[sci.electronics] Design wanted !

paulf@solist.htsa.aha.nl (Paul Ferron) (12/20/89)

I'm looking for a design to convert a 9V DC to 1800V.

It is for a Neontube  of about 500 mm long.

The design has to be with  an oscilator.

thanks in advance.

* RETURN MAIL TO :             So much to learn,                  *
* paulf@solist.htsa.aha.nl                       so little time...*

richm@amc-gw.amc.com (Rich Moran) (12/21/89)

}
}It is for a Neontube  of about 500 mm long.
}
}The design has to be with  an oscilator.
}
}thanks in advance.
}

How much current does it need to supply at 1800VDC?

How much peak and average current can your 9VDC source?

Rich Moran
richm@amc.com

mac@harris.cis.ksu.edu (Myron A. Calhoun) (12/21/89)

In article <1269@maestro.htsa.aha.nl> paulf@solist.htsa.aha.nl (Paul Ferron) writes:
>I'm looking for a design to convert a 9V DC to 1800V.

>It is for a Neontube  of about 500 mm long.

>The design has to be with  an oscilator.

>thanks in advance.

I hope you aren't trying to start with a 9-volt "transistor" battery!

I don't know how much current a Ne tube will need, but let's assume
one milliampere (that's about what I put through an Ne-2 pilot lamp);
let's also assume a 50 percent efficiency in the conversion:

0.001 amp x 1800 volts = 1.8 watts.
1.8 watts x 2 = 3.6 watts when allowing for conversion inefficiency.
3.6 watts / 9 volts = 0.4 amps = 400 milliamperes,

which is about 10 times the maximum practical current drain on a
little "transistor" battery.  Of course, several of my assumptions
may be wrong.
--
--Myron.
# Myron A. Calhoun, Ph.D. E.E.; Associate Professor

pophal@nicmad.UUCP (Gerry Pophal) (12/23/89)

The March 1989 issue of Radio-Electronics has an article on page 33 titled
Build this universal laser power supply. It boosts 12v up to 1200-3000 volts.
Also there are dc laser supplies available commercialy/surplus.
       gp

jgk@osc.COM (Joe Keane) (12/23/89)

In article <1989Dec20.184339.21760@deimos.cis.ksu.edu> mac@harris.cis.ksu.edu (Myron A. Calhoun) writes:
>I hope you aren't trying to start with a 9-volt "transistor" battery!
>
>I don't know how much current a Ne tube will need, but let's assume
>one milliampere (that's about what I put through an Ne-2 pilot lamp);
>let's also assume a 50 percent efficiency in the conversion:
>
>0.001 amp x 1800 volts = 1.8 watts.
>1.8 watts x 2 = 3.6 watts when allowing for conversion inefficiency.
>3.6 watts / 9 volts = 0.4 amps = 400 milliamperes,
>
>which is about 10 times the maximum practical current drain on a
>little "transistor" battery.  Of course, several of my assumptions
>may be wrong.

Hmm, what is a good drain on a transistor battery?  All i know is that i have
run small HeNe tubes from them and a wimpy switching power supply.

The power output of batteries can be impressive, especially for short surges.
The short-circuit current of a good D cell is something like 20 amperes, and a
car battery can put out up to 500 amperes to cold-crank the starter motor.

Anyway, back to the original question.  There are a bunch of ways to do it,
but they all come down to rapidly changing the current in a coil to induce a
voltage, in that coil or a different one.

Here's a circuit description off the top of my head.  Run a 555 from the
battery to make a 20KHz or so signal, which gates some power FETs.  These
switch a capacitor forwards and backwards into the primary of a step-up
transformer, which has diodes clamping it to prevent having hundreds of volts
across the FETs.  This capacitor is recharged from the battery through a small
resistance, the idea being to supply current spikes from the capacitor rather
than the battery.  On the transformer secondary you may have a couple stages
of a voltage multiplier ladder, then a final capacitor to dump into.

That's the general idea.  To make it specific you need to know the output
current needed and the allowable drain on the battery.  You have to find an
available transformer, and get its turns ratio and magnetizing inductance.
Then you can figure out what the FETs have to be rated for, what sort of
ladder (if any) you want, and a whole slew of appropriate capacitor values.

mac@harris.cis.ksu.edu (Myron A. Calhoun) (12/24/89)

In article <1765@osc.COM> jgk@osc.COM (Joe Keane) writes:
>In article <1269@maestro.htsa.aha.nl> paulf@solist.htsa.aha.nl (Paul Ferron) writes:
>>I'm looking for a design to convert a 9V DC to 1800V.

[many lines deleted]

>Hmm, what is a good drain on a transistor battery?  All i know is that i have
>run small HeNe tubes from them and a wimpy switching power supply.

From an Eveready Battery Applications & Engineering Data book: (ca. 1965!)
 Ever.  ASA   Sug.  Hours  Start Serv.  Hours  Start Serv.  Hours  Start Serv.
 Numbr  Type  Mamps perday Curr. Hours  perday Curr. Hours  perday Curr. Hours
  915    AA   0-25    2     10     92     8     10     64    24      1   1040
                            30     20           30     10            2    420
                                                                     5    130

  935    C    0-80    2     10    190     4     10    210    24     2.5  1000
		            50     33           50     25            5    440
                           100     13          100      7           10    170

  950    D    0-150   2     10    450     4     10    530    24     10    500
		           100     35          100     30           20    165
                           200     11.5        200      9           30     88

  216  9Volt  0-8     2     12     34     4      9     46
      "xstr"                16     24

       Ni-Cd  0-1500       150     10.5        300      4.5        450      3

My complete table (copied laboriously from the original--no photocopy
available then) also includes weights, volumes, cutoff voltages, and
some other stuff.

Please note that the above data was from ONE manufacturer and is very OLD.
Surely cells have been much improved since then.  It would be interesting
to ask Eveready for an updated chart--if anyone does, please post.
--Myron.
# Myron A. Calhoun, Ph.D. E.E.; Associate Professor
# Department of Computing & Information Sciences    (913) 539-4448 home
# Kansas State University, Manhattan KS 66506             532-6350 work