[sci.electronics] 68C11 Cross-Compiler

qac@occrsh.ATT.COM (Quentin_Conner) (01/31/90)

Does anybody know of a PD 8051 cross-assembler ?

Quentin Conner
--------------
qac@occrsh.att.com

georgep@vice.ICO.TEK.COM (George Pell) (02/01/90)

In article <971@occrsh.ATT.COM> qac@occrsh.ATT.COM (Quentin_Conner) writes:
+
+Does anybody know of a PD 8051 cross-assembler ?
+
+Quentin Conner
+--------------
+qac@occrsh.att.com

I am using TASM, a table driven cross assembler which I downloaded
from the SIMTEL archives.  It doesn't have any built in instruction
set, instead, it uses another file which describes the instructions
for the target u-processor.

It comes with tables for 8048, 6502, 8051, 8085, Z80, and 6805.
Instructions are given for building your own tables for other
u-processor types.

I also downloaded asm51, but found it too unconventional to be
useful.

geo

qac@occrsh.ATT.COM (Quentin_Conner) (02/02/90)

I have downloaded some assemblers and stuff from the Circuit Cellar BBS
for both the 80C51 ans 68HC11 micros.  Now I need to decide which one to
use.  I am leaning toward the Intel 8051 only because I have seen a few
applications which use them - I don't know anything about the 68HC11.

Would anybody care to compare the two microcontrollers?  I will be designing
an interface between RS-232 and another serial protocol in the near future
and would appreciate comments and suggestions...

Quentin Conner
--------------
qac@occrsh.att.com

sprouse@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Steven Sprouse) (02/03/90)

For hobbiest type applications I'd recommend the
Intel 8052AH-BASIC.  The microcontroller is the standard 8052 with
8K of ROM, except that this version's ROM contains a built in
BASIC interpreter!  It has the following goodies:

1 Bidirectional serial port
1 unidirectional serial port
3 onboard timers
external interrupt pins,
and can address up to 64K of memory. (32K RAM + 32K EPROM)

Using the 8052AH-BASIC is as simple as connecting it to minimum 2K SRAM,
and the necessary RS232 drivers and an XTAL. Turn it on, connect
it to a terminal, hit the space bar and you're in the BASIC interpreter.
From basic you have access to the timers with instructions such
as ONTIME time, GOSUB 1000
access to the external interrupts is done with ONEX1 2000
etc...
Basically you have a souped up PET.  You can also make calls
to assembly language routines.
	I've wired one up with 32K SRAM, 8K EEPROM, an A/D converter
and a D/A converter as well as several I/O registers. Loads of
fun for the whole family!
			-Steve

deraadt@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Theo Deraadt) (02/04/90)

In article <4649@vice.ICO.TEK.COM>, georgep@vice.ICO.TEK.COM (George Pell):
> In article <971@occrsh.ATT.COM> qac@occrsh.ATT.COM (Quentin_Conner):
> +Does anybody know of a PD 8051 cross-assembler ?
> I am using TASM, a table driven cross assembler which I downloaded
> from the SIMTEL archives.  It doesn't have any built in instruction
> set, instead, it uses another file which describes the instructions
> for the target u-processor.

A friend of mine just wrote one. It's really good.
It is going to comp.source.misc right now. If anyone would like a earlier,
mail me, and I will send you a copy.
 <tdr.

SunOS 4.0.3: /usr/include/vm/as.h,  Line 44	| Theo de Raadt
Is it a typo? Should the '_'  be an 's'?? :-)	| deraadt@enme.ucalgary.ca