[sci.electronics] Are checkout-counter lasers hazardous?

erics@bucsb.UUCP (Michael L. Ardai) (01/09/90)

(This is posted for a friend with read-only news access)

I was in the supermarket today, and while walking past the checkout
counter, I got zapped in the face with the laser.  Does anyone know
if this is unsafe?  The first thing that I learned about lasers was
never to shine one in someones eyes. (The second was that laser tubes
retain a charge after they are unplugged, but that is a different
story :-}  The tube looked like it was about a 5 mW unit. Any idea
what to do about this (other than wearing blue sunglasses)
/mike

Michael L. Ardai   Teradyne EDA   ...!sun!teraida!maven.decnet!ardai

--
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
o   Eric Schneider      o  This is only where I get my mail.                  o

siegman@sierra.Stanford.EDU (Anthony E. Siegman) (01/09/90)

I'd be very surprised if a supermarket laser scanner were hazardous.
The manufacturers must be very knowledgable about the safety issues --
including the knowledge that they have deep pockets, lasers have a
death ray image, and a supermarket checkout stand is a very public
place, all of which would make them very vulnerable to damage claims,
real or spurious.  I'd expect their concern for safety (including
every possible form of fail-safe design) to be very extreme.

In addition, a few milliwatt cw visible laser is really not that
hazardous.  It certainly can't burn skin or the outer surface of an
eye, and even if optimally focused within an eye on a continuous basis
my guess is it would still not do real physical damage (burning or
phase transformation) to the retina.  In addition, your natural blink
reflex will close the eyelid very rapidly.  And, the actual output
beam from a supermarket scanner unit may be more in the 10 to 100
microwatt range.

I've never heard of eye damage (or any other kind of damage) from a
milliwatt-level He-Ne laser.  It's the multi-watt cw ion lasers, or
the high energy pulsed lasers, that you really have to be careful
with.  In general, injuries from laser beams have been very, very few.
But, several people (including at least two students I know of) have
been electrocuted by laser power supplies in laboratory accidents.

king@dciem.dciem.dnd.ca (Stephen King) (01/09/90)

In article <446@sierra.stanford.edu> siegman@sierra.UUCP (Anthony E. Siegman) writes:
>I'd be very surprised if a supermarket laser scanner were hazardous.

They aren't. The output of the laser tube is VERY carefully controlled.
The scanning is done via a rotating mirror, so the beam never lingers on
one spot, but is always in motion. There are numerous safety features which
shut the laser off should emmission exceed a certain amount, or should the
scanning motor fail. Nevertheless, it's still not a good idea to look
directly into one when it is operating.

seibert@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (seibert) (01/09/90)

You ask if they're dangerous?  Ever wonder why the clerks
ring fresh fruits and vegetables by hand...?  ((I see melted
bananas, sprouts catching fire, boiled oranges...))  I can't
believe OSHA lets the clerks stand so close to the laser
units or that innocent customers, like yourself, can be
zapped accidentally!  You're lucky you weren't maimed.  _MS

((winking smiley with glasses))
--
Michael Seibert         seibert@xn.ll.mit.edu        ll-xn!seibert

mikemc@mustang.ncr-fc.FtCollins.NCR.com (Mike McManus) (01/10/90)

--

Disclaimer: All spelling and/or grammer in this document are guaranteed to be
            correct; any exseptions is the is wurk uv intter-net deemuns.

Mike McManus (mikemc@ncr-fc.FtCollins.ncr.com)
NCR Microelectronics
2001 Danfield Ct.                   mikemc@ncr-fc@ncr-sd.sandiego.ncr.com, or
Ft. Collins,  Colorado              mikemc@ncr-fc@ccncsu.colostate.edu
(303) 223-5100   Ext. 360           (they're ugly, but they work!)

In article <446@sierra.stanford.edu> siegman@sierra.Stanford.EDU (Anthony E. Siegman) writes:

>   In addition, a few milliwatt cw visible laser is really not that
>   hazardous.  It certainly can't burn skin or the outer surface of an
>   eye, and even if optimally focused within an eye on a continuous basis
>   my guess is it would still not do real physical damage (burning or
>   phase transformation) to the retina.  In addition, your natural blink
>   reflex will close the eyelid very rapidly.  And, the actual output
>   beam from a supermarket scanner unit may be more in the 10 to 100
>   microwatt range.

Also, the laser scanners found in check-out lanes have beams which are being
rapidly projected across the surface of the package (or in this case, your
face :-) by a series of spinning mirrors.  The amount of time that the laser is
focused on any one spot, most notably your eyes, is minimal.  The same thing is
true, incidently, with those hand-held laser "guns" that some retail stores
use.  A guy I used to work with tried shooting one in his eyes ones, "just to
see what it would do..."  He said that it was a sensation similar to having a
flash bulb go off in your eyes, but recovered after several minutes, and there
was no permanent damage (burns on the eye or retina).
--

jharkins@sagpd1.UUCP (Jim Harkins) (01/10/90)

In article <189@bucsb.UUCP> erics@bucsb.UUCP (Michael L. Ardai) writes:
>(This is posted for a friend with read-only news access)
>
>I was in the supermarket today, and while walking past the checkout
>counter, I got zapped in the face with the laser.  Does anyone know
>if this is unsafe?

I doubt they are directly unsafe, but indirectly I'm not sure.  Whats going
to happen when Sue Supermarket Checker gets used to her laser zapping her
and her customers in the eyes with no ill effects, then meets Larry the
laser wiz?  I think most people see lasers as a "badanddangerous thing"
and this is a good attitude for most people to have.  I know that when I
had my 5 mW he-ne laser most people got upset if I shined it on them,
and when I put my hand in the path of the beam their eyes got wide as
the proverbial saucers.

jim
"Only dead fish go with the flow"

whit@milton.acs.washington.edu (John Whitmore) (01/10/90)

	The lasers are hazardous, because the spectral purity
and focus of a laser allow eye damage (not irreversible eye damage)
at energies of one microwatt-second.  This energy, reflected off
a curved surface into a researcher's eye from a pulsed laser,
actually caused a temporary blind spot.
	The checkout counters are NOT hazardous, however, because
the typical laser scanner, rather than using a spinning mirror,
uses a rotating hologram for its scanning (this allows a very complex
scan pattern with a simple rotating hologram as the only moving part).
The hologram's accuracy is sufficient for scanning, and sloppy enough
that the deflected beam does NOT have the uniform wavefront that makes
laser light focusable to a pinpoint.  OSHA, I am sure, approves.

I am known for my brilliance,                 John Whitmore
 by those who do not know me well.

thomas@mvac23.UUCP (Thomas Lapp) (01/10/90)

I looked at the label on the one in the supermarket that I frequent.  I
was surprized to see it read something to the effect that one "should
not look into the window for a prolonged period of time", rather than
the usual warning about not looking at it at all.
                         - tom
--
internet     : mvac23!thomas@udel.edu  or  thomas%mvac23@udel.edu
uucp         : {ucbvax,mcvax,psuvax1,uunet}!udel!mvac23!thomas

--
The UUCP Mailer

doug@letni.UUCP (Doug Davis) (01/10/90)

In article <2826@dciem.dciem.dnd.ca> king@dretor.dciem.dnd.ca (Stephen King) writes:
>In article <446@sierra.stanford.edu> siegman@sierra.UUCP (Anthony E. Siegman) writes:
>>I'd be very surprised if a supermarket laser scanner were hazardous.
>
>They aren't. The output of the laser tube is VERY carefully controlled.
>The scanning is done via a rotating mirror, so the beam never lingers on
>one spot, but is always in motion. There are numerous safety features which
>shut the laser off should emmission exceed a certain amount, or should the
>scanning motor fail. Nevertheless, it's still not a good idea to look
>directly into one when it is operating.

Actually they aren't even as sophisticated as a spinning mirror,
I have several surplus NCR laser scanners, the way these are set up
the laser light goes into a beam splitter which splits the light into two
directions the both light beams strike separate mirrors that vibrate
at 60hz making up the x-y axis of the scanning beam. The separate
beams are recombined and sent upwards at several angles based on yet another
vibrating mirror.  The reflected light from the scanned barcode is then
directed back into a photo-multiplier producing the electrical pulses
used the figure out what just passed over the scanner.

The vibrating mirrors are great, hook one thru a transformer to each
channel of your stereo and you have an instant laser light show.  Of
course you could always tape mirrors to the cones of the speakers ;-)

Oh yeah, the lasers are .9mw output power (Class II - Non harmful.) BTW,
Class III lasers are >= 1mw and are classified as slightly harmful.  Read
the food and drug adminstration book 21CFR section 93.(somthing)
for all the regulations concerning lasers.

And if you want to BUY a laser I have several .9mw He-Ne lasers and
24vdc power supplies left from a project I was working on, email me for details.

doug
__
Doug Davis/1030 Pleasant Valley Lane/Arlington/Texas/76015/817-467-3740
{texsun, motown!sys1, uiucuxc!sys1 lawnet, attctc, texbell} letni!doug

jad@dayton.UUCP (J. Deters) (01/11/90)

> Article <189@bucsb.UUCP> From: erics@bucsb.UUCP (Michael L. Ardai)

>I was in the supermarket today, and while walking past the checkout
>counter, I got zapped in the face with the laser.  Does anyone know
>if this is unsafe?  The first thing that I learned about lasers was
>never to shine one in someones eyes. (The second was that laser tubes
>retain a charge after they are unplugged, but that is a different
>story :-}  The tube looked like it was about a 5 mW unit. Any idea
>what to do about this (other than wearing blue sunglasses)
>
>Michael L. Ardai   Teradyne EDA   ...!sun!teraida!maven.decnet!ardai

I've been working with various scanner manufacturers for a couple of
years now, and I've found that all the lasers used in all of the different
types of scanners used in a retail environment (hand-held, flat bed, etc.)
are "Class II".  This means that they are safe within normal eye reaction
time.  They have a 1.0 mW max output, and health-wise do not constitute a
threat when used as directed.  The directions (and various warning stickers)
all say "DO NOT STARE INTO BEAM."  So of course, I stare into the beams :-).
Normal blink reflex closes your eyelids after maybe 1/4 second.  By forcing
myself to consciously stare into the beam, my blink reflex takes over after
about 1/2 second.  The beams are painful, but do not cause any permanent
damage in limited amounts.

You may be interested in knowing about the safety circuits built into the
different scanners.  All "checkout" laser scanners use a "moving beam" --
a beam that is constantly deflected by a moving mirror of some sort.
This insures that you, the user, will not have the opportunity to stare
into a straight beam.  Consider the fan-out of the beam vs. the diameter
of the pupil.  Worst case is if you take the hand-held type and hold it
as close to your eye as possible.  The fan-out is already at 2", and your
pupil is probably about 1/8".  This means you will never see more than 6%
of the total beam, and that takes a lot of effort.  The typical grocery
store flatbed scanner has between 16 and 64 scan beams (although some grocery
store flatbeds operate at 5.0 mw, as you guessed).  If you are of average
height you probably stand 30" above the scanner face.  At that distance, the
fan-out of any one beam is approximately 30".  Assuming 16 scan beams, your
pupil received .02% of the output of a 5mw laser, or 1.3 microwatts.  Not
exactly enough to run off to OSHA about (but maybe enough for a lawyer?? :-)

There is also control circuitry that either shuts off the laser or closes
an aperture if the mirror motion is prevented or if the mirror motor fails.
I jammed a mirror against the side of the case to try to get a straight
beam out of a hand-held unit, and the laser would not stay on, so their
circuit must have been functioning properly.

I certainly wouldn't worry about occasional eye contact with the beams
used in any retail application.

DISCLAIMER:  This letter does *NOT* reflect any opinion whatsoever of
the Dayton-Hudson Department Store Co.  It's just stuff I've learned
from the various vendors I deal with, and the occasional shining we
get playing with them.  I'm not trying to defend our use of lasers, it's
just that I don't want to hear a panic like they are starting with VDTs.

-j
--
J. Deters
INTERNET:  jad@dayton.DHDSC.MN.ORG    .\ /.    "Smile -- Cthulu loathes you!"

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) (01/20/90)

Two people posted that scanners do not use spinning mirrors. One claimed
holograms, and the other claimed vibrating mirrors.

I believe it, but I used to work at a store that used spinning mirror
type scanners. The mirrors were highly polished faceted blocks of metal.

Sean
--
***  Sean Casey          sean@ms.uky.edu, sean@ukma.bitnet, ukma!sean
***  Copyright 1990 by Sean Casey. Only non-profit redistribution permitted.