[sci.electronics] Bad News- Lasers replace Radar guns

chad@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (darknight) (01/17/90)

[If you can read this line, your Line-Eater is out of order]

	All this talk about Radar detectors and Radar Jamming, I just
thought you all might as well know...
	Last summer (1989), I read an article in Omni magazine
(either June, July, or August) that described a new toy that the
Police are testing out.  Seems they now are using Laser based guns to
measure car speeds.  These have the advantage that they can target
INDIVIDUAL cars up to 1000 ft. (and perhaps more), and even if someone
does invent a laser detector, ala. radar detectors, by the time you
detect the beam, you're PEGGED!  (Companies will probably make and
sell a bunch of them anyways.)  In any case, it looks like the future
of speeder detection is coming.
	The scary thing was that the guns are currently being tested
at just a select few police departments, and the article showed a
picture of a Police officer holding his new toy, and behind him in
BOLD letters was a sign saying "Palo Alto Police Department"!  I've
driven through Palo Alto MANY times for shopping, etc. and I live
nearby (except while I'm at College).  Figures that Silicon Valley
would be in the Vanguard of new Police Technology.  :-)  :-)

	In any case, I wouldn't be surprised if ALL radar detectors
are rendered obsolete, unless the public reacts with massive hysteria
towards the police having "Laser Guns".  Any of you Grocery Store
Scanner gurus care to respond?  :-)

INTERNET: chad@ucscb.ucsc.edu	      Chad 'The_Walrus' Netzer->AmigaManiac++

---===   If you can read this, then you're at the end of the posting   ===---

besler@egrunix.UUCP (Brent Besler) (01/18/90)

I posted on rec.autos and sci.electronics about the laser speed measuring device
back in November.  I got some info from a Popular Mechanics editor on it.  It
is telescopicly aimed.  To the best I can determine it uses a GaAs laser diode
around .9 microns in wavelength(just beyond the visible in the IR).  It is pretty
low power since it is a Class I laser device.  The detection apparatus is going to
have to be pretty sensitive on it, since reflection from a car won't be that high.
It works on computing succesive distances rather than a doppler effect.  It runs
about $3000, so it is about 3 times more than current radar units.  It can't
be used while moving currently since it can't determine the police cars speed
yet.  It should be possible to reduce the effective range by using daytime
headlight.  They have a high output(halogen particularly) around .9 microns.
The beam is very narrow about 0.2 degress, so a detector will be useless, before
it is too late.

							Brent H. Besler

mikemc@mustang.ncr-fc.FtCollins.NCR.com (Mike McManus) (01/18/90)

In article <349@egrunix.UUCP> besler@egrunix.UUCP (Brent Besler) writes:
>   (Discussing laser speed detectors...)
>   It can't be used while moving currently since it can't determine the police
>   cars speed yet.

Why is that?  How do the current radar models work with respect to telling the
speed of the officer's car?  Wouldn't it be similar?

--
Disclaimer: All spelling and/or grammer in this document are guaranteed to be
            correct; any exseptions is the is wurk uv intter-net deemuns.

Mike McManus (mikemc@ncr-fc.FtCollins.ncr.com)
NCR Microelectronics
2001 Danfield Ct.                   ncr-fc!mikemc@ncr-sd.sandiego.ncr.com, or
Ft. Collins,  Colorado              ncr-fc!mikemc@ccncsu.colostate.edu, or
(303) 223-5100   Ext. 360           uunet!ncrlnk!ncr-sd!ncr-fc!garage!mikemc

jjd@bbn.com (James J Dempsey) (01/18/90)

chad@ucscb.ucsc.edu (darknight) writes:
>>         In any case, I wouldn't be surprised if ALL radar detectors
>> are rendered obsolete, unless the public reacts with massive hysteria
>> towards the police having "Laser Guns".  Any of you Grocery Store
>> Scanner gurus care to respond?  :-)

Things look bad on the detector front with respect to laser speed
measuring devices.  However, since we're not talking about radio
waves, it would not be illegal to sell and operate a laser-device
jammer.  This might be more feasable than a detector.

		--Jim Dempsey--
		jjd@bbn.com

kimf@tybalt.caltech.edu (Kim Flowers) (01/18/90)

You could disguise a laser-gun fooler :) as one of those funky
brake lights you see flashing in strange patterns on yuppie cars
everywhere!

mAd_QuArK!

erc@khijol.UUCP (Edwin R. Carp) (01/18/90)

In article <349@egrunix.UUCP> besler@unix.secs.oakland.edu.UUCP (Brent Besler) writes:
>yet.  It should be possible to reduce the effective range by using daytime
>headlight.  They have a high output(halogen particularly) around .9 microns.
>The beam is very narrow about 0.2 degress, so a detector will be useless, before
>it is too late.

Interesting idea.  Put a couple of unfocused halogen bulbs on your car and
presto! -- instant laser jammer.

I HATE radar/laser (and I'm an ex-cop).
--
Ed Carp                 N7EKG/5 (28.3-28.5)     uunet!cs.utexas.edu!khijol!erc
Austin, Texas           (512) 832-5884          "Good tea.  Nice house." - Worf

berryh@udel.edu (John Berryhill) (01/18/90)

In article <51058@bbn.COM> jjd@BBN.COM () writes:
>  However, since we're not talking about radio
>waves, it would not be illegal to sell and operate a laser-device
>jammer.

Precisely.  I'd just love to see those FCC bastards try to regulate
optical frequencies.

--
							      John Berryhill
					   143 King William, Newark DE 19711

josephc@tybalt.caltech.edu (Joseph Chiu) (01/18/90)

chad@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (darknight) writes:

>	In any case, I wouldn't be surprised if ALL radar detectors
>are rendered obsolete, unless the public reacts with massive hysteria
>towards the police having "Laser Guns".  Any of you Grocery Store
>Scanner gurus care to respond?  :-)

What about telling the public that the laser beams, when properly used, can
cause severe damage to a driver's eye, or that it can burn paint off a car?
If anything, we can demand a health-hazzard testing to stall implementation.

Can you imagine a sign that reads: SPEED ENFORCED WITH LASER?

EAKIN@rsmas.miami.edu (01/18/90)

In article <349@egrunix.UUCP>, besler@egrunix.UUCP (Brent Besler) writes:

> It can't
> be used while moving currently since it can't determine the police cars speed
> yet.

I thought that the units were tied into the car spedometer to adjust for police
car speed.  Shouldn't that work?

Besides, with the narrow angle, more precise aim would indicate that stationary
use would be better anyway.

Now, since it's optical, it should be possible to use irregular matte finishes
and honeycomb materials to inhibit proper returns.  The Stealth mobile lives!

--
C. Mark Eakin			Internet: Eakin@RSMAS.miami.edu
Univ. of Miami, RSMAS-BLR

In article <MIKEMC.90Jan17132215@mustang.ncr-fc.FtCollins.NCR.com> mikemc@mustang.ncr-fc.FtCollins.NCR.com (Mike McManus) writes:
>>   It can't be used while moving currently since it can't determine the police
>>   cars speed yet.
>
>Why is that?  How do the current radar models work with respect to telling the
>speed of the officer's car?  Wouldn't it be similar?

No; remember the laser system is doing distance measurement, while the
radars are using Doppler velocity measurement.  The radars simply measure
the velocity of the background, which is always "in view" anyway because
their beams are so broad.  That doesn't work for the lasers.
--
1972: Saturn V #15 flight-ready|     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
1990: birds nesting in engines | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

In article <8561@nigel.udel.EDU> berryh@udel.edu (John Berryhill) writes:
>>  However, since we're not talking about radio
>>waves, it would not be illegal to sell and operate a laser-device
>>jammer.
>
>Precisely.  I'd just love to see those FCC bastards try to regulate
>optical frequencies.

Sigh, for the Nth time:  interfering with the police is illegal, highly so,
no matter how you do it.  If it becomes a problem, the police will most
assuredly get themselves set up to detect such jamming and will come down
hard on people who do it.  The FCC is irrelevant.

(My sympathies lie with the speeders, actually, but claiming that you have
a God-given right to jam the police is folly approximating Canute ordering
the tide not to come in.  Remember, your opponents in this particular game
are also the folks who make the rules, and change them when they see fit.)
--

besler@egrunix.UUCP (Brent Besler) (01/19/90)

>I thought that the units were tied into the car spedometer to adjust for police
>car speed.  Shouldn't that work?

In general the speedometer in the cop car may be off a couple of MPH, and that
can make big a big difference with regard to fines, etc.  Radar gun aren't
wired into a cops speedometer.  They use a separate radar beam to determine
the speed of the cop car relative to the ground.

>Besides, with the narrow angle, more precise aim would indicate that stationary
>use would be better anyway.

Yes, but it would be conveient to have moving use capability.

>Now, since it's optical, it should be possible to use irregular matte finishes
>and honeycomb materials to inhibit proper returns.  The Stealth mobile lives!

A black car is going to reflect the leat light in the near IR.  I am sure
the IR detector in the device has to be very sensitive, as I am sure the
desigeners too it into account.  The only device being made yet is made by
International Measurement and Control.  The probably have a patent since there
is a very large potential market for this device.

							    Brent H. Besler

besler@egrunix.UUCP (Brent Besler) (01/19/90)

The IM&C device is a Class I laser device, which means its use is basically un
regulated.  The power output is pretty low.  It uses rapid, very short duration
pulses.  Similar devices have been used for years to measure distances in the
military and construction. This device just computes speed from succesive
distance measurements.  Wether or not halogen bulb output will jam it is
anybodies guess.  I am sure it has a filter to admit only the .9 micron
wavelength.  The sophistication of the detction electronics would play a part
in the effectuveness of jamming.  Good electronics will be able to filter out
background radiation of the .9 nm frequency.  The advantage of the jamming
light is that its intensity varies as the square of the distance whereas the
received intesnity of the meauring laser will vary as the fourth power of
the distance.

						      Brent H. Besler

koontz@oregon.sgi.com (David Koontz) (01/19/90)

In article <8561@nigel.udel.EDU>, berryh@udel.edu (John Berryhill) writes:

The state of California, in a interesting contradiction to the use
of laser speed measuring devices within the state, passed a law banning
shining lasers, as a result of the use of lasers against drug sniffing
helicopters.

Has anyone got the text to see if it covers the use against cars?  I
believe it does.

chuck@mitlns.mit.edu (01/19/90)

-Message-Text-Follows-
In article <354@egrunix.UUCP>, besler@egrunix.UUCP (Brent Besler) writes...

>The IM&C device is a Class I laser device, which means its use is basically un
>regulated.  The power output is pretty low.  It uses rapid, very short duration
>pulses.  Similar devices have been used for years to measure distances in the
>military and construction. This device just computes speed from succesive
>distance measurements.  Wether or not halogen bulb output will jam it is
>anybodies guess.  I am sure it has a filter to admit only the .9 micron
>wavelength.  The sophistication of the detction electronics would play a part
>in the effectuveness of jamming.  Good electronics will be able to filter out
>background radiation of the .9 nm frequency.  The advantage of the jamming
>light is that its intensity varies as the square of the distance whereas the
>received intesnity of the meauring laser will vary as the fourth power of
>the distance.

  Not so! the laser beam is so small that ALL of it hits your car and is
reflected back. Thus unless the air is dirty (absorptive) it will fall
off as 1/r**2.
					Chuck Parsons
					CHUCK@MITLNS.MIT.EDU

wiz@xroads.UUCP (Mike Carter) (01/19/90)

In article <1061@khijol.UUCP>, erc@khijol.UUCP (Edwin R. Carp) writes:

> Interesting idea.  Put a couple of unfocused halogen bulbs on your car and
> presto! -- instant laser jammer.
>
> I HATE radar/laser (and I'm an ex-cop).
> --
> Ed Carp                 N7EKG/5 (28.3-28.5)     uunet!cs.utexas.edu!khijol!erc
I can see it now... 4 years down the road...during the day cars go by with
glittering fountains of bright light explosions and at night laser
beams zip back and forth. The cops, now in desparation from all of
the counter measures, counter-counter measures, and legal laser tape
resort back to stop-watch ticketing and highway shadowing to match
speed tactics. The public, enraged by this starts a massive legal campaigne
to BAN the SPeed limit entirely. This in turn succeeds, the polic departments
loose major amounts of funding and turn to busting jaywalkers.
     In the meantime, the freeway carnage has reached an all time high..
ambulance crews now spend their shifts spaced 2 miles apart on the freeways.
Radar detector door stops are in vogue and laser cannon jammers are hung
from rear view mirrors and gain the status much like that of those furry
dice dingle balls you see in low-riders.

And to think the cops believed the public wanted the speed limits to be
enforced anyway...

"There is a certain resolute madness in the art of avoiding defeat."

   -Harllan Ellison
    ailiamentary canal extraordinaire

sorka@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Alan Waterman) (01/19/90)

Sorry but you're wrong. Halogen lights are legal. They will most likely
jam the lasers. This will interefere with the police. Thus it is not
illegaL

sorka@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Alan Waterman) (01/19/90)

Are you sure the light intensity with vary 1/(distance^4)
That makes sense if the source emmits in a sphere, reflects and comes\
back as a sphere. But the laser shoots in a strait line so almost
all the light from the source reaches the destination. Am I wrong about
the laser beam?

whit@milton.acs.washington.edu (John Whitmore) (01/19/90)

	The possibility of filtering the reflected light so that only
a small part of the spectrum is actually measured makes jamming nearly
impossible for these babies; a laser (even a cheap diode laser) can
easily outshine the sun for watts/steradian/MHz_bandwidth.
On the medium tech side, though, a diffraction grating could
be built and blazed to take the laser beam and reflect it
45 degrees from its incoming direction, so the reflection
always misses the sensor in the gun.  Diffraction gratings are cheap
and not difficult to build for long wavelength (like infrared).
	So, you can get a large grating and employ decoupage
(basically making it part of the paint job).  It looks normal
in visible light, but the laser reflection misses the cop's gun.
	As for interfering with the police, that's a non-issue;
what American jury would support the claim that such a paint
job is interference?  The various governments, and their police, have
no particular rights to ease of observation of suspects.  It
is the suspects whose privacy rights are most clearly laid out in US law.
Canada, of course, has a different constitution.

I am known for my brilliance,         John Whitmore
 by those who do not know me well.

EAKIN@rsmas.miami.edu (01/19/90)

In article <353@egrunix.UUCP>, besler@egrunix.UUCP (Brent Besler) writes:

> In general the speedometer in the cop car may be off a couple of MPH, and that
> can make big a big difference with regard to fines, etc.  Radar gun aren't
> wired into a cops speedometer.  They use a separate radar beam to determine
> the speed of the cop car relative to the ground.

OK, so why not encorporate a small secondary radar, with a beam focused at the
ground very near the police vehicle (or even behind it) for a speed reference?
The repeated distance measures on the target vehicle should work just as well
when both vehicles are moving.

>>Now, since it's optical, it should be possible to use irregular matte finishes
>>and honeycomb materials to inhibit proper returns.  The Stealth mobile lives!
>
> A black car is going to reflect the leat light in the near IR.  I am sure
> the IR detector in the device has to be very sensitive, as I am sure the
> desigeners too it into account.

Who said anything about black?  What we need is IR/near IR absorbance, the
visible spectrum color is independent.  For reference, look at the colored boat
tops that are selectively transparent to UV-A tanning rays.
--
C. Mark Eakin			Internet: Eakin@RSMAS.miami.edu
Univ. of Miami, RSMAS-BLR

dnewton@carroll1.cc.edu (Dave Newton the Late) (01/19/90)

   We here at Carroll (well, actually, Dave sitting next to me) has solved
the laser speed detector problem:

   He suggests a black felt car.  Not only would it probably absorb the beam,
but it would feel good too.  Nice upholstery, inside and out.

   Large smiley.
--
David L. Newton                 |           uunet!marque!carroll1!dnewton
(414) 524-7343 (work)           |              dnewton@carroll1.cc.edu

In article <1105@carroll1.cc.edu> dnewton@carroll1.cc.edu (Dave Newton the Late) writes:
:   He suggests a black felt car.  Not only would it probably absorb the beam,
:but it would feel good too.  Nice upholstery, inside and out.

   New addendum:  A painting of Elvis on the side is optional equipment.
Unfotunately, this could lead to easy identification.

--

In article <7333@lindy.Stanford.EDU> sorka@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Alan Waterman) writes:
>Sorry but you're wrong. Halogen lights are legal. They will most likely
>jam the lasers. This will interefere with the police. Thus it is not
>illegaL

Halogen lights are legal.  I would not be so sure that they will jam the
lasers.  If I were designing such a laser system, the very least I'd do
would be a very narrow bandpass filter on the receiver, plus circuits to
ignore steady background and listen only to pulses.  There are a variety
of more sophisticated things that could be done -- see any book on radar
that talks about ECCM (Electronic Counter-CounterMeasures).  The most
your halogen lights would do is reduce the range slightly (by reducing
signal/noise ratio a bit), unless you do something elaborate and conspicuous
and less obviously legal like pulsing them.  Even that might not help, since
the laser pulses will be very short and sharp-edged and I don't think
halogen lights can imitate that very well.

The suggestion for a diffraction-grating paint job is much more clever.
It wouldn't be perfect, but it might cut the S/N ratio enough to make
things difficult.
--
1972: Saturn V #15 flight-ready|     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
1990: birds nesting in engines | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

besler@egrunix.UUCP (Brent Besler) (01/20/90)

I looked into the reflectance of near IR as much as I could.  I borrowed a book
on IR devices from a physics friend.  There were some charts on specular IR
reflectance.  Near IR reflectance from paint behaves very much like read light.
Red will reflect most of it and so will white paint.  Black reflects the least.
It is probably possible to build a jammer out of the same variety of IR laser,
but the problem is knowing the right pulsing rate. If the device is built well
jamming may be pretty hard and the cop will know who jamming him much more
than with radar since the device is aimed at a specific car.   A scanner
may be much more effective at spotting a laser speed trap.  A small auxiliary
radar could be mounted on a cop car to determine its speed.  It should be
pretty low power to avoid detection by radar detectors.

					      Brent H. Besler

In article <7334@lindy.Stanford.EDU> sorka@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Alan Waterman) writes:

>Are you sure the light intensity with vary 1/(distance^4)
>That makes sense if the source emmits in a sphere, reflects and comes\
>back as a sphere. But the laser shoots in a strait line so almost
>all the light from the source reaches the destination. Am I wrong about
>the laser beam?

I am a chemistry type, not an optics expert, but I think it goes as follows:
The intensity of any em radiation beam goes down as 1/(distance**2).  THe
laser beam on the speed measuring device is about 4 ft. wide at 1000 ft.
Only a small portion of the beam will be reflected back at the car.  The
relfection from the car behaves as if it were another light source(in a model
treatment anyway).

						    Brent H. Besler

ron@hpfcso.HP.COM (Ron Miller) (01/20/90)

Re: Laser jamming

In the endless cycle of measure and counter-measure, chances are that
once people start using halogen anti-laser lights, the police units
will encode their outputs in order to identify their returns.

War is hell.

Ron Miller

carroll@bcsaic.UUCP (Jeff Carroll) (01/20/90)

In article <8561@nigel.udel.EDU> berryh@udel.edu (John Berryhill) writes:
>Precisely.  I'd just love to see those FCC bastards try to regulate
>optical frequencies.

	Which federal agency *is* it that regulates lasers? Isn't it the
FDA?

sorka@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Alan Waterman) (01/20/90)

Then you are saying that the laser is actually just laser light and not a beam?
If it is a beam, then all of the light will reach one source and will disperse
very little until it reaches that source.

gene@cooper.cooper.EDU (Gene (the Spook) ) (01/20/90)

in article <MIKEMC.90Jan17132215@mustang.ncr-fc.FtCollins.NCR.com>, mikemc@mustang.ncr-fc.FtCollins.NCR.com (Mike McManus) says:

> In article <349@egrunix.UUCP> besler@egrunix.UUCP (Brent Besler) writes:
>>   (Discussing laser speed detectors...)
>>   It can't be used while moving currently since it can't determine the police
>>   cars speed yet.
>
> Why is that?  How do the current radar models work with respect to telling the
> speed of the officer's car?  Wouldn't it be similar?

For a semi-educated guess, how 'bout this:

The way mobile radar works is that you spit out a beam and collect two
inputs. The first is the signal reflected from stationary objects, such
as trees, signs, etc. If the squad car is moving at 55mph, the reflected
signal should be 55mph.

The second signal would be that of the alleged speeder. If, for example,
the target is going 70mph, the reflected signal should indicate 15mph.

By taking the difference, you can calculate the alleged speeder's speed.

With a laser ranging system, I guess that you have to "paint" the target
with a laser beam and read the interference pattern to determine the
target's speed. Both systems work because of the doppler effect, but
the laser can read only one interference pattern (so far).

Interestingly enough, it seems as though the laser-type system is
like that of laser-guided missiles, from what I've read.

Also, call Cincinnati Microwave (of Escort and Passport fame) and ask
for their "Why Radar Guns Are Inaccurate" (or something to that effect)
booklet. So next time Smokey gets missile-lock on you and you know you
weren't speeding, you'll have *some* defense, once you know how radar
guns work.

Incidentally, does anyone know the author or publisher of "The Ticket Book"
which was written by an ex-cop??? I'd like to get my hands on a copy, but
My local bookstores can't/won't help me on the basis of such skimpy info.
Thanx!

						Spookfully yours,

						Gene

Traffic court:	Where else in the United States are you guilty until
		proven innocent?

irwin@m.cs.uiuc.edu (01/20/90)

/* Written 12:15 am  Jan 18, 1990 by berryh@udel.edu in m.cs.uiuc.edu:sci.electronics */

						       ^

>>--
>>							      John Berryhill
>>					   143 King William, Newark DE 19711
/* End of text from m.cs.uiuc.edu:sci.electronics */

And why not??? After all, the letters FCC stands for Federal Communications
Commission, right? If you can communicate with light (which you can),
then they could regulate it, right??

Drats, out foxed again! :-)

irwin@m.cs.uiuc.edu
Al Irwin
Univ of Illinois
Dept of Comp Sci

irwin@m.cs.uiuc.edu (01/20/90)

/* Written  9:52 am  Jan 19, 1990 by dnewton@carroll1.cc.edu in m.cs.uiuc.edu:sci.electronics */

>   We here at Carroll (well, actually, Dave sitting next to me) has solved
>the laser speed detector problem:

>   He suggests a black felt car.  Not only would it probably absorb the beam,
>but it would feel good too.  Nice upholstery, inside and out.
			      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

--
>David L. Newton                 |           uunet!marque!carroll1!dnewton
>(414) 524-7343 (work)           |              dnewton@carroll1.cc.edu
>(414) 524-6809 (home)           |           100 NE Ave, Waukesha WI 53186
>I'm looking for Tom Brown, Chem. Eng. major at UofIL, Junior.  Tell him to call
/* End of text from m.cs.uiuc.edu:sci.electronics */

Well, think about this one! Some time back I saw an item on TV about
some ding-a-ling in California that sprayed his entire car with glue.
Then, he blasted it with grass seed, and let the glue set. Next, he
watered the seed and in a week, he had a green car, with inch long
hair everywhere.

They showed a shot of it on TV, it looked like he had upholstered
it with a green carpet. Quite original, I must say! Yup, no one else
has one like THAT one!

.....and I would like to see it when it came time to mow! Maybe he
gets out the sheep shears.

irwin@m.cs.uiuc.edu
Al Irwin
Univ of Illinois
Dept of Comp Sci

Ordania-DM@cup.portal.com (Charles K Hughes) (01/20/90)

Brent H. Besler writes:
>I posted on rec.autos and sci.electronics about the laser speed measuring devic
>back in November.  I got some info from a Popular Mechanics editor on it.  It
>is telescopicly aimed.  To the best I can determine it uses a GaAs laser diode
>around .9 microns in wavelength(just beyond the visible in the IR).  It is pret
>ty
>low power since it is a Class I laser device.  The detection apparatus is going
>have to be pretty sensitive on it, since reflection from a car won't be that hi
>gh.
>It works on computing succesive distances rather than a doppler effect.  It run
>about $3000, so it is about 3 times more than current radar units.  It can't
>be used while moving currently since it can't determine the police cars speed
>yet.  It should be possible to reduce the effective range by using daytime
>headlight.  They have a high output(halogen particularly) around .9 microns.
>The beam is very narrow about 0.2 degress, so a detector will be useless, befor
>it is too late.
>
>							Brent H. Besler

  Well, obviously there is a detector race going on... (speed detector versus
speed detector detector) and since it isn't likely to stop, the next step
will be dull/non-reflective paint and/or a coating that absorbs the
specific IR that the laser puts out. :)

Charles_K_Hughes
@cup.portal.com

kelly@uts.amdahl.com (Kelly Goen) (01/20/90)

In article <4264@rsmas.miami.edu> EAKIN@rsmas.miami.edu writes:
>In article <353@egrunix.UUCP>, besler@egrunix.UUCP (Brent Besler) writes:
>>
>> In general the speedometer in the cop car may be off a couple of MPH, and that
>> can make big a big difference with regard to fines, etc.  Radar gun aren't
>> wired into a cops speedometer.  They use a separate radar beam to determine
>> the speed of the cop car relative to the ground.
 well you were only half right the early moving RADARS used a magnet
and a hall effect sensor on one of the wheels for a speed pickup...
I know because I used (15 years ago) to install these on OK HPD vehicles
for a few short months.....the current tech I cant answer with certainty on
but I suspect it is still the same....GUNPLEXERS cost 100 times as much
as a hall effect sensor and the associated timing electronics...
     cheers
     kelly

peggy@pyr.gatech.EDU (Cris Simpson) (01/21/90)

I think the real solution to Laser Cops is to stir up a hysteria among
the Great American (and Canadian! Sorry, Henry!)  Public about Buck
Rogers zapping them with a Laser gun as they drive to the 7-11.  Think
of the great headlines in the NY Post and USA Today!

cris

Are we out of beer?  Be back in a minute!

urjlew@uncecs.edu (Rostyk Lewyckyj) (01/21/90)

How about coatings that change the wavelength of the reflected light?
Or a semireflective  half? wavelength thick coating, that would
cancell out the reflection by interference?
This would seem to be easier than refracting gratings

ferguson@maitai.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Dennis Ferguson) (01/22/90)

In article <19185@bcsaic.UUCP> carroll@bcsaic.UUCP (Jeff Carroll) writes:
>In article <8561@nigel.udel.EDU> berryh@udel.edu (John Berryhill) writes:
>>Precisely.  I'd just love to see those FCC bastards try to regulate
>>optical frequencies.
>
>	Which federal agency *is* it that regulates lasers? Isn't it the
>FDA?

I believe everyone can get into the regulation act.  If it's
communications, then the FCC is the primary regulator.  If it
affects airplanes then the FAA regulates it.  If it's poses a
workplace hazard then OSHA can regulate it.  If you ingest it
then the FDA can regulate it.  The EPA gets to regulate the the
byproduct wastes.   This sometimes poses some interesting regulatory
problems.   For example, radio towers over 300 ft tall come under the
jurisdiction of the FCC, FAA, EPA, and OSHA.  The FCC for potential
interference, the FAA as an air traffic hazard, the EPA since radio
towers are ugly and despoil the environment, and OSHA since you can
get hurt working on one.

A laser used for communications would come under the juridiction of
the FDA, FCC, FAA (if used near an airport) and possibly the FDA.  A
very low power laser used as traffic radar would probably come under
the jurisdiction of OSHA since the traffic cop could potentially blind
himself (zaps the rearview mirror or looks into the beam to see it it's
working).  Presumably, they wouldn't allow use of a laser powerful
enough to blind an oncoming motorist  (occasionally, you do get
flashblinded by the grocery store lasers).

What you need is a stealth car that makes use of tuned optical coatings
like the anti laser goggles worn by pilots.  If you know the wavelength,
you should be able to make an absorbtive coating.  Some enterprising
person will sell some doped version of polyglycoat (sp?) that prevents
rust, renews the finish of older cars, and absorbs those nasty police
lasers.

Dennis

phil@ingr.com (Phil Johnson) (01/29/90)

In article <1111@khijol.UUCP> erc@khijol.UUCP (Ed Carp, aka Mr. Ed the talking
 horse...) writes:
>In article <8482@ingr.com> phil@ingr.UUCP (Phil Johnson) writes:
>
>I like the idea of playing ECM with the police, because they've gotten away
>from what they're really supposed to be doing, and trying to play all these
>sophisticated techno-games with people.  Basic law enforcement is where it's
>at, not let's-see-how-many-radar-detectors-we-can-find.

Police use what ever is necessary to stay ahead of the criminal.

>No wonder most criminals are never caught -- the cops are too busy catching
>the easy ones.

As the local police chief told a friend of mind who asked why the chief was
out giving speeding tickets rather than catching the bad guys:

                  "You are one of the bad guys."

It is a question of degree of criminality, not of whether or not you are a
criminal.

--
Philip E. Johnson                    UUCP:  usenet!ingr!b3!sys_7a!phil
MY words,                           VOICE:  (205) 772-2497

greg@sj.ate.slb.com (Greg Wageman) (01/30/90)

Opinions expressed are the responsibility of the author.

In article <19185@bcsaic.UUCP> carroll@bcsaic.UUCP (Jeff Carroll) writes:

>	Which federal agency *is* it that regulates lasers? Isn't it the
>FDA?

The FDA would likely only be involved in certifying lasers for use in
medical applications.  I believe the Department of Health and Human
Services (DHHS) regulates lasers in consumer equipment.  There
probably are other agencies involved in other circumstances.  With our
wonderful Federal Government beauracracy, it isn't an either-or
proposition.

Free trade, indeed...

"We're lucky we don't get all the government we pay for."

Copyright 1990 Greg Wageman	DOMAIN: greg@sj.ate.slb.com
Schlumberger Technologies	UUCP:   {uunet,decwrl,amdahl}!sjsca4!greg
San Jose, CA 95110-1397		BIX: gwage  CIS: 74016,352  GEnie: G.WAGEMAN
 Permission is granted for reproduction provided this notice is maintained.