[sci.electronics] Police Radar Counter-counter measures

michael@fe2o3.UUCP (Michael Katzmann) (01/30/90)

This may be of interest: From the EE times Jan 22 1990.

Heterodyne sensors 'sniff' radar detectors

Washington -- Canada is beginning to use a heterodyne-sensing system to
sniff out the possession and operation of police radar detectors, which
are illegal in some provinces. The heterodyne-sensing system detects the
high-frequency emissions produced by the lion's share of commercial radar
detectors. A low-power microwave Gunn diode oscillator in the antenna
cavity produces just enough microwave radiation (at 10.25 GHz and/or 26 GHz)
to be sensed by a police cruiser.

email to
UUCP:       uunet!mimsy!{arinc,fe203}!vk2bea!michael
						  _ _ _                    _
 	Amateur	|    VK2BEA	(Australia)      ' ) ) )      /           //
 	Radio	|    G4NYV	(United Kingdom)  / / / o _. /_  __.  _  //
	Stations|    NV3Z	(United States)	 / ' (_<_(__/ /_(_/|_</_</_

Michael Katzmann
Broadcast Sports Technology.
2135 Espey Ct. #4
Crofton Md. 21114 USA

Ph: +1 301 721 5151

knudsen@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (michael.j.knudsen) (02/01/90)

In article <293@fe2o3.UUCP>, michael@fe2o3.UUCP (Michael Katzmann) writes:
> This may be of interest: From the EE times Jan 22 1990.
> Heterodyne sensors 'sniff' radar detectors
[short article deleted]

My brothers, who have experience with Virginia, a state that
outlaws radar detectors, assure me that cops don't really
need hardware or special training to catch people using
radar detectors.  No VG1 gadgets required.

All they have to do is hit a fast-moving car with the beam and
see what happens next.  If the car slows down suddenly,
or the brake lights come on, it's a good guess that a detector is in
use, so the cop pulls you over and searches the car.
You could try telling him that a raccoon just happened to run out
on the road at that time...

The only defense is to suppress your urge to stomp on the
brake in response to a sudden strong signal.  That is, let 'em
get you this time.  If you pick up a distant weak signal you
know in time to slow down gradually.

In fact my wife got hassled in Ohio for going 70 in a 65 zone,
because the cops saw her speed drop to under 60 when they keyed
the gun.  They probably wouldn't have bothered anyone for 5 over,
but he gave her a warning, and said "you got a fuzzbuster, right?"
upon first approaching the stopped car.

This really belongs in wreck.auto, but it's worth noting
the irony -- if you "really use" your radar detector,
the fuzz will know you have one!
--
Mike Knudsen  knudsen@ihlpl.att.com   (708)-713-5134
"Round and round the while() loop goes;