[sci.electronics] Garage Door Opener light control accessory.

markbl@cbnewse.ATT.COM (mark.s.blumenthal) (01/05/90)

 >I just purchased one of those "Light Control" units from sears so I
 >could control my garage lights from the 3 button garage door transmitter.
 >Once I got it home, I discovered that it is for "Incandescent Lights ONLY"
 >up to 500 watts. I have florescent lights in my garage. I would still like
 >to use this thing, therefore, what are the recommendations from the net?

Assuming that the Sears lighting controls are X-10 compatible (Radio Shack Plug-
n-Power, BSR, X10 Powerhouse, etc.) as is the Stanley Lightmaker stuff (I'm
almost positive it is), you can purchase one of the following:

	Leviton "Decora Electronic Controls" devices:
		#6291 Wall Switch module,
		#6375 Fluorescent Fixture Relay Module
		#6227 Wall Receptacle Module

	X-10 Powerhouse:
		#SR227 Wall Receptacle
		#AM486 2-prong Appliance Module
		#AM466 3-prong Appliance Module

	Radio Shack:
		#61-2685 Wall Outlet "remote outlet"
		#61-2681 plug-in appliance module

	Stanley Lightmaker series:
		plug-in appliance module

	Sears Home Control devices:
		plug-in appliance module
		Wall Receptacle Module

If you have any questions on home automation, controlled lighting systems,
home remote control systems, whole-house audio/video systems, or voice-control
home automation and security, OR you would like information on monthly
publications or product sources on theses subjects, please call or write:

					Mark Blumenthal
(no electronic mail please)		30W 080 Glenhurst Court
					Warrenville, IL 60555
					Phone 708/393-3038
-Mark Blumenthal

marks@ssdevo.enet.dec.com (01/06/90)

In article <12417@cbnewse.ATT.COM>, markbl@cbnewse.ATT.COM (mark.s.blumenthal) writes...

>you can purchase one of the following:
>
>	Leviton "Decora Electronic Controls" devices:
>		#6291 Wall Switch module,
Does this switch module have the conventional switch actuator, or the
decorator switch actuator?  I'd like to find the decorator version.

	Randy Marks

(UUCP)	                {decvax,ucbvax,allegra}!decwrl!ssdevo.enet!marks
(INTERNET)              marks@ssdevo.enet.dec.com
(domain-based INTERNET) marks%ssdevo.enet@decwrl.dec.com
"Proper technique will get you through times of no strength better than
strength will get you through times of bad technique."
	-- Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers

dplatt@coherent.com (Dave Platt) (01/06/90)

In article <12417@cbnewse.ATT.COM> markbl@cbnewse.ATT.COM (mark.s.blumenthal) writes:
> Assuming that the Sears lighting controls are X-10 compatible (Radio Shack Plug-
> n-Power, BSR, X10 Powerhouse, etc.) as is the Stanley Lightmaker stuff (I'm
> almost positive it is), you can purchase one of the following:

> 	Radio Shack:
> 		#61-2685 Wall Outlet "remote outlet"

I don't know about the other ones mentioned... but if this is the same
Radio Shack wall outlet I purchased, it's a 500-watt dimmer unit which
is suitable ONLY for use with incandescent lights.  Motors and fluorescent
lights need not apply.

Using a plug-in appliance module is probably the way to go.  I've used
one of these to control a soil-heating coil and fluourescent-light
fixture for my seed-starting box.  It works fine.
--
Dave Platt                                             VOICE: (415) 493-8805
  UUCP: ...!{ames,apple,uunet}!coherent!dplatt   DOMAIN: dplatt@coherent.com

Dick@cup.portal.com (dick a wotiz) (01/07/90)

>> I just purchased one of those "Light Control" units from sears so I
>> could control my garage lights from the 3 button garage door transmitter.
>> Once I got it home, I discovered that it is for "Incandescent Lights ONLY"
>> up to 500 watts. I have florescent lights in my garage. I would still like
>> to use this thing, therefore, what are the recommendations from the net?

> Assuming that the Sears lighting controls are X-10 compatible

The Sears unit is definitely NOT X-10 compatible!  The light modules
receive the UHF signal directly from the 3-button transmitter, using
a short wire antenna hidden inside the lamp module.  It transmits
somewhere around the 220 MHz range.. that's kinda far away from the
X-10 system's 120 KHz!

A while back, I peeked inside one of the round screw-in light controller,
and it uses a relay to control the lamp.  Normally, relays will be
able to supply only about 1/3 to 1/2 the amount of power to an
inductive load than to an incandescent load.  So if it is rated for
500 watts, you would only be able to control about 100-200 watts
of fluorescent lighting.

But the worst that might happen is the relay contacts will eventually
weld themselves together, and the light won't turn off.
Just to be sure, try connecting up an incandescent lamp, and turn
it on and off.  You should hear a distinct click each time, from
the relay turning on and off.  If not, then they've changed the
design, and you won't be able to use it at all for fluorescent lights.

Dick Wotiz                         dick@portal.com
                           {sun|uunet}!portal!dick

royf@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Roy Frederick) (01/07/90)

This unit is NOT X-10 Compatible.  It is designed to receive the
UHF signal from the remote control used for the garage door opener.
It uses the latest Sears standard 19000 code transmitter and receiver.

Roy Frederick (royf@attctc.UUCP)
Dallas County Data Services  (214) 653-6340
504 Records Bldg.
Dallas, TX 75202