[sci.electronics] Radar gun zapper: fact or fiction?

peg@psuecl.bitnet (PAUL E. GANTER) (12/29/89)

Hey!  I know the following may sound crazy--I am doubtful myself.

My stepfather was recently talking to a long-haul trucker at a truck
stop.  The guy told a tale about blasting radar guns using a very simple
device.  Apparently the guy had an ordinary fluorescent tube mounted
in a reflector, with no power applied.  He had copper strip wrapped
around the tube with a regular spacing.  He placed the device inside
his windshield facing forward, and when hit with a radar gun....

                   POOF!!

goes the radar gun.  Now, granted, this sounds far-fetched, but maybe
the thing acts as a resonator?!?  I don't know:  I avoid microwave
stuff like the plague.

If anyone has heard a similar tale or wants to comment on the
possibilities, I would be interested.  By the way, I have NO
interest in building this thing.  I don't drive like a maniac.
The interest is purely academic.

Paul

random@cbnewse.ATT.COM (Random @ rebmA) (12/30/89)

From article <74719@psuecl.bitnet>, by peg@psuecl.bitnet (PAUL E. GANTER):
> Hey!  I know the following may sound crazy--I am doubtful myself.

Your inherrent wisdom shines through.

> My stepfather was recently talking to a long-haul trucker at a truck
> stop.  The guy told a tale about blasting radar guns using a very simple
> device.  Apparently the guy had an ordinary fluorescent tube mounted
> in a reflector, with no power applied.  He had copper strip wrapped
> around the tube with a regular spacing.  He placed the device inside
> his windshield facing forward, and when hit with a radar gun....
>
>                    POOF!!
Since I know only basic theory, I'll be the first to come up with
an explaination of how this might work (instead of all the reasons
it can't).

The 'reflector' was of a material and curvature/size ratio to properly
focus a majority of the incomming microwave radiation on the (reasonably
intact) fluorescent tube. The fact the the tube is unpowered is not
relevant since that would just give us visible spectrum, and we need a
microwave spectrum. But the phosphor coating in the tube would be
Stimulated to Emit Radiation, and would therefore be a Microwave
Amplifier. And we would call this device a . . . MASER, yea, thats
the ticket. And I own, no make, no HOLD THE PATENT on it, yea, and
I'm working a deal to sell it to. . . to Iran for a mil A BILLION
dollars and be a hero like Oliie North who is my role model, no
good buddy, no EMPLOYEE, yea.

	Random
	:^)

ee5391aa@hydra.unm.edu (Duke McMullan n5gax) (12/30/89)

In article <74719@psuecl.bitnet> peg@psuecl.bitnet (PAUL E. GANTER) writes:
>Hey!  I know the following may sound crazy--I am doubtful myself.
>
>My stepfather was recently talking to a long-haul trucker at a truck
>stop.  The guy told a tale about blasting radar guns using a very simple
>device.  Apparently the guy had an ordinary fluorescent tube mounted
>in a reflector, with no power applied.  He had copper strip wrapped
>around the tube with a regular spacing.  He placed the device inside
>his windshield facing forward, and when hit with a radar gun....
>
>                   POOF!!
>
>goes the radar gun.  Now, granted, this sounds far-fetched....

Yea, verily, doth this indeed sound far-fetched. It sounds to me about on par
with the gag of getting a toilet to explode by flushing a quart of turpentine.

FWIW, a ham I know relates the tale of the time a cop pulled him over, and
told him that the cop saw him start talking into his microphone (2 meter
mobile rig, with a 75 watt RF power amp as an afterburner...this guy believes
that power pays....) just as the cop's radar went ten-toes-up. My friend was
puzzled, and had a look at the radar unit -- sure enough, it wasn't working.
He shrugged and told the cop the only thing he could think of was that the IF
might be close to the 2M band, and something in there had gotten cooked when
he keyed his mike.

The cop asked, "What's an IF?"

After a basic introductory lecture on radio, the cop had a rough idea. He
called my friend a couple of weeks later, and related that a note he had rec-
eived from the factory when the radar was sent in for repairs confirmed that
the IF was cooked, and the factory had no idea how it could have happened,
even with a fairly hot transmitter on the IF frequency was going in the area.
(The word "he" in this last paragraph refers to the cop. Please pardon the
ambiguity.)

There was a collective shrugging of shoulders, and nobody really knows why it
happened. It had a nice side effect, though. If you listen to the right local
repeaters, you can often hear that cop signing with his new call.

	"You should never threaten a man you are not going to fight,
   and if war is your intention, it is best to get on with it." -- F.J. Lovret
      Duke McMullan n5gax nss13429r phon505-255-4642 ee5391aa@hydra.unm.edu

brian@ucsd.Edu (Brian Kantor) (12/30/89)

A reasonably large magnetron feeding a reasonably large antenna on the
front of your car, wired up to a bank of capacitors charged by an
inverter from the car battery, might be able to emit a pulse of 10 GHz
or 24 GHz of sufficient magnitude to blow the mixer diode in the typical
cop radar to glory-be.  You'd clearly want to have it trigger off the
radar detector mounted next to it, but shielded from it in some way.

I've often contemplated building something like this, but since the
local flic have only got 7 radar units in a town of over 2 million
inhabitants, why bother?

A 24GHz autolaunch homing missile with HEAT warhead would be much more
effective.  Just mount them in disguised trash containers and deploy
them on busy streets....  Come to think of it, that's overkill.  Just an
Estes rocket with smoke cannister is sufficient.  After all, you only
want to scare them, not put craters in the sidewalk.

Yes, I'm kidding.
		- Brian

peg@psuecl.bitnet (PAUL E. GANTER) (12/30/89)

In article <10657@ucsd.Edu>, brian@ucsd.Edu (Brian Kantor) writes:

> A 24GHz autolaunch homing missile with HEAT warhead would be much more
> effective.  Just mount them in disguised trash containers and deploy
> them on busy streets....  Come to think of it, that's overkill.  Just an
> Estes rocket with smoke cannister is sufficient.  After all, you only
> want to scare them, not put craters in the sidewalk.
>
> Yes, I'm kidding.
>               - Brian

Yee-hah!  This is the kind of response I was looking for!  Good old
American ingenuity comes through.  Seriously though, I have heard tales
of HAM's jamming (not destroying) radar guns, and people putting
magnetrons on their cars (effective birth control?).  Anyway, what
I wanted to know was how (in theory) the thing might work.

Thanks for the entertainment!

Paul

sampson@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Steve Sampson) (12/30/89)

In article <74896@psuecl.bitnet>, peg@psuecl.bitnet (PAUL E. GANTER) writes:
> Seriously though, I have heard tales
> of HAM's jamming (not destroying) radar guns, and people putting
> magnetrons on their cars (effective birth control?).  Anyway, what
> I wanted to know was how (in theory) the thing might work.

I haven't seen any magnetron jammers yet.  Hams don't jam anything other
than HF and at least one local repeater :-)  However, what your looking
for (inexpensively) is an AM jammer.  The CW radar is looking for a Doppler
Shift between its transmiter and receive target frequency.  It uses a simple
crystal diode radio.  With enough power you can mask all other targets by
modulating a carrier with the appropriate Doppler Shift for the microwave band
in question.  The crystal diode radio will then process only this shift.  This
works poorly against stationary radars and ineffective against moving radar.
AM jamming is the worst selection in any radar technical book.  A test by
Car and Driver into the effectiveness of this type of jamming, proved that they
didn't work.  By the way, the next issue of Radio-Electronics claims to have
a radar detector tester.  Oh no...  These will invariably end up on the
turnpike and freeways with the mental midgets turning them on at various times
to watch your radar detector lights.  Masters and Johnson had a name for this,
but I forget...

Steve, N5OWK

peg@psuecl.bitnet (PAUL E. GANTER) (12/31/89)

In article <10781@attctc.Dallas.TX.US>, sampson@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Steve Sampson) writes:

> I haven't seen any magnetron jammers yet.  Hams don't jam anything other
> than HF and at least one local repeater :-)  However, what your looking
> for (inexpensively) is an AM jammer.  The CW radar is looking for a Doppler

No, I am not looking for anything!  I am not interested in building a radar
jammer, I am interested in the theory/truth behind the device I described.

> Shift between its transmiter and receive target frequency.  It uses a simple
> crystal diode radio.  With enough power you can mask all other targets by

> didn't work.  By the way, the next issue of Radio-Electronics claims to have
> a radar detector tester.  Oh no...  These will invariably end up on the
> turnpike and freeways with the mental midgets turning them on at various times
> to watch your radar detector lights.  Masters and Johnson had a name for this,
> but I forget...

Maybe the cops will use them to scare you into going slower?  Cheaper than
actual radar guns, I'll bet.

In article <10781@attctc.Dallas.TX.US> sampson@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Steve Sampson) writes:
>... By the way, the next issue of Radio-Electronics claims to have
>a radar detector tester.  Oh no...  These will invariably end up on the
>turnpike and freeways with the mental midgets turning them on at various times
>to watch your radar detector lights...

With any luck the thing will have a sufficiently short range that this won't
work.  I think the FCC might object otherwise.  When radar detectors first
became popular, various police agencies were quite interested in putting
permanent microwave emitters at strategic locations, to minimize usefulness
of the detectors and generally slow down the traffic.  The FCC refused to
license such transmitters.
--
1972: Saturn V #15 flight-ready|     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
1989: birds nesting in engines | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

markz@ssc.UUCP (Mark Zenier) (01/01/90)

In article <1989Dec30.221555.29156@utzoo.uucp>, henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
> In article <10781@attctc.Dallas.TX.US> sampson@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Steve Sampson) writes:
> >... By the way, the next issue of Radio-Electronics claims to have
> >a radar detector tester.  Oh no...  These will invariably end up on the
> >turnpike and freeways with the mental midgets turning them on at various times
> >to watch your radar detector lights...
>
> With any luck the thing will have a sufficiently short range that this won't
> work.

I got my copy on friday.  A MRF901 oscillator at a claimed 1169.44 Mhz with
the 9th harmonic of 10.525 Ghz, Using a PC board tuned circuit.  (Yea sure)
The claimed range is 12 feet.  I'm surprised they didn't publish this in April.

> I think the FCC might object otherwise.

That never stopped Radio Electronics.  The fuss that got raised after their
article on a UHF channel transmitter for home video cameras was amusing.

markz@ssc.uucp

dclaar@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Doug Claar) (01/03/90)

>a radar detector tester.  Oh no...  These will invariably end up on the
>turnpike and freeways with the mental midgets turning them on at various times
>to watch your radar detector lights...

----------
Well, hm. Mental midgets, huh? I've always thought that it would be
great fun to do just that when you see some jerk that thinks he can do
100 mph just because he has a radar detector. I'm just glad to see that the
REAL mental giants spend their time figuring out how to foil someone trying
to actually enforce the law.  Wow, what a concept.  Yup, now how about
articles on how to foil those annoying ATM machines that have such an
unreasonable restriction on using someone else's account?  Now that
would be time well spent.

Doug "Who, me? Sarcastic? Not at all! Why do you ask?" Claar

kenmoore@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Kenneth L Moore) (01/04/90)

In article <74896@psuecl.bitnet> peg@psuecl.bitnet (PAUL E. GANTER) writes:
>In article <10657@ucsd.Edu>, brian@ucsd.Edu (Brian Kantor) writes:

>Anyway, what
>I wanted to know was how (in theory) the thing might work.
>
>Paul

While I was in the military we had a device that would amplify incoming
radar waves and beam them back to the receiver. Since the receivers are
set up to expect maybe 1 millionth of the transmitted power reflected
back, they are very sensitive and the amplified waves would blow out the
receiver.

Of course, this only worked on very primative radar receivers with no
overload protection.

I don't know if smokey has overload protection, but it should at least
jam the radar.

Of course the best bet is to drive under the speed limit.

--
I don't yell and I don't tell and I'm gratefull as hell. Benny Hill.

feg@clyde.ATT.COM (Forrest Gehrke,2C-119,7239,ATTBL) (01/05/90)

In article <10657@ucsd.Edu>, brian@ucsd.Edu (Brian Kantor) writes:
> A reasonably large magnetron feeding a reasonably large antenna on the
> front of your car, wired up to a bank of capacitors charged by an
> inverter from the car battery, might be able to emit a pulse of 10 GHz
> or 24 GHz of sufficient magnitude to blow the mixer diode in the typical
> cop radar to glory-be.  You'd clearly want to have it trigger off the
> radar detector mounted next to it, but shielded from it in some way.

There are a few problems with this: Discharging a bank of capacitors
results in only a single pulse of energy whose average may not be
particularly high, but whose duration may be too long for most
pulsed type maggies.  Secondly, that voltage has to quite high
(most pulsed type maggies are measured in kv). Thirdly, the
heater voltage for the cathode would have to be on continuously
and the life of these tubes is not particularly outstanding.
Most of the surplus maggies in the X band range are pulsed
type and it might be a better idea to actually arrange to
pulse them with a train of pulses.  The 2J42 would be a good
candidate and probably fairly cheap.  As for K band, even a
surplus maggie might be out of sight for cost.

Probably a lot cheaper to buy an Escort fuzzbuster (;-))

I have often thought of going the spoofing ECM route: get hold
of a small X band TWT and arrange to retransmit the radar
information back to the radar receiver, but having first
processed that information to make it look like your are
moving 25 mph.  That should make an interesting sight to
see the jaws drop as you glide by at 90 mph!

Forrest Gehrke clyde!feg

crisp@mips.COM (Richard Crisp) (01/05/90)

I do remember seeing an article in "Radio Electronics" circa 1985 to 1987 that
described a "false target generator" for police RADAR. This project was the
featured article in the issue and was shown on the cover. In essence it would
allow you to jam a RADAR gun with a signal that would trick the RADAR gun into
saying that you were going a speed of your choice (like 55mph). It was an interesting
project as I recall and only had one expensive component, the GUNN diode
(the microwave source).

--
Just the facts Ma'am

mikemc@mustang.ncr-fc.FtCollins.NCR.com (Mike McManus) (01/05/90)

In article <34143@mips.mips.COM> crisp@mips.COM (Richard Crisp) writes:

>   I do remember seeing an article in "Radio Electronics" circa 1985 to 1987 that
>   described a "false target generator" for police RADAR. This project was the
>   featured article in the issue and was shown on the cover. In essence it would
>   allow you to jam a RADAR gun with a signal that would trick the RADAR gun into
>   saying that you were going a speed of your choice (like 55mph). It was an
>   interesting project as I recall and only had one expensive component, the GUNN
>   diode (the microwave source).
>
>   --
>   Just the facts Ma'am

Seems to me that I recall hearing a story about a guy who built himself such a
beast (wish I could add details, but it was a 3rd or 4th-hand story).  One day
he gets pulled over in a school zone for speeding.  "Clocked you going 55 in
the school zone", says the cop.  Well, he started to protest violently (he
*KNEW* he was only doing 20!), but then shut up and took the ticket.  You see,
he realized that he was screwed: he had accidently flipped on his "jammer", set
to say he was doing 55...
--

Disclaimer: All spelling and/or grammer in this document are guaranteed to be
            correct; any exseptions is the is wurk uv intter-net deemuns.

Mike McManus (mikemc@ncr-fc.FtCollins.ncr.com)
NCR Microelectronics
2001 Danfield Ct.                   mikemc@ncr-fc@ncr-sd.sandiego.ncr.com, or
Ft. Collins,  Colorado              mikemc@ncr-fc@ccncsu.colostate.edu
(303) 223-5100   Ext. 360           (they're ugly, but they work!)

crisp@mips.COM (Richard Crisp) (01/05/90)

Along the lines of the discussion of RADAR jamming/blasting, I recall a funny
comment an M.E. friend of mine that worked on the F16 project at G.D. once
said. He told me how some of his buddies at G.D. were putting RAM on the front
of their cars to help elude RADAR traps. I asked "gee why RAMs?".
After a bit of discussion, we came to the conclusion that to an M.E. RAM
does not mean the same as it does to an E.E.

To an M.E. (working on the F16) RAM = Radar Absorbent Material
To an E.E. (particularily a digital I.C. designer) RAM = Random Access Memory.

I thought it was a bit humorous, I hope you folks do too.

--
Just the facts Ma'am

gd@milkfs.itstd.sri.com (Greg DesBrisay) (01/06/90)

>In article <10657@ucsd.Edu>, brian@ucsd.Edu (Brian Kantor) writes:
> A reasonably large magnetron feeding a reasonably large antenna on the
> front of your car, wired up to a bank of capacitors charged by an
> inverter from the car battery, might be able to emit a pulse of 10 GHz
> or 24 GHz of sufficient magnitude to blow the mixer diode in the typical
> cop radar to glory-be.  You'd clearly want to have it trigger off the
> radar detector mounted next to it, but shielded from it in some way.

Reliable rumor has it that some folks did just what you are
suggesting, but instead of the magnetron they used a spark plug!  The
spark plug was mounted in a tuned cavity which was in turn coupled to
a horn antenna.

Back in the early days of police radar, they filled the back end of an
automobile with capacitors (and in those days there was a lot of room
in the back of an automobile), charged up all those capacitors, and
then, as they drove by an unsuspecting "target", they discharged the
capacitors all at once through the spark gap.

They left more than a few radar operators scratching their heads,
wondering why their radar unit suddenly failed, but decided to curtail
their activity before someone associated the failure of the radar
units with the loud shotgun-like bang that happened whenever they
threw the switch on their spark gap!

Greg