[sci.electronics] Can lasers be deflected electroMAGNETically?

dclaar@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Doug Claar) (12/29/89)

Here's another naive laser question (BTW, is there a good text that might
help answer some of these?):

Why can't I do the following:

1) Pull a vacuum on the living room
2) Open my (black and white) TV's picture tube
3) Wash out the phospher
4) Replace the electron gun with a laser (If powerful enough, skip 3...)
5) Project 'I Love Lucy' onto my dirty window

Or, if intensity modulation is a problem, why can't I pull a vacuum on my
den and follow steps 2-4 for my monochrome monitor, and scare the
neighbors by projecting Lotus 1-2-3 spreadsheets on the clouds.

OR IN SIMPLER TERMS (although I hope you enjoyed the bit of tongue in cheek
above): Why can't I deflect my laser electromagnetically, and not
electromechanically. (Oh, now you remember me--I was the one that asked how
to aim a laser, and most all of the responses where electromechanical, or
had various side effects (like diffusing the beam))

Any insight gratefully accepted.

Doug Claar
HP Computer Systems Division
UUCP: mcvax!decvax!hplabs!hpda!dclaar -or- ucbvax!hpda!dclaar
ARPA: dclaar%hpda@hplabs.HP.COM

dclaar@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Doug Claar) (12/30/89)

>Here's another naive laser question
>Why can't I deflect my laser electromagnetically, and not

Blush. Seems like it is naive all around. As someone pointed out,
light doesn't consist of charged particles. Guess I don't have to pull
a vacuum on the living room after all...my wife will be sooo happy!

Doug Claar
HP Computer Systems Division
UUCP: mcvax!decvax!hplabs!hpda!dclaar -or- ucbvax!hpda!dclaar
ARPA: dclaar%hpda@hplabs.HP.COM

dclaar@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Doug Claar) (12/30/89)

>Why did you want to "pull a vaccuum" on your living room or den?

Obviously, I didn' want the picture tube to implode, so I
figured--what the heck--just hook up the vacuum pump and suck
the air out of the whole thing! I discovered that this technique
doesn't work, though, after the cat exploded.

Obviously :-),

personal p.s. to Michael Bergman:
   My mailer bounced with bergman@m2c.org.
   And bergman@odin.m2c.org.
   And bergman@128.188.1.3.
   So, here's my reply.

In article <6220004@hpcupt1.HP.COM> dclaar@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Doug Claar) writes:
>... Why can't I deflect my laser electromagnetically, and not
>electromechanically...

Because light is essentially completely unaffected by electromagnetic fields
of any normal intensity.  CRTs are dealing with electrons, which are a very
different story.
--
1972: Saturn V #15 flight-ready|     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
1989: birds nesting in engines | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (David Lesher) (12/30/89)

In article <6220005@hpcupt1.HP.COM> dclaar@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Doug Claar) writes:

>>Here's another naive laser question
>>Why can't I deflect my laser electromagnetically, and not

It shouldn't be a problem to do this. All you need is a big
enough chunk of magnetic monopole. Don't have any here, but
maybe you should try Edmund's.

If that doesn't work well enough, Stephen Hawkins would likely
recommend a piece of black hole. I'd avoid this, however. May
tend to stain the carpet.

--
A host is a host & from coast to coast...wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu
no one will talk to a host that's close..............(305) 255-RTFM

kimf@tybalt.caltech.edu (Kim Flowers) (12/31/89)

Would it be possible to cause a laser beam to scan by deflecting it
off or through a piezoelectric (?) mirror or lense?  If so, by how much?

mAd_QuArK!
Kim Flowers
kimf@tybalt.caltech.edu

mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) (12/31/89)

If the recent news from Japan indicates that gravity itself can be modulated,
you could replace the deflection yolk with a couple of spinning gryoscopes.
Then you could sweep a laser around.  I'd wait until Hitachi makes one before
buying it.

In article <13100@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> kimf@tybalt.caltech.edu.UUCP (Kim Flowers) writes:
>Would it be possible to cause a laser beam to scan by deflecting it
>off or through a piezoelectric (?) mirror or lense?  If so, by how much?

Probably, although the good piezoelectric materials are mostly not
transparent.  There are a variety of ways of deflecting light using
interactions with matter, with the properties of the matter altered
by electric or magnetic fields, standing waves of ultrasound, etc.
Most are difficult to implement and give quite small deflections,
which is why things like laser printers still use spinning mirrors.
--
1972: Saturn V #15 flight-ready|     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
1989: birds nesting in engines | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

In article <13100@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> kimf@tybalt.caltech.edu.UUCP (Kim Flowers) writes:
>Would it be possible to cause a laser beam to scan by deflecting it
>off or through a piezoelectric (?) mirror or lense?  If so, by how much?

Yes.  It's been done a number of times, apparently.  I first saw
a description of it in Annals of Biomedical Engineering a couple
of years ago.  The researchers were using the laser to illuminate
a lattice of points on the surface of electroactive tissue (e.g.
heart muscle) that had been coated with an electroluminescent
fluid.  As the muscle contracts, the myoelectric dipole wavefront
propagates across the surface, activating the fluid, and when the
laser hits the fluid its fluorescence indicates the potential
at that point.  Using a piezoelectric element (I don't remember
whether they used it as a refractor or reflector) meant they
could scan something like 32 or 64 points on a sizeable piece
of tissue in some very short time, milliseconds or microseconds,
or something.

				--Blair
				  "Bibliographies?
				   We don' need no steenking
				   bibliographies..."

whit@milton.acs.washington.edu (John Whitmore) (01/02/90)

	There are some light-steering possibilities in propogation
of light through a medium (vacuum won't do).  The Kerr effect,
for one, changes the deflection of a particular polarization of
light as it goes through a prism (and with enough reflections through
the prism, it might just give some deflection angle that could be
useful).  The problem can also be solved by vibrating a mirror in
front of the laser, but it's not as safe and easy as a cathode ray
tube.  The Kerr effect is typically employed for Q-switching
lasers (i.e. detuning them) and uses a high voltage to get some
substantial effect; the inside of a TV has high voltages at the
scanning frequency anyway...

I am known for my brilliance,            John Whitmore
 by those who do not know me well.

cradens@uceng.UC.EDU (carl radens) (01/03/90)

In article <13100@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu>, kimf@tybalt.caltech.edu (Kim Flowers) writes:
> Would it be possible to cause a laser beam to scan by deflecting it
> off or through a piezoelectric (?) mirror or lense?  If so, by how much?
> Kim Flowers
> kimf@tybalt.caltech.edu

Acousto-optic devices operate by a photo-elastic interaction.
Many examples of practical bulk devices and optical guided wave
devices have been presented in the technical literature.
Bulk devicesy are commercially available in Lithium Niobate and some of
the III-V compound semiconductors.

See: _Electro-Optical and Acousto-Optic Scanning and Deflection_
by M. Gottlieb et al., Marcel Dekker, 1983.

Carl Radens, Cincinnati
cradens@uceng.uc.edu

jeffw@midas.WR.TEK.COM (Jeff Winslow) (01/03/90)

In article <25507@cup.portal.com> mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) writes:
>If the recent news from Japan indicates that gravity itself can be modulated,
>you could replace the deflection yolk with a couple of spinning gryoscopes.

Not unless you want egg on your face.

Sorry.

tom@cs.utah.edu (Tom Blockovich) (01/06/90)

In article <1989Dec31.224613.23057@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:

>Most are difficult to implement and give quite small deflections,
>which is why things like laser printers still use spinning mirrors.
>-                                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^-

A laser printer that I am familiar with is the Xerox 8700 (DEC LN01), and yes
it does use a spinning mirror (polygon).  But there is a video modulator that
deflects the laser beam.  The deflection is not alot, only about 1/4" at a
distance of less than a foot.  That could be considerable farther away though.
The video modulator is used to deflect the beam so that it will hit a stop,
in effect turning it off and on.

Tom Blockovich

at the U of U tom@cs.utah.edu   (801)581-5805
at Digital Tom Blockovich @ slo (801)565-3043

siegman@sierra.Stanford.EDU (Anthony E. Siegman) (01/07/90)

Take a typical low-cost He-Ne or semiconductor-diode laser -- average
power is a few milliwatts (and only red is conveniently available --
blue or green still hard to obtain).  Spread that average light power
out to fill a reasonable TV screen size.  It will be so faint as to be
invisible. To put enough light onto a screen to have a good viewable
picture requires on the order of _watts_ of each color (obviously the
total power needed goes up with screen size).  Present-day visible
lasers with average power outputs in the few watt range cost
kilo-dollars and require kilowatts of electrical power input (not to
mention cooling water, short lifetime, etc.)

Laser projection TV may come, but not for a few years, until major
improvements in visible lasers have occurred.

sorka@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Alan Waterman) (01/08/90)

Uh excuse me? What does projecting a laser on the screen of a CRT have
to do with laser TV? Have you considred the possibility of projecting
3 lasers(RGB) onto a white projection screen?

However, I think that super high res LCD screens will be TV technology
of the future.