[sci.electronics] cows and high tension wires

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (11/30/89)

As part of the obligatory stuff necessary to get through undergrad
EE school, I recall taking a course named, "energy conversions,"
that dealt with giant electric motors, 100 KVa transformers and
ower transmission lines.

One of the readings was on transmission lines.  It discussed that
power disspated in the space surrounding the lines is substantial,
and field strenghths can be several hunderd volts per meter in the
close environs.  The article mentioned that cows in the vicinty of
transmission lines tend to line up with the major axis of their
bodies parallel to the tranmission line.  The feeling (literally??)
was that it was more comfortable for the cows to line up that way,
as their bodies would subtend a smaller number of isopotential
field lines, and thus the impressed voltage on the cow would be
smaller.

As far as living close to an AC transmission line goes, I'd worry
more about what unknown thing it might do to me, rather than
anything that might happen to my computer!

There have been some articles that border on pseudoscience
circulating lately that claim a correlation of cancer incidence an
living close to a large source of 60 Hz H field!  You read that
right.  The author cliamed that 60 Hz magnetic fields correlate to
incidence of lukemia.  His reasoning was that people that lived
close to the head end of a power line where the currents in the
line are higher suffered more cancers than people that lived near
the end.  What the article did not mention was if other causitive
factors such as people that live near the head end might be
exposed to higher levels of emissions from the utility or other
industry were accounted for.  The sample population was also
relatively small.

The earth's magnetic field (though virtually steady-state) can be
measured in Tesla, while the H field more than a few hundred feet
from a transmission line would be fractional Webers/m^2.  Why is a
60 Hz alternating field more deleterious than a steady state
field?...  One theory was that the alternating field disrupts RNA
durring cell division.  Why wouldn't the earth's field be a
problem?  The RNA in the cell is moving around, so it is going to
be cutting field lines of the earth's feild which are much stronger
than any field from the power lines nearby.

Perhaps, the original poster was just trying to whip up some
network fury?  It wouldn't surpirse me to see several hundred
articles on the subject.

Bill
wtm@neoucom.edu

jans@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Jan Steinman) (12/02/89)

I g g g grew up grew up up quite near high t t t ten tension tension lines, and
I t t t turned out turned out out okay okay!

Seriously, one thing that left a big impression was being up in my tree house,
looking over the fields at the quite noticeable "bump" running directly under
the lines where all the crops grew bigger.  My dad always said he wouldn't make
any money farming if it weren't for those power lines!

The latest Science News reported on research that showed statistical
correlation between leukemia and telephone linemen.  One interesting point was
that the researcher had been a skeptic, and had in fact produced an earlier
study sponsored by the electrical power industry that showed no correlation!
Details on request, but first see if your library stocks Science News.

							   Jan Steinman - N7JDB
					Tektronix Electronic Systems Laboratory
					Box 500, MS 50-370, Beaverton, OR 97077
						(w)503/627-5881 (h)503/657-7703

sewilco@datapg.MN.ORG (Scot E Wilcoxon) (12/03/89)

In article <1845@neoucom.UUCP> wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:
>There have been some articles that border on pseudoscience
>...  people that lived
>close to the head end of a power line where the currents in the
>line are higher suffered more cancers than people that lived near
>the end. ...

Another recent study found that the leukemia rate near nuclear plants
was the same as near places where nuclear plants were proposed but
were never built.  This suggests that something about a location which
is a good site for a nuclear plant also makes it a good location for
leukemia, or locations unsuitable for one are also unsuitable for the
other.
--
Scot E. Wilcoxon  sewilco@DataPg.MN.ORG    {amdahl|hpda}!bungia!datapg!sewilco
Data Progress 	 UNIX masts & rigging  +1 612-825-2607    uunet!datapg!sewilco

jack@swlabs.UUCP (Jack Bonn) (12/05/89)

In article <1845@neoucom.UUCP> wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:
>One of the readings was on transmission lines.  It discussed that
>power disspated in the space surrounding the lines is substantial,
>and field strenghths can be several hunderd volts per meter in the
>close environs.

I was wondering: what ever happened to the use of high voltage DC for
power transmission?  I understood that the high voltage inverters
needed were technologically feasible, yet I've heard very little of
this since.  It seems that this could reduce the varying magnetic field,
thereby reducing the voltage induced in objects nearby.  Of course, this
would raise the system's efficiency as well.

Mr. DC himself, Thomas Edison, would be proud.
--
Jack Bonn, KA1SMW, <> Software Labs, Ltd, Box 451, Easton CT  06612
uunet!swlabs!jack (UUCP)	jack%swlabs.uucp@uunet.uu.net (INTERNET)

torkil@psivax.UUCP (Torkil Hammer) (12/05/89)

In article <6446@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM> jans@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Jan Steinman) writes:
#
#Seriously, one thing that left a big impression was being up in my tree house,
#looking over the fields at the quite noticeable "bump" running directly under
#the lines where all the crops grew bigger.

The explanation I read about 30 years ago was in terms of metals leaching
out of the wires, specifically zinc, and droppings from resting birds, and
the scarecrow effect the buzzing has on various munchers.
Is it still good?

#The latest Science News reported on research that showed statistical
#correlation between leukemia and telephone linemen.  One interesting point was

The most convincing explanation I have seen is in terms of PCB and
other chemicals used where linemen go.  These chemicals are no longer
used but there is a lot of old equipment out there.

In article <8902@swlabs.UUCP> jack@swlabs.UUCP (Jack Bonn) writes:
>I was wondering: what ever happened to the use of high voltage DC for
>power transmission?  ...

It's done here and there, usually for some special reason like making
a connection between two power grids that aren't synchronized to each
other.  There is enough inconvenience involved in converting from AC
to DC and back that there usually needs to be a good reason.
--
Mars can wait:  we've barely   |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
started exploring the Moon.    | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

ems@Apple.COM (Mike Smith) (12/06/89)

In article <2965@psivax.UUCP> torkil@psivax.UUCP (Torkil Hammer) writes:
>In article <6446@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM> jans@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Jan Steinman) writes:
>#
>#Seriously, one thing that left a big impression was being up in my tree house,
>#looking over the fields at the quite noticeable "bump" running directly under
>#the lines where all the crops grew bigger.
>
>The explanation I read about 30 years ago was in terms of metals leaching
>out of the wires, specifically zinc, and droppings from resting birds, and
                                ^^^^
Most big wires today are aluminum, in the past they were copper.  Why zinc?
Electrolytically refined copper has little zinc left in it.

The birds tent to congregate on the towers.  Was/is there a higher growth
under the tower than under the 'droop'?

--

E. Michael Smith  ems@apple.COM

'Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it.  Boldness has
 genius, power and magic in it.'  -  Goethe

I am not responsible nor is anyone else.  Everything is disclaimed.

elliott@optilink.UUCP (Paul Elliott x225) (12/07/89)

> In article <6446@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM> jans@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Jan Steinman) writes:
>The latest Science News reported on research that showed statistical
>correlation between leukemia and telephone linemen.[...]

I just saw a newspaper item re: this report.  I found it interesting that the
absolute number of cases was 6 or 7 (as I recall).  I don't remember if the
sample size was mentioned.  Has anyone seen a statistical analysis of the
data (std deviation, chi-squared, etc.)?  The number of cases seems pretty
small to draw any strong conclusions.

This is an interesting topic, but much of the reporting on it seems to have
a pretty obvious socio-political axe to grind, so I remain "cautiously
skeptical".

--
Paul M. Elliott      Optilink Corporation     (707) 795-9444
         {pyramid,pixar,tekbspa}!optilink!elliott

roy@phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) (12/07/89)

In article <5605@internal.Apple.COM>, ems@Apple.COM (Mike Smith) writes:
> Most big wires today are aluminum

	Actually, most big wires today are a combination of aluminum and
steel, what they call ACSR (Aluminum Conductor Steel Reinforced).  It's a
central strand of steel with 6 (I think) strands of similar guage aluminum
wrapped around it.  The aluminum carries essentially all of the current (a
combination of both skin effect and the higher conductivity) and the steel
provides structural strength.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
{att,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy -or- roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu
"The connector is the network"

harrison@sunny.DAB.GE.COM (Gregory Harrison) (12/09/89)

In article <1845@neoucom.UUCP> wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:

>The earth's magnetic field (though virtually steady-state) can be
>measured in Tesla, while the H field more than a few hundred feet
>from a transmission line would be fractional Webers/m^2.  Why is a
>60 Hz alternating field more deleterious than a steady state

From memory, the Earth's magnetic field is 5 microTeslas, and since 1 Wb/m^2
is 1 T, large fractional Wb would be more powerful than 5 microT.  Thus
there would be more physiological effects due to the 60 Hz radiation.
I also heard that anemia may be induced by 60 Hz radiation (again, from
memory, no references)

Greg Harrison
My opinions are not intended to reflect those of GE.