[sci.electronics] Fluorescent tube help

jmasters@pcocd2.intel.com (Justin Masters ~) (02/01/90)

I need some help on what could be the problem with my kitchen lights.

In the past, when I wake up to have my morning cereal feast (singles life
habit is hard to break), one of the four fluorescent tubes wouldn't light up.
I would usually reach up and bump the tube and it would come on.

This morning, my wife went into the kitchen and turned on the lights.  Or at
least she tried to.  None of the lights lit up.  There was a small glowing at
the ends of some of the tubes.  I tried tapping on them, and on the black box
in the lights, and nothing happened.  I gave up and went back to my newspaper
in the living room.  About 10 minutes later the lights came on by themselves
(I guess I forgot to turn the switch off).  Does anybody know what would cause
this type of problem and what the cure is, as well as the cost of repair?

Please email your answers to the address below, or just 'r' your answer to me.

Thanks a bunch.

 "Beatings will continue until morale     |     Justin Masters
   improves."                             |
                 - management             | jmasters@fmdgr1.intel.com

djwalden@isi.edu (David Walden) (02/01/90)

 jmasters@fmdgr1.intel.com (Justin Masters ~) writes:

> None of the [fluorescent] lights lit up.  There was a small glowing at
>the ends of some of the tubes.  I tried tapping on them, and on the black box
>in the lights, and nothing happened.  I gave up and went back to my newspaper
>in the living room.  About 10 minutes later the lights came on by themselves

	   This behavior is typical of aged fluorescent tubes.  They
	don't just stop like an incandescent bulb, they get hard to
	ignite.  It may be excacerbated by an old ballast coil, but
	try just replacing the tubes, first.

	   While you're at it, try a different type of pigment formulation.
	Try Cool White Deluxe.  It costs a little more than the ubiquitous
	Cool White, but it has a broader spectrum with more output at
	the red end, and people look better under it.  Or try Chroma 50
	by GE.  It is also broad spectrum (matching indirect skylight)
	and plants love it, too.

				Dave Walden
				djwalden@isi.edu