[sci.electronics] Resistor types

roy@phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) (01/13/90)

	What are the significant differences between the various resistor
technologies for "typical" resistors, say 1/4, 1/2, or 1W in 1-ohm through 10
Megohm values?  Looking through the Newark or Mouser catalogs, you can find
carbon film, carbon composition, metal film, and metal oxide, not to mention
wierdo stuff like silocone coated, vitreous enamel, and wire wound.  Given
three 1k, 1/4W, 5% resistors, one carbon film, one carbon composition, and
one metal film, why would I choose one or the other for a particular
application?
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
{att,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy -or- roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu
"The connector is the network"

whit@milton.acs.washington.edu (John Whitmore) (01/13/90)

In article <1990Jan12.231715.28296@phri.nyu.edu> roy@phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) writes:

>	What are the significant differences between the various resistor
>technologies for "typical" resistors, say 1/4, 1/2, or 1W in 1-ohm through 10
>Megohm values?  Looking through the Newark or Mouser catalogs, you can find
>carbon film, carbon composition, metal film, and metal oxide, not to mention
>wierdo stuff like silocone coated, vitreous enamel, and wire wound.

	There are three kinds of materials, electrically speaking.
These are metals (high conductivity, positive thermal coeffecient of
resistance), semiconductors (selectable conductivity, negative thermal
coefficient of resistance), and insulators.
     The best accurate resistors are (still) wirewound, because the
alloys can be controlled more accurately in a small melt than in an
evaporated film; a pure metal has 0 resistance at 0 temperature
(absolute, of course) if one ignores crystalline imperfections, so alloys
are always used for critical applications.  For reliability, wirewound
resistors often come with fireproof coatings (glass or silicone), since
they will operate normally at high temperatures as long as the coating
doesn't burn off.  Wirewound resistors are expensive for high resistance
values, mainly used in the 0.1 ohm to 10,000 ohm range.
	Metal film resistors use less metal (because the film thickness
is expensive to increase), but achieve good accuracy AND can be trimmed
after manufacture to some final value.  Running a metal film resistor
too hot can generate a local hotspot to burn the small amount of metal,
so film resistors are not preferred if transient surges are present.
Film resistors are easily matched, so most metering resistors are
of this type.  Achieving low temperature coefficients is an art
that manufacturers do NOT discuss in detail, except to note that
they do better than their competition...
	Carbon is a semiconductor; at low temperatures (liquid nitrogen)
a carbon resistor makes a GREAT sensor; when the resistor hits the nitrogen,
it stops conducting.  Carbon composition is a mature technology,
capable of very reliable 5% or even 2% accuracy resistors, and surges
create heating of the bulk (no hot spots).  Carbon film resistors are
inexpensive, more accurate than composition, and apparently are
taking over the market; surges can burn them up, so a 1/4 watt composition
resistor can take 2 W for a millisecond, and a 1/4 watt film
resistor can NOT.  Not only is carbon temperature sensitive, it
is also pressure sensitive; no one uses it for low noise applications
if there is an alternative.  Composition values above 1Mohm are
often considered unreliable (value changes unpredictably with ageing),
while carbon film is OK up to circa 22Mohm.

I am known for my brilliance,                John Whitmore
 by those who do not know me well.

kenny@m.cs.uiuc.edu (01/15/90)

In article <1990Jan12.231715.28296@phri.nyu.edu> roy@phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) writes:

>	What are the significant differences between the various resistor
>technologies for "typical" resistors, say 1/4, 1/2, or 1W in 1-ohm through 10
>Megohm values?

whit@milton.acs.washington.edu (John Whitmore) gives a fine discussion
of the materials, but omits one point that I consider important.

Film type resistors generally have the resistive material deposited
on an insulating rod, and then cut in a helical pattern using either
screw machinery or a laser.  These, and wirewounds, both are quite
inductive.  If low inductance is essential, composition types are
preferable.

Kevin Kenny  KE9TV

forbes@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Jeff Forbes) (01/15/90)

In article <21000055@m.cs.uiuc.edu> kenny@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>Film type resistors generally have the resistive material deposited
>on an insulating rod, and then cut in a helical pattern using either
>screw machinery or a laser.  These, and wirewounds, both are quite
>inductive.  If low inductance is essential, composition types are
>preferable.

Non-inductive film resistors are available. I believe that a zig-zag pattern
is prepared on a plastic film then attached to a body for support and heat
sink. I believe that they are only available in larger power sizes, which
is where wire wound is mostly used.

		Jeff

myers@hpfcdj.HP.COM (Bob Myers) (01/17/90)

>>Film type resistors generally have the resistive material deposited
>>on an insulating rod, and then cut in a helical pattern using either
>>screw machinery or a laser.  These, and wirewounds, both are quite
>>inductive.  If low inductance is essential, composition types are
>>preferable.

>Non-inductive film resistors are available. I believe that a zig-zag pattern
>is prepared on a plastic film then attached to a body for support and heat
>sink. I believe that they are only available in larger power sizes, which
>is where wire wound is mostly used.

It's also possible to get a low-inductance wirewound; ask if your resistor
manufacturer produces any with a "bifilar" winding, which is simply a
wirewound with the wire turned around and wound back over itself (or next to
the original turns) in the opposite direction, such that the fields cancel
(equal and opposite currents).

Bob Myers  KC0EW   HP Graphics Tech. Div.|  Opinions expressed here are not
                   Ft. Collins, Colorado |  those of my employer or any other
myers%hpfcla@hplabs.hp.com               |  sentient life-form on this planet.

shaffer@net-sun1.dcrt.nih.gov (Micheal Alan Shaffer) (01/17/90)

<231715@<1990Jan12> <21000055@m.cs.uiuc.edu>

How about low noise?  Which are best in this regard?

				Mike
			shaffer@net-sun1.dcrt.nih.gov

davea@hpscdc.scd.hp.com (Dave Angelini) (01/18/90)

The best low noise resistor is made by Vishay. They are thick film or bulk
metal I think. Some of their 1/4 watt values  cost over fourty dollars in
quanity. Wonderful for small signal amplifiers!

brianr@phred.UUCP (Brian Reese) (01/19/90)

In article <1990Jan15.042813.15689@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> forbes@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Jeff Forbes) writes:
>Non-inductive film resistors are available. I believe that a zig-zag pattern
>is prepared on a plastic film then attached to a body for support and heat
>sink. I believe that they are only available in larger power sizes, which
>is where wire wound is mostly used.

Non-inductive (actually super low-inductive) wire wound resistors are also
available.  The wire is wrapped clockwise in one direction, then counter-
clockwise in the other direction in an effort to cancel the inductive effect.
(Dale calls this an Aryton-Perry winding)

Brian

--
Brian Reese                           uw-beaver!pilchuck!seahcx!phred!brianr
Physio Control Corp., Redmond, Wa.                         brianr@phred.UUCP

spt@peace.waikato.ac.nz (Simon Travaglia) (01/19/90)

In article <1370@milton.acs.washington.edu> whit@milton.acs.washington.edu (John Whitmore) writes:
>In article <1990Jan12.231715.28296@phri.nyu.edu> roy@phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) writes:
>>
>>	What are the significant differences between the various resistor
>>technologies for "typical" resistors, say 1/4, 1/2, or 1W in 1-ohm through 10
>>Megohm values?  Looking through the Newark or Mouser catalogs, you can find
>>carbon film, carbon composition, metal film, and metal oxide, not to mention
>>wierdo stuff like silocone coated, vitreous enamel, and wire wound.
>
>  Wirewound resistors are expensive for high resistance
>values, mainly used in the 0.1 ohm to 10,000 ohm range.

The only negative aspect of wirewounds is that they are rather bulky
(but then you should expect that if you have an application that requires
them)

>	Carbon is a semiconductor; at low temperatures (liquid nitrogen)
>a carbon resistor makes a GREAT sensor; when the resistor hits the nitrogen,

I used to have a mate who Loved carbon resistors because you can "tune" them
by filing them with a small file.  (He used to play with cheap&nasty music
circuits, and used a file to tune up the carbon resistors (3c .vs. about 20
for a trim pot)  I don't know how this would effect the "hot spot" problem
tho, it may create one.
--
SimonT, spt@grace.waikato.ac.nz, Univ of Waikato, Private Bag, Hamilton NZ.
This signature is completely biodegradable and useless, except for the tiny