[sci.electronics] Radio as peripheral card in PC, Mac, etc

root@sbcs.sunysb.edu (Systems Staff) (01/02/90)

Has anyone investigated building a receiver as a plug in peripheral to
eg an IBM PC or Mac, etc?  I'm curious as to whether the major problem
would be noise radiated into the frontend, or if power supply carried
noise would be the problem.

					Rick Spanbauer, WB2CFV
					State U of NY/Stony Brook

wiz@xroads.UUCP (Mike Carter) (01/10/90)

In article <4349@sbcs.sunysb.edu> root@sbcs.sunysb.edu (Systems Staff) writes:
>Has anyone investigated building a receiver as a plug in peripheral to
>eg an IBM PC or Mac, etc?  I'm curious as to whether the major problem
>would be noise radiated into the frontend, or if power supply carried
>noise would be the problem.
>
>					Rick Spanbauer, WB2CFV
>					State U of NY/Stony Brook

Rick:

	And just what would you be needing a radio INSIDE (?) the
computer for anyway?
I've hooked P.C's up to scanners and written programs to switch banks
and load banks with pre-stored frequencies before..and it hasn't been
a problem...although the scanner has been equipped with the necessary inter-
facing.
Are you thinking of some form of sampling set-up using a series of D/A and
A/D converters?
The only time you'd get problems from a radio  receiver causing problems
is if the IF sections are not shielded..and I'll bet that would be
a very hard item to find these days.
Just make sure that you are supplying the radio receiver with power
from the computer's supply. Using an external supply is just asking
for trouble.

		-Mike		N7GYX

Nagle@cup.portal.com (John - Nagle) (01/13/90)

     Both an FM broadcast receiver and a television broadcast receiver
are available as boards for the Mac II.  I think it silly.  I did see
the "Micro TV" board in action at Computerware today.  It's supported
as a desk accessory, and you can watch TV with a 2x2 window devoted
to the TV screen.  Supposedly you can do this while doing other things,
but our attempt to watch TV while running Model Shop crashed the machine
immediately.

     Incidentally, the on-screen TV image is monochrome, even on color
displays.

					John Nagle