[sci.electronics] phone problems

rp@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (Richard Pavelle) (02/01/90)

I am having an intermittent problem wherein the phone rings, I wait
for the 2nd or 3rd ring, pick it up and hear a disconnect. This
occurs on about half my calls on all phones on a particular incoming
line. The other two incoming lines do not have this problem.
The phone company claims they have fixed it on 6 occasions (without
coming to my home) during the last five weeks (when the problem
first began). I have finally arranged for an "repair person" to come
to my house in a few days but dealing with intermittent problems is
difficult. Has anyone had a similar problem and found a solution or
have some suggestions? Thanks in advance. --
Richard Pavelle         UUCP: ...ll-xn!rp
                        ARPANET: rp@XN.LL.MIT.EDU

marks@ssdevo.enet.dec.com (02/01/90)

In article <1679@xn.LL.MIT.EDU>, rp@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (Richard Pavelle) writes...

>I am having an intermittent problem wherein the phone rings, I wait
>for the 2nd or 3rd ring, pick it up and hear a disconnect. This
>occurs on about half my calls on all phones on a particular incoming
>line. The other two incoming lines do not have this problem.

Try switching your phones amongst the lines to your house and see if the
problem moves with the phone.  If the problem moves with the phone, you
can probably conclude the problem lies within the phone.  If it doesn't
move with the phone, the problem is with the line/jack.  If the phone
company can't fix the line, I would argue that they should give you a new
line/number and see if that fixes it.

Somebody more knowledgeable in phone systems can probably correct me if I'm
wrong, but I think the phone company does tests on the lines on a frequent
and repetitive basis.  I suspect this because one of my phones makes
noise (not ringing) every once in a while.  If I pick it up, I hear what sounds
like a disconnecting line.  Maybe the problem you are experiencing is related
to these tests.  Do you know whether the problem arises when somebody is
actually trying to call your house?

	Randy Marks

(UUCP)	                {decvax,ucbvax,allegra}!decwrl!ssdevo.enet!marks
(INTERNET)              marks@ssdevo.enet.dec.com
(domain-based INTERNET) marks%ssdevo.enet@decwrl.dec.com
"Proper technique will get you through times of no strength better than
strength will get you through times of bad technique."
	-- Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers

lbd@cbnews.ATT.COM (Linda B. Dunlap) (02/03/90)

In article <1679@xn.LL.MIT.EDU> rp@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (Richard Pavelle) writes:

>I am having an intermittent problem wherein the phone rings, I wait
>for the 2nd or 3rd ring, pick it up and hear a disconnect. This
>occurs on about half my calls on all phones on a particular incoming
>line. The other two incoming lines do not have this problem.

I'll bet this is an automatic dialer on a computer calling a wrong number.
You'll feel stupid trying this, but it did work for me ... whistle into
the receiver as soon as you pick it up.  I actually managed to get a
response doing this.

My only other suggestion to prove this would be to attach an auto-answer
modem and a terminal/PC and see if you get a login script of some sort.

If you do and don't get any hint of where it is coming from, call the
phone company and see if they'll put a trace on it and notify the
owner to get the right number.

wdarden@nrtc.nrtc.northrop.com (Bill Darden <wdarden>) (02/05/90)

In article <13697@cbnews.ATT.COM> lbd@cbnews.ATT.COM (Linda B.
Dunlap,45280,cb,3R109,6148605314) writes:  >In article
<1679@xn.LL.MIT.EDU> rp@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (Richard Pavelle) writes:  >>
>>I am having an intermittent problem wherein the phone rings, I wait
>>for the 2nd or 3rd ring, pick it up and hear a disconnect.  This
>>occurs on about half my calls on all phones on a particular
incoming >>line.  The other two incoming lines do not have this
problem.

Another possibility is the speed in which the central office(s)
processes disconnected calls.  It works something like this:

When someone call our number and decides to hangup before the
connection is answered, the orginating central office starts
"tearing" the call down, but not until our central office has rang
our line at least once.

Good luck,

BiLL.....