[sci.electronics] Nuclear Radiation Detector

keith@ux.acs.umn.edu (Keith MaloneyHuss) (01/18/90)

I am looking for some information about a surplus device I came across.
It is some sort of radiation detector.  It is a metal tube 3 cm in diameter
and 10 cm long.  On one end is a phenolic? base with four pins in a rough
square pattern (two large pins and two smaller pins).
The other end is covered by a soft yellow plastic cap which removes easily
to reveal a transparent window beneath.  Inside the tube (beneath the window)
is a pin fixed to the center of the back of the tube.  The pin is about
5 cm long and terminates just short of the window.  At the end of the pin is
a shiny grey bead about 3 mm diameter.  The pin is about 1 mm dia.
It is manufactured by Searle Analytic Inc. and is model # 000-000108 047 A
The plastic cap has a metal washer in it that covers all but about 1 cm in
the middle.
Any ideas for a use for this gadget?
A trash can is probably the best home for it, but I thought I would ask.
Thanks.
--keith

howard@53iss6.Waterloo.NCR.COM (Howard Steel) (01/18/90)

In article <1028@ux.acs.umn.edu> keith@ux.acs.umn.edu (Keith MaloneyHuss)
writes:
>I am looking for some information about a surplus device I came across.
>It is some sort of radiation detector.

		<description deleted>

It sounds very much like a personal, pocket radiation dosimeter. The military
and others use one that looks like a tiny hockey puck (about the size of a
dollar coin, in either country, but much thicker) that can be hung on a chain
with your dog tags; or the one you describe that sounds like the pocket clip
version.
--
/ / / / / / / / / / :-(I Think, Therefore I Am, I Think :-) / / / / / / / / / /
/ Howard.Steel@Waterloo.NCR.COM 	    NCR CANADA LTD. - 580 Weber St. N /