[sci.electronics] Mobile Radio

nobody@prles2.UUCP (nobody) (01/06/90)

 I'm trying to get some information about a "mobile radio". As I
suppose most people know the ownership of a mobile radio (or auto
telephone) is considered to be prestigious by many people. However
the cost of such sets, here in Europe anyway, is prohibitive for
most ordinary mortals on a monthly salary. Needless to say some
clever entrepreniurial type decided to market "mobile radios"
which serve no other function than as status symbol for the poor and
gullible :-)

  Recently I've heard that there are now sets on the market which
have a built in radio so that when you're "making a call" from your
automobile you actually hear something. I have been unable to locate
any of these sets in The Netherlands and was wondering if they exist
at all. If so then they must be available in the U.S. Could anybody
out there substantiate these rumours and if so relate the cost and
where they can be purchased.

                             Thanks in advance,

                                      Dermot Barry.
Dermot Barry   barry@apolloway.prl.philips.nl

jeffp@phred.UUCP (Jeff Parke) (01/11/90)

In article <836@prles2.UUCP> barry@apolloway.prl.philips.nl (Dermot Barry 42764) writes:

>suppose most people know the ownership of a mobile radio (or auto
>telephone) is considered to be prestigious by many people. However
>the cost of such sets, here in Europe anyway, is prohibitive for
>most ordinary mortals on a monthly salary. Needless to say some
>clever entrepreniurial type decided to market "mobile radios"
>which serve no other function than as status symbol for the poor and
>gullible :-)

We gave my brother in law a clever Xmas gift along these lines this
year called:

"Cellular Phonie"

--
...dataio!pilchuck!phred!jeffp {Jeff Parke}
Genie  : JEFFP  | DELPHI : JEFFPARKE |  CIS : 71511,1512

Nagle@cup.portal.com (John - Nagle) (01/13/90)

      Some bright manufacturer will package up a mobile CB to look
like a cellular phone.

					John Nagle