[sci.electronics] -How do you pick the right capacitor?

cyamamot@girtab.usc.edu (Cliff Yamamoto) (12/22/89)

Observation   :	I've read and seen circuits where a large value electrolytic &
		a small value mylar capacitor are wired in parallel for
		filtering.  My understanding is that the small value mylar is
		for high frequency filtering and the large electrolytic for
		low frequency filtering.

Problem       :	I want to filter the AUDIBLE whining noise from the alternator
		in my car  (Yes I know about other methods, but I want to try
		stopping the problem at the source).

Question      :	How are these capacitor values calculated?

I'm asking because I was going to pluck down $30 for a 61,000 uFD 50 Vdc
electrolytic capacitor to use as a filter across the alternator output.  But
then I remembered that a large valued capacitor does not filter ripple
for ALL frequencies (it would probably just filter lower audible frequencies,
not the irritating higher pitched whining sound).

Again, I'd like to ask those analog and power supply gurus out there how
one selects the proper values capacitor(s) for filtering ripples that have
frequencies in the audio as well as RF ranges.  How are these parallel
combinations of capacitors actually chosen?  Is there any kind of formula
to use?  Are there any pros and cons?

Thanks for any info!
Cliff

jeffw@midas.WR.TEK.COM (Jeff Winslow) (01/04/90)

In article <7152@chaph.usc.edu> cyamamot@girtab.usc.edu (Cliff Yamamoto) writes:

>Again, I'd like to ask those analog and power supply gurus out there how
>one selects the proper values capacitor(s) for filtering ripples that have
>frequencies in the audio as well as RF ranges.  How are these parallel
>combinations of capacitors actually chosen?  Is there any kind of formula
>to use?  Are there any pros and cons?

For every capacitor you can draw an impedance curve with respect to frequency.
Real capacitors have series inductance (leads, and plates wound in a cylinder)
and series resistance (leads, plates, some dielectric losses?), so, above a
certain frequency they don't act like a capacitor. Electrolytic caps have high
ESR's relative to capacitive reactance near the series resonant point, so they
have broad minima in their impedance curves. Film and ceramic capacitors tend
to have much smaller ESR's relative to capacitive reactance at the resonant
point, and so can have quite a sharp minimum. The thing to do is probably to
get the impedance-frequency curves of a whole lot of parts you think might be
useful, and try to overlap selected ones to get an impedance that stays below
what you need to filter out your ripple. (Of course, this is going to depend
on the output impedance of your alternator and connection to it.) Watch out
that you don't start getting parallel resonances when you do this - say, from
the ESL of the electrolytic combined with the C of a film capacitor. You could
play around with SPICE to see what your impedance curve might look like, but
since no SPICE I know of models frequency-dependent resistance, the simulation
will be pretty approximate.

						Jeff Winslow