[sci.electronics] need a digital movie

kumar@wucs1.wustl.edu (Arun Kumar) (01/06/90)

I would like to get hold of a digital movie that runs for about
30--60 seconds, with picture size 256*256 or 512*512, b&w or color.
If you have such a movie, or if you know someone who can help,
please do let me know. I need it for an academic, non-commercial
purpose.

In return for this favour I would be glad to keep the donor(s) informed
of my research into new methods for the compression of static and
moving pictures. These methods use a new tool for the time-frequency
analysis of non-stationary signals -- the Frazier-Jawerth transform
(FJT). The FJT is related to the Wavelet transform, and has
a number of applications in engineering, physics, and mathematics.

Arun Kumar					kumar@WUCS1.WUSTL.edu
Computer Science Dept				314-726-4464
Washington University
Campus Box 1045
One Brookings Drive
St. Louis, MO 63130
Arun Kumar (kumar@wucs1.wustl.edu)

peg@psuecl.bitnet (PAUL E. GANTER) (01/09/90)

In article <1990Jan5.163854.8232@cec1.wustl.edu>, kumar@wucs1.wustl.edu (Arun Kumar) writes:
> I would like to get hold of a digital movie that runs for about
> 30--60 seconds, with picture size 256*256 or 512*512, b&w or color.
> If you have such a movie, or if you know someone who can help,
> please do let me know. I need it for an academic, non-commercial
> purpose.

I suggest you contact a local Amiga user's group or dealer.  There are
many, many, many digital "movies" or animation sequences for the Amiga,
many of which are demonstrations for software companies and are freely
available (for free!).  Assuming you are not using an Amiga (which is
rather a shame...) you can transfer the movies to IBM, Mac, Atari disks
using inexpensive software for the Amiga-it will read and write these
disks with no problem.  You could also transfer the movies by modem,
although it would take a good little while!

If you have no luck finding a dealer or users in your area, let me know,
and I will try to find a local bulletin board for you.

Paul

murphy@pur-phy (William J. Murphy) (01/11/90)

Someone suggested that the person who is looking for a digital movie
consider using the numerous Amiga animation sequences which are available.
While this seems like a good idea, I don't think that it is.  The guy
who was looking for a digital movie, was testing a compression algorithm.
The animations that are available at places such as xanth.cs.odu.edu
in directory amiga/demos are already in a compressed format.  I am not
talking about zoo or LZH compression, that only is for archival.  The Amiga
animations often employ a delta encoding inthe IFF picture as well as storing
only the differences between frames of the animation.

Since I am an Amigan, I naturally thought of my favorite machine, but then
decided that the searcher would not find what he was looking for.  I could
provide a whole slew of 640x400 pictures of the Dr.Who logo moving around
the screen.  I just finished drawing it in DPaint II last night and was
thinking of a neato animation of it and the Tardis. 8^)

--
 Bill Murphy        murphy@newton.physics.purdue.edu