[sci.electronics] creating a robotic-sounding voice

BRL102@PSUVM.BITNET (Ben Liblit) (12/09/89)

I am currently running a robot character in a super heros role playing game.  I
would love to be able to create a robotic-sounding voice for this character.
Does anyone have any ideas for how I could rig something up to do this with
*cheap* electronic parts?  I'm *not* looking for speech synthesis, just
something that would alter (modulate?) input to a microphone to give it a
metalic or robotic sound.

I am not a regular read of this newsgroup, so direct e-mail replies would be
greatly appreciated.

                          Ben Liblit
                          BRL102 @ psuvm.bitnet -- BRL102 @ psuvm.psu.edu
                          "Fais que tes reves soient plus longues que la nuit."

kg19+@andrew.cmu.edu (Kurt A. Geisel) (12/11/89)

Altering the voice can be done in several ways.  The most effective
and dramatic method, the one most associated with robots in movies and
TV, is by means of a device called a Vocoder.  A Vocoder modulates an
electronic signal (usually a harmonically rich oscillator, like a
sawtooth wave) with the speech pattern of the speaker.  It does this
by a form of spectrum analysis- a set of N filters giving N bands of
resolution.  When a filter is excited by its particular band from the
human voice (or any other sound, for that matter) it opens the
corresponding band filter on the noise source.  The result is the
"robot voice" as we know it from science fiction.  Unfortunately, as
you may have guessed, the circuit isn't cheap or simple.  You need at
least eight bands for intelligable voice.  The cheapest vocoder I know
of is a $99 kit from PAIA Electronics, an electronic music hobbyist
supplier whose address is listed below.

Other methods are pitch shifting, also not cheap; flanging, which can
be done cheaply be is always very dramatic.  Another thing I might
consider are those "voice disguiser" circuits sold in electronic
countermeasures catalogs.  There is a particular good set of plans (we
should be able to be made fairly cheaply) sold by Consumertronics.

PAIA Electronics, Inc.
3200 Teakwood Lane
Edmond, OK 73013
405-340-6300

Consumertronics Co.
John J. Williams MSEE
PO Box Drawer 537
Alamogordo, NM 88310

- Kurt
Kurt Geisel                       SNAIL :
Carnegie Mellon University            65 Lambeth Dr.
ARPA : kg19+@andrew.cmu.edu           Pittsburgh, PA 15241
UUCP : uunet!nfsun!kgeisel  "I will not be pushed, filed, indexed, stamped,
BIX  : kgeisel               briefed, debriefed, or numbered!" - The Prisoner

adam@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Adam Glass) (12/11/89)

I don't know how helpful this will be, but I've created robotic
sounding voices from regular speech by echoing the voice with a
repition rate of (around) .015 seconds and an repition strength
of 97+ percent.  Experiment with those values for best result.

Adam

gil@limbic.UUCP (Gil Kloepfer Jr.) (12/11/89)

In article <89343.021509BRL102@PSUVM.BITNET> BRL102@PSUVM.BITNET (Ben Liblit) writes:
>I am currently running a robot character in a super heros role playing game.  I
>would love to be able to create a robotic-sounding voice for this character.
>                          Ben Liblit
>                          BRL102 @ psuvm.bitnet -- BRL102 @ psuvm.psu.edu

You might try one of those reverb (echo) boxes adjusted for a really small
time delay.  I whipped one of those things up one time with the bucket
brigade chip (can't remember the number off hand) they used to sell at
radio shack (it was an analog shift register with two channels, and the
unit would shift the signal through a series some kind of analog flip-flop,
one per clock pulse, with a total of 512 pulses to get from input to
output).

To make a long story short, it sounded much like what you mention.  You
might try one of those.

----

kenmoore@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Kenneth L Moore) (12/12/89)

In article <IZUeQ7W00WB5I34JB9@andrew.cmu.edu> kg19+@andrew.cmu.edu (Kurt A. Geisel) writes:
==>"robot voice" as we know it from science fiction.  Unfortunately, as
==>you may have guessed, the circuit isn't cheap or simple.
==>
==>- Kurt
==>Kurt Geisel                       SNAIL :
==>Carnegie Mellon University            65 Lambeth Dr.

Hmmm. My son had a "Masters of the Universe" (He man) Castle Greyskull
and it had a voice disguiser built in. The castle and voice disguiser
cost less than $60.00. I would guess that the mark up had to be
at least 50% so the electronics had to be less than $30.00 in bulk.