[sci.electronics] Need Theoretical Antenna Info

john@anasaz.UUCP (John Moore) (01/14/90)

I am interested in finding the following information, either in
tables of formulas or, even better, as computer programs. I am
on usenet, and not the internet, so cannot access internet
archives using ftp. What I would like to see filled in is the
following table:

Antenna Type    	Effective   Input	 Radiation
			Aperture    Impedance	 Resistance

Short Dipole	 	????	      ???	   ???
Long Dipole	 	????	      ???	   ???
Short g-plane qwave	????	      ???	   ???
Long g-plane qwave	????	      ???	   ???
Magnetic Dipole   	????	      ???	   ???
--
John Moore (NJ7E)           mcdphx!anasaz!john asuvax!anasaz!john
(602) 951-9326 (day or eve) long palladium, short petroleum

koning@koning.dec.com (Paul Koning) (01/16/90)

In article <1172@anasaz.UUCP>, john@anasaz.UUCP (John Moore) writes:

> I am interested in finding the following information, either in
> tables of formulas or, even better, as computer programs. I am
> on usenet, and not the internet, so cannot access internet
> archives using ftp. What I would like to see filled in is the
> following table:

You might look at J. Kraus, Antennas, second edition.  That book
is considered by many to be the ultimate reference in this area.

I was going to quote some answers from the book but find that I can't
since the antenna type designations are ambiguous.  Does "long dipole"
means 1/2 wave, or longer?  What is the difference between input
impedance and radiation resistance -- the reactance, the losses, or what?

Anyway, here's an attempt...

Antenna Type    	Effective   Input	 Radiation
			Aperture    Impedance	 Resistance

Short Dipole	 	0.119	      		2 Ohm for .1 wave
Long Dipole (1/2 wave) 	0.13		 	73 Ohm
>Short g-plane qwave	????	      ???	   ???
>Long g-plane qwave	????	      ???	   ???
>Magnetic Dipole   	????	      ???	   ???
  ^ is that a loop?  What size?

	paul, ni1d

pierson@cimnet.dec.com (01/16/90)

In article <1172@anasaz.UUCP>, john@anasaz.UUCP (John Moore) writes...
>I am interested in finding the following information, either in
>tables of formulas or, even better, as computer programs. I am
>on usenet, and not the internet, so cannot access internet
>archives using ftp. What I would like to see filled in is the
>following table:
>
>Antenna Type    	Effective   Input	 Radiation
>			Aperture    Impedance	 Resistance
>
>Short Dipole	 	????	      ???	   ???
>Long Dipole	 	????	      ???	   ???
>Short g-plane qwave	????	      ???	   ???
	Is the "qwave" the length of the driven element or the g plane?

>Long g-plane qwave	????	      ???	   ???
	same query.  My understanding is that making ground plane elements
	longer than 1/4wave (radius) has no effect (after the voltage peak
	at 1/4wave, the rest of the wire is "invisible...)

>Magnetic Dipole   	????	      ???	   ???

	All this, and more, is available in any good antenna engineering text
	or reference (Antenna Engineering Handbook, Jasik, comes to mind.
	Graphical representations are in the ARRL handbook, I forget how
	many of the formulae (formulas?) they include.)

	Numerical values for "short" and "long" will be needed.  Off hand,
	both the impedance and radiation resistance will get arbitrarily low
	for "short" (measured in wavelengths) antennas, rise to a maximum for
	half wave, then fall again, then rise, then...

	Feed point also needs to be picked (end feed a half wave, high z,
	center  feed, 75ohm).  (Which is just a different way of stating
	the last sentence in the prvious para...)

	Hopefully, somebody else can supply some program names or sources.

thanks
dave pierson			|The facts, as accurately as i can manage,
Digital Equipment Corporation	|The opinions, my own.
600 Nickerson Rd
Marlboro, Mass
01752				pierson@cimnet.enet.dec.com