[sci.electronics] Cable TV Descramblers - general questions

rms@PacBell.COM (Rob Santello) (01/17/90)

Sorry if this is an old topic...
I have a couple of general questions about the 'standard' cable box. After
removing the cover of mine to look inside, I noticed an interlock switch
which sure enough was tripped when opened. When re-assembled and powered
up, it displayed an error of 'E9' and wouldn't pass any signal to the TV.
I ended up calling the cable company and they sent some kind of reset
signal to the box. Now it receives only the standard stations such as
NBC, CBS, ABC and FOX. It still will not decode stations such as CNN,
MTV and ESPN. Also my premium channels HBO and ShowTime won't work. Once
before when the box had been disconnected for an extended period of time,
it required some time on its own to resume working again. It seemed as
though it was necessary for it to receive a decoding signal which was
periodically occuring on the cable. It would then automatically start
to function on its own. I was thinking this is the case now at this time
but after several hours - nothing. I guess I will have to call again.
So - is that interlock really some kind of anti-tampering switch? Is
there anyway to reset the box locally from the keypad? Are there really
periodic decoding signals inter-mixed with the signal? Does the cable
company have any way of receiving info from the box or is it xmit only?

Thanks for any help....
                                                -Rob-

kawaguch@nunki.usc.edu (Atsushi Kawaguchi) (01/18/90)

In article <1753@pbhyc.PacBell.COM> rms@PacBell.COM (Rob Santello) writes:
>Sorry if this is an old topic...
>I have a couple of general questions about the 'standard' cable box. After
>removing the cover of mine to look inside, I noticed an interlock switch
>which sure enough was tripped when opened.

>So - is that interlock really some kind of anti-tampering switch? Is

Long time ago, I used to work at Pioneer, making cable converter boxes
for a cable company called Qube.  Anyway, the box had a sort of self-
destruction mechanism.  First, the box can be opened only by removing one
screw through a small opening, which has an elliptical head, requiring special
tool to unscrew it.  Next, there is a mechanical switch inconspicuously
located, which flips if the cover is opened.  If the box is powered on
without resetting this switch, the fuse will be blown, making the box useless.
Of course, the serviceperson knows about this, but average user do not.
Since they had a device like that ten years ago, the modern cable boxes must
have far more sophisticated methods to detect tampering of box by the user.

U   U SSSS CCCC Atsushi Jun Kawaguchi
U   US    C     INTERNET: kawaguch@girtab.usc.edu
U   U SSS C
U   U    SC