[sci.electronics] IBM bus to SCSI adaptor//IOMEGA controller transplant

bergman@m2c.m2c.org (Michael Bergman) (01/04/90)

Has anyone fooled around with IOMEGA "Bernoulli Box" drives?  I am
wondering whether I can adapt a cheap 10 + 10 drive originally
intended for the IBM PC to work with my Mac.  There are at least two
approaches I can think of:  does the Bernoulli box use a ST506 or
similarly standard controller, that could be replaced by a SCSI/ST506
board?  Alternatively, is there any product out there that will let a
IBM bus device be plugged into a generic SCSI port?

And finally, will one of the generic Mac disk formatters (i.e.
"Formats and partitions any brand disk") out there work with the
Bernoulli box, assuming that one of these hardware approaches works,
or will I need a Mac Bernouilli Box driver, or will I need to write my
own driver?

--
--mike bergman
	      Massachusetts Microelectronics Center

bill@flash.UUCP (William Swan) (01/05/90)

In <BERGMAN.90Jan3153642@odin.m2c.m2c.org> bergman@m2c.m2c.org (Michael Bergman) writes:
>Has anyone fooled around with IOMEGA "Bernoulli Box" drives?  I am
>wondering whether I can adapt a cheap 10 + 10 drive originally
>intended for the IBM PC to work with my Mac. [...]

I have one of the Bernoulli Box (10+10) drives for the PC. It is on my
list of things to fool around with (perhaps a hard drive for my auld
CP/M box - I actually had one running on it many years ago, somebody
else marketed the design...). The controller board in this one has every
appearance of using a SCSI interface (although the unit I hooked up to
the CP/M box years ago had a SASI interface instead).

I unfortunately have no documentation on the interface command set -
the unit has a controller board for the PC (does not seem to work on an
AT, haven't tried it with a PC yet) and associated software. Still,
given a working configuration I don't see it being that difficult to
adapt to some other system - assuming the interface from that system is
not too difficult.

--
Bill Swan      bill@Summation.WA.COM          Send postal address for info:
	Innocent but in prison in Washington State for 13.5 years:

SLSW2@cc.usu.edu (Roger Ivie) (01/10/90)

In article <369@flash.UUCP>, bill@flash.UUCP (William Swan) writes:
> In <BERGMAN.90Jan3153642@odin.m2c.m2c.org> bergman@m2c.m2c.org (Michael Bergman) writes:
>>Has anyone fooled around with IOMEGA "Bernoulli Box" drives?  I am
>>wondering whether I can adapt a cheap 10 + 10 drive originally
>>intended for the IBM PC to work with my Mac. [...]

Some old sales literature that I have for the beasties indicates that they
are SASI rather than SCSI devices. I don't have the literature handy, so I
may be mistaken; nevertheless, I distinctly remember that they were SASI
devices. Given that SCSI is rumored to be a superset of SASI, they may
work. But I would be very surprised.

Roger Ivie

35 S 300 W
Logan, Ut.  84321
(801) 752-8633

bill@flash.UUCP (William Swan) (01/12/90)

In article <16391@cc.usu.edu> SLSW2@cc.usu.edu (Roger Ivie) writes:
}>>Has anyone fooled around with IOMEGA "Bernoulli Box" drives?  I am
}>>wondering whether I can adapt a cheap 10 + 10 drive originally
}>>intended for the IBM PC to work with my Mac. [...]
}Some old sales literature that I have for the beasties indicates that they
}are SASI rather than SCSI devices. [...]

This was true - the set I connected to my Alspa CP/M box long about '82
were SASI drives, but the PROMs in the set I have now are explicitly
labelled "SCSI". None of which is very helpful to Mr.Bergman who asked
the original question...

--
Bill Swan      bill@Summation.WA.COM          Send postal address for info:
	Innocent but in prison in Washington State for 13.5 years:
	Ms. Debbie Runyan: incarcerated 01/1989, scheduled release 07/2002.
	                   In now:  0 years, 11 months,  3 weeks,  1 day.

phil@ingr.com (Phil Johnson) (01/17/90)

The original IOmega boxes were SASI interfaces, but IOmega changed to SCSI
several years ago.

The SASI interface is indeed the predecessor of SCSI, but they are not
compatible.

--
Philip E. Johnson                    UUCP:  usenet!ingr!b3!sys_7a!phil
MY words,                           VOICE:  (205) 772-2497

john@frog.UUCP (John Woods) (01/20/90)

In article <8361@ingr.com>, phil@ingr.com (Phil Johnson) writes:
> The original IOmega boxes were SASI interfaces, but IOmega changed to SCSI
> several years ago.
>
> The SASI interface is indeed the predecessor of SCSI, but they are not
> compatible.

This depends on what kind of demands you make upon the controllers.
Here we use SCSI devices from SASI host adaptors (and vice versa) with
great success.  The SCSI bus is certainly a wild and improper superset of
SASI, but the ancestry shows through quite strongly.
--
John Woods, Charles River Data Systems, Framingham MA, (508) 626-1101
...!decvax!frog!john, john@frog.UUCP, ...!mit-eddie!jfw, jfw@eddie.mit.edu

Happiness is Planet Earth in your rear-view mirror.	- Sam Hurt