[sci.electronics] Lynx protocol

tjm@nsscb.UUCP (Timothy J. Murphy) (12/22/89)

	Atari, expectedly, isn't forthcoming w/ any decent technical info
on the Lynx, specifically the ComLynx port, so now I turn to the world's
most secret pool of knowledge: you people on the Net!
	I'd like to find out just how the heck data is sent over this thing.
The connector looks like an RCA mini phono plug, with 3 distinct areas,
check out below:

        _____________        _
                     \------/ \
		       |   |   >
	_____________/------\_/

	I assume one section is transmit, one receive, and finally a signal
ground. I'm going to start my Lynx w/ California Games, which allows for
2 players, hook it up to an analyzer, and see if I can determine where transmit,
receive, etc. are coming from, and what the protocol is. I'm obviously making
the assumption this is a serial link, but I can't think of anything else
that'll make sense (which may just be my inexperience in this area, since
this type of hacking isn't my normal arena). If anyone has any ideas, insights,
warnings, ANYTHING, please let me know! There's scads of potential locked up
in this thing and I want to start getting at it!!!!

						Thanks hugely,

							Tim Murphy

						...!ulysses!nsscb!tjm
							or
						...!acsu.buffalo.edu!nsscb!tjm

danscott@atari.UUCP (Dan Scott) (12/23/89)

in article <1180@nsscb.UUCP>, tjm@nsscb.UUCP (Timothy J. Murphy) says:

> 	Atari, expectedly, isn't forthcoming w/ any decent technical info
> on the Lynx, specifically the ComLynx port, so now I turn to the world's
> most secret pool of knowledge: you people on the Net!

I don't recall seeing much technical information on *ANY* hand-held
video game.  Unless you consider a hint-book for game play a technical
manual.

Dan

In article <1180@nsscb.UUCP> tjm@nsscb.UUCP (Timothy J. Murphy) writes:
>[ Howzit work? ]

	It's serial.  The baud rate is programmable.  Also the protocol may
not necessarily be the same from game to game.  Remember, this is a Toy;
there ain't no operating system, so the game authors can do anything they
want to the hardware.

	There are specifications laid down for Lynx development, and plenty
of example code and core routines, but the developers are free to ignore
them (at their own risk, of course).

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	INET: well!ewhac@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	UUCP: pacbell > !{well,unicom}!ewhac
	 "Because you never know who might want to sit in your lap."