[sci.electronics] old part identification

keith@ux.acss.umn.edu (Keith MaloneyHuss) (12/16/89)

While rumaging in a collection of old electronics parts (1940's-70's)
I found a device that is interesting and I wondered if it could be
identified.
It is a small black (bakelite, I believe) cylinder about 1cm diameter and
2cm long.  One end in closed except for a small hole that allows a wire
to exit, while the other end is open with internal threads.  In the threaded
end is a metal threaded plug with a central hole that also allows a wire to
exit this end.  Basically, it looks like an axial lead capacitor.
The interesting part is inside.  When I unscrewed the threaded plug, I found
that under the plug was a spring compressing about twenty thin round metallic
plates together.  The plates are dark grey on one side, and the other side
looks like a cold solder joint (rough, crystalline, and shiny silver).
This appears to be a mechanism that compresses twenty plates together and
connects a wire to each end of the stack.  My guess is some kind
of rectifier?
There are numbers on the outside of the case: OKV26  K2  6A6 Q
I'm really curious.  Does anyone know what this is?
Thanks in advance.
--keith

tomb@hplsla.HP.COM (Tom Bruhns) (12/20/89)

keith@ux.acss.umn.edu (Keith MaloneyHuss) writes:
>While rumaging in a collection of old electronics parts (1940's-70's)
>I found a device that is interesting and I wondered if it could be
>identified.

You characterized it pretty well mechanically -- how about electrically?
Did you try to measure resistances both directions?  How about reverse
voltage (assuming it really is a rectifier...).
Based on your description, I would _guess_ it is a high voltage, low
current rectifier (e.g., for a CRT anode supply).  Perhaps selenium?

mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) (12/20/89)

Sounds just like a selenium rectifier.  To confirm, heat up one of the plates
with a soldering iron.  If it makes a sickly sweet sort of smell, that's
selenium.  (Selenium is poisonous, so you might not want to do this;  all I
know is I've done it, and it hasn't hurt m-m-m-e-m-e-m-e-e-e-e.)

[I tried to mail this, but mail bounced it back to me.]