[sci.electronics] Any X-10 home security/automation users?

psfales@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (Peter Fales) (01/09/90)

In article <RAM.90Jan8145350@jane.Jpl.Nasa.Gov>, ram@jane.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Bob Mortensen) writes:

> Finally, the reason I am posting this to the net is that I have a followup
> question.  Has anyone experienced any problems with getting the X-10 signals
> passed a sub-panel?  I just moved into a new house that has an addition over
> the garage.

I am a big X-10 fan, and would also be interested in hearing from other X-10
users, especially those with novel applications.  I have a computer
interface hooked up to my UNIX-PC which has an AT&T VoicePower card hooked
to the phone line.

I haven't done this myself, but the following is a quote from an article
I saved that was posted to the net in January 1988 by Syd Weinstein.  It
sounds like it may be related to your problem.

"I did have to solve one problem myself, but X-10 was very responsive
when I called them and provided the correct values.  This was when I needed
to provide and rf bridge across the 2 phases of our 220 lines.  My signals
were not strong enough to get from one leg of the power to the other via
the pole transformer.  I bridged the 220 line with a 1 uF cap (value
specified by X-10) and all is fine."

My own disclaimer:  WORKING WITH 110/220 VOLTS IS DANGEROUS.  DON'T ATTEMPT
THIS UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING.  Also, don't forget that 220 Volts
is the rms value - not the peak voltage.

I have added sci.electronics to the newgroups, since home automation
topics have been discussed there before.
--
Peter Fales			AT&T, Room 5B-420
N9IYJ            		2000 N. Naperville Rd.