
> the best condition to store them in?

Yuasa batteries has an excellent catalog, data sheets, and source of
information on how to treat sealed lead-acid batteries. Call them at
(800) 423-4667 or (800) 962-1287 for it.

In general, recharge at a constant current of <1/10th the AH rating.
Put a diode between the battery and your charger to prevent accidental
discharge, and make sure your maximum charging voltage is limited as
well. A CVCC (constant voltage constant current) recharger is your
best bet. There is an excellent recharging circuit shown in the National
Semiconductor data books for the LM317 and LM337 voltage regulators.
Just make sure your heat sink is big enough as well. If you send me
an address, I'll send you a diagram of the automatic recharging
circuit I set up for some medical instruments here. Don't leave them
flat, and do leave them charged in a cool well-ventilated place. They
don't have Ni-Cads memory problems, fortunately. Trickle charging should
not hurt a sealed lead-acid.
--
			Nico Garcia
			Designs by Geniuses for use by Idiots

In article <28220@amdcad.AMD.COM> phil@diablo.amd.com () writes:
>And out of curiousity, how do the corresponding NiCad systems work?
>I'm used to overnight, 1/10 rate chargers but lately I've seen a
>Norelco cordless shaver that magically recharges in about an hour, as
>well as a Makita 9.6V systems that recharges in about the same time. I
>am told the Makita just dumps energy into the battery and stops when
>it gets hot; it certainly does get hot...

You can recharge nicads at blinding speed if you are equipped to monitor
the temperature or internal pressure of the cells.  The problem is that
it's difficult to tell whether nicads are fully charged by looking at
their electrical behavior, and high-rate overcharging causes overheating
and internal pressure buildup.  Military nicad systems often have sensors
for pressure or temperature to permit rapid recharge.  It should be
possible for shavers and the like if the nicads are custom-made for them.

Exactly how the shavers do it, I'm not sure.  I took my Philips shaver
(Philips products are marketed under "Norelco" in the US for some reason)
apart a while ago out of curiosity.  In contrast to my old one, which
was about as simple as they come, this beast is pretty smart.  It knows
when it's low on charge, it knows when it's fully recharged, and you can
plug it into either 110V or 220V without flipping any switches.  Turns
out the thing has a zillion-legged IC inside it, along with assorted
other cryptic components.  Judging by the tiny little multi-winding
transformer, the lack of any obvious 110/220 switching even internally,
and the FCC-compliance sticker (!) on the case, I suspect it's a switching
power supply (!!) managed by that mysterious IC.  I didn't think to
look at the battery to see if it had any extra connections for something
like temperature sensing.
--
Mars can wait:  we've barely   |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
started exploring the Moon.    | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

kris@pnet02.gryphon.com (Kris Means) (12/06/89)

In article <28220@amdcad.AMD.COM> phil@diablo.amd.com writes:

>I just found a source of 12 V 6 AH sealed no maintenance lead acid
>batteries for $10 each. They seem to have a lot of applications (house
>burglar alarm, CB radio power, video camera and lights, etc) so I am
>looking for some advice on what a charger needs to do. What is an
>appropriate fast charge rate? Is it ok to trickle charge them in a
>burglar alarm application? What does the discharge curve look like?
>How should a fast charger know when to turn off? Do lead acids have
>the memory problems of NiCads? Is it ok to leave them flat? What is
>the best condition to store them in?

The July '86 issue of Radio Electronics magazine ran a construction
article for a "Universal Battery Charger" intended for gel-cells.

Basically, it uses a LM317 as a constant current source, and when
the terminal voltage approaches full charge, it trips an SCR that
brings the circuit back as a voltage regulator for a constant voltage
trickle, or "float" charge.

Klay-Corp in New York makes PC boards for the charger.  I changed
the layout to use it as a motorcycle battery charger (higher charge
rate) and sent the artwork to Klay-Corp, so be sure to specify which
version you want.

BTW, you can find the complete motorcycle battery charger article
in rec.motorcycles.

                    Klay Corporation, Inc.
                    106 Mark Drive
                    Syracuse, NY 13209-1808
                    (315) 635-5862

       Kristopher Means                   Luck is the residue
       Van Nuys, California                    of design.
       (818) 343-5850
       email: sometimes,
       not always.

UUCP: {ames!elroy, <backbone>}!gryphon!pnet02!kris
INET: kris@pnet02.gryphon.com

dkazdan@cwsys2..CWRU.Edu (David Kazdan) (12/06/89)

For lead-acid battery charging, Unitrode makes a chip that looks really
good:  the 3906 (2906, mil-spec).  I have a couple but have not built
the charger yet.  It monitors charge current and voltage, keeps the
charged battery going through a slight charge/discharge cycle, monitors
ambient temperature internally to adjust its charging parameters, etc.

The manufacturer's application notes are involved.  There was a cookbook
sort of article about it in QST for July (I think) 1987.

--David

bill@videovax.tv.tek.com (William K. McFadden) (12/09/89)

In article <28220@amdcad.AMD.COM> phil@diablo.amd.com () writes:
>I just found a source of 12 V 6 AH sealed no maintenance lead acid
>batteries for $10 each.

New?  How can I get some?

>What is an appropriate fast charge rate?

Usually .2C max. for gel-cells, which is 1.2 A for a 6 AH battery.

>Is it ok to trickle charge them in a burglar alarm application?

Yes.  You will want to use 2.35 V/cell, e.g., 14.1 volts. (Some people like
2.3 V/cell, giving 13.8 volts.)

>What does the discharge curve look like?

At 25 degrees C, the open circuit voltage is about 2.18 V when fully charged
declining linearly to 1.98 V when 10% of capacity is left.

>How should a fast charger know when to turn off?

If you use a regulated supply for your charger, it will shut off by itself as
the battery reaches full charge. A constant 2.35 V/cell charger will recharge a
battery to 90% within 2 hours, and the battery can be left float charging at
2.35 V/cell indefinitely to maintain full charge.  Extremely dead cells may go
above the .2C rate if fed from a 2.35 V/cell charger.  Going above this rate
may cause excessive outgassing, which will eventually dry out the electrolyte.
It is best, therefore, to limit charging current to .2C for gel-cells (which
will result in a longer recharge time).  Wet cells can be recharged at higher
rates.

>Do lead acids have the memory problems of NiCads?

No.  However, it is important to fully recharge lead-acid cells, with 2.35
V/cell optimum for batteries that are cycled once per week or less, and 2.45
V/cell for batteries that are cycled once per day.

>Is it ok to leave them flat?

No.  The minimum voltage allowed during discharge is 1.6 V/cell, and lead-acid
batteries should not be allowed to self-discharge below 1.8 V/cell.  If allowed
to discharge below 1.8 V/cell while in storage, the battery will take longer
than normal to recharge, and the next discharge cycle cannot deliver the rated
capacity.  Subsequent cycles, however, will result in an increase in capacity
to the rated capacity.

If you let a lead-acid battery discharge completely to 0 volts, the electrolyte
turns to water and is therefore not conductive.  You can remedy this, however.
Using a constant-current source, charge the cells at a .1C rate.  This may
require as much as 20 V/cell if the cell is extremely dead.  When the voltage
falls to about 2.5 V/cell, switch to a constant voltage, 2.35 V/cell charge
until charging current levels off (e.g., reaches a minimum).

>What is the best condition to store them in?

Since they're sealed, humidity is not a concern, and gel-cells may be stored or
used in any position.  As with all batteries, the rate of self-discharge is a
strong function of temperature.  After 5 months of storage at 20 deg C, the
typical battery will have 60% capacity remaining.  At 40 deg C, however, the
battery would be fully discharged after 5 months.

>And out of curiousity, how do the corresponding NiCad systems work?

Standard chargers normally charge at .1C for 14 hours, since this allows a very
simple charging circuit -- batteries can be overcharged at .1C for extended
periods without drastic reductions in life.  Fast chargers usually sense
temperature, starting as high as 4C, and tapering off as the cells get warm.  I
have also heard of fast chargers using temperature compensated voltage
detection and detection of the voltage reduction that occurs after full charge
has occurred.  Nicad batteries in memory backup applications are usually
continuously current trickle-charged at .002C to .1C.  I can tell you more
about nicads if you're interested.

For a cheap charging circuit for lead-acid or nicad batteries, see LB35 in the
National Semiconductor Linear Applications Handbook.

Most of my information comes from "Summary of Battery Chemistries," Maxim
1988/89 Seminar Applications Book, parts of which were quoted above.
Additional information about reviving dead gel-cells came from an article
posted by Jan Steinman to sci.electronics on 9/3/87.
--
Bill McFadden    Tektronix, Inc.  P.O. Box 500  MS 58-639  Beaverton, OR  97077
UUCP: bill@videovax.Tek.com,  {hplabs,uw-beaver,decvax}!tektronix!videovax!bill