[sci.electronics] Arc generators and Faraday cages

rspangle@jarthur.claremont.edu (Randy Spangler) (02/06/90)

It seems that a lot of the problems (safety, FCC) with Jacob's Ladders could
be solved by putting them in a Faraday cage.  I mean, while you're putting
that plexiglass chimney around the thing, wrap some wire mesh around
the plexiglass and ground it.

This would make it even harder for someone to shock themselves with it.

It should also block most if not all of the RF interference the device
sends out.

Anyone out there have technical details about how dense the wire mesh would
have to be to reduce RF significantly?  Is is just as easy as wrapping
chicken wire around the plexiglass tube and connecting it to a water pipe?

|    Randy Spangler                    |    He who hesitates               |
|    rspangle@jarthur.claremont.edu    |                        is last    |

ee5391aa@hydra.unm.edu (Duke McMullan n5gax) (02/06/90)

In article <4153@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> rspangle@jarthur.claremont.edu
(Randy Spangler) writes:
>It seems that a lot of the problems (safety, FCC) with Jacob's Ladders could
>be solved by putting them in a Faraday cage.
	...balance deleted.

Randy, if I do that, where am I going to put my parrot, Faraday?

    "Don't reinvent the wheel -- steal the plans instead."   - Don Lancaster
      Duke McMullan n5gax nss13429r phon505-255-4642 ee5391aa@hydra.unm.edu