[sci.electronics] telephone systems/transformers

peg@psuecl.bitnet (PAUL E. GANTER) (12/31/89)

In article <12218@mcdphx.phx.mcd.mot.com>, hbg6@citek.UUCP (John Schuch) writes:

> The 16Vac transformer usually drives the LEDs which light up the dial
> on 'trim line' style phones. If you don't have those phones, possibly
> someone else did and left the transformer. I usually remove it and toss
> it into my shop junk box ( I'll find a use for them SOME day :-) ).

As I mentioned in a previous post, the phone companies recalled a large
number of these transformers several years ago.  They were found to be
a fire hazard.  I was thrilled to find one in my present rental property.
It is possible that you are finding newer, safer versions of the things,
but I'd be a little cautious about reusing them.

Paul