[sci.electronics] Ohmic Contacts to n-AlGaAs

berryh@udel.edu (John Berryhill) (01/12/90)

I'm having some trouble with contacts on n-AlGaAs (x=.1 or so).
I'm depositing about 5000 Angstroms of Au-Ge alloy (12% Ge) and
following that with 1000A of nickel.  Some of the time, it works
just fine, but too often the contacts tend to ball up when I'm
alloying them to the AlGaAs layer.  As I understand it, the purpose
of the Ni layer is to keep that from happening.  Is there something
else I should be doing in addition to the Ni to prevent it from
balling up?

--
							      John Berryhill
					   143 King William, Newark DE 19711

brooks@sierra.Stanford.EDU (Michael B. Brooks) (01/12/90)

I never expected to find this on the net John! I`m happy to reply,
since this is my thesis research project here at SU.  Try the Ni
first, in this recipe, as a starter.  If possible, give Rapid
Thermal Annealing a whirl:

E beam evaporate:
50-100A Ni
~750A Au/Ge Eutectic
250A Ni
1000A Au (for reduced resistivity, the overlayer of Au is essential)

RTA times 30-45 sec or so, 450C or less
furnace anneal, 450C, under 5 min., forming gas
Note that the amount of Au/Ge is variable, and can be evaporated as
separate layers of the same overall composition. One must have
a thin layer of Ni first to prevent the balling effects that you
noticed (it`s more complicated than this, a black art really)

See Gallium Arsenide, by MJ Howes and Dv.Morgan (John Wiley & Sons, 1985),
or Gallium Arsenide Processing Techniques by RE Williams, (Artech House,
1984) for starters.

Mike Brooks/Stanford Electronics Labs (solid state)/SU

In article <454@sierra.stanford.edu> brooks@sierra.UUCP (Michael B. Brooks) writes:

>E beam evaporate:
>50-100A Ni
>~750A Au/Ge Eutectic
>250A Ni
>1000A Au (for reduced resistivity, the overlayer of Au is essential)

Do you have a reference for this by any chance?

Also, have you tried the recipe by Shih and Blum, "Contact Resistances of
Au-Ge-Ni, Au-Zn and Al to II-V Compounds" from Solid State Electronics,
V15,n11-A, pp. 1177-1180?  Apparently they thermally evaporated an
alloy of the Au-Ge eutectic plus 5%wt. Ni in one shot.  Our E beam
machine is a little flakey and I'd like to stick with thermal evaporation
if I could.  Of course, one of the problems with thermal evaporation
of alloys is that the species will often come out of the boat separately.

--
							      John Berryhill
					   143 King William, Newark DE 19711

brooks@sierra.Stanford.EDU (Michael B. Brooks) (01/14/90)

(n-type GaAs) there is a body of literature based on M. Murakami`s
group at IBM (Yorktown Heigths).  The recipe is based on  J.Vac.Sci.Technol.
B 4(4), Jul/Aug 1986 pp.903-911, "Microstructure studies of AuNiGe Ohmic
contacts to n-type GaAs", by Murakami, Childs, Baker & Callegari. Thickness
of the Au-Ge layer varies somewhat (our work).  This is not specifically
for contacts to AlGaAs (it`s for GaAs) but it will probably work since
other workers use such recipes.  A similar recipe is from Rai & Ezis et.al.,
J.Appl.Phys. 63 (9), 1 May 1988, p.4723, and is for GaAs-AlGaAs MODFETs:

This is 50A Ni, 170A Ge, 330A Au, 150A Ni, and 2000A Au, which was put
down via e-beam , followed by "transient annealing" at 525C for a short
time.

What I have cited is  hardly representative of multitudes of contact
schemes available.  These are similar to what I use, and would be considered
"traditional" in some sense, generally known to work.  They all require
horrendous amounts of optimization based on your particular set of equipment.

If I was using a thermal system for metal evap I would be extremely careful
 to limit the heat transported to GaAs.  MEtallization reactions happen
at low temps (<250C) in short times,  and can mess things up if not carefully
controlled.  Beyond this thermal evap ought to be OK.

I haven`t tried the contact scheme you have mentioned John, though I`ll try to
check out the reference.

Mike Brooks/Stanford Electronics Labs (solid state)/SU