[sci.electronics] NTSC <-> PAL

kalra@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Devendra Kalra) (10/23/87)

I would appreciate any information that
people on the net might have about conversion of
video formats, inparticular NTSC to PAL and
viceversa.

Also info about multi-format VCRs and TVs will
be appreciated

Thanks
Deven

pingpong@milton.acs.washington.edu (jimmy) (02/01/90)

How difficult is it to build a NTSC <-> PAL device? (Any commercially
available ones?)
(I have a PAL VCR and a NTSC TV.)
Or would it be cheaper to buy a PAL TV?

Thanks plenty.

Jimmy.

kehres@lance.tis.llnl.gov (Tim Kehres) (02/01/90)

In article <1679@milton.acs.washington.edu> pingpong@milton.acs.washington.edu (jimmy) writes:
> How difficult is it to build a NTSC <-> PAL device? (Any commercially
> available ones?)
> (I have a PAL VCR and a NTSC TV.)
> Or would it be cheaper to buy a PAL TV?

I'm not sure about building the NTSC <-> PAL converter, but I would not
think it woule be trivial.  If someone knows of such a device, I would
also be interested, especially if it operates on 50/60 Hz.

When I was in Japan earlier in the year, I noticed many of the newer VCR's
that supported NTSC, PAL and SECAM.  While in Germany a few months back,
I saw many televisions that supported all three formats, but not many
VCR's.  I have not seen much of either in the United States.

In case you are interested, I had compiled a listing (from the '89 WRTH)
of many of the different broadcast formats:

Country Name	Country Code	Power	   Primary Language	TV System
============	============	======	   ================	=========
China  (PRC)         86         220/50     Putonghua,Amoy       D/PAL
China  (Taiwan)      886        110/60     Chinese (Mandarin)   M/NTSC
Hong Kong            852        200/50     Chinese,English      I/PAL
Indonesia            62         127/50     Indonesian           B/PAL
Japan                81         VAR/VAR    Japanese             M/NTSC
Korea (South)        82         100/60     Korean               M/NTSC
Malaysia             60         240/50     Bahasa Malaysia      B/PAL
Philippines          63         220/60     Philippine dialects  M/NTSC
Singapore            65         230/50     Malay,Chinese,Tamil  B/PAL
Sri Lanka            94         230/50     Sinhala,Tamil        B/PAL
Thailand             66         220/50     Thai                 BM/PAL
Austria              43         220/50     German               BG/PAL
Belgium              32         220/50     Dutch,French,German  BH/PAL
Czechoslovakia       42         ???/50     Czech, Slovak        DK/SECAM
Denmark              45         220/50     Danish               B/PAL
France               33         220/50     French               L/SECAM
Germany (West)       49         220/50     German               BG/PAL
Germany (East)       37         ???/??     German               BG/SECAM
Hungary              36         ???/50     Hungarian            DK/SECAM
Italy                39         VAR/50     Italian              BG/PAL
Luxembourg           352        110/50     Luxembourgian        BLG/PAL&SECAM
Netherlands          31         220/50     Dutch                BG/PAL
Spain                34         127/50     Spanish              BG/PAL
Switzerland          41         220/??     German,French        BG/PAL
United Kingdom       44         240/50     English              I/PAL
USSR                 7          127/50     Russian              DK/SECAM
Canada               1          115/60     English,French       M/NTSC
Mexico               52         110/60     Spanish              M/NTSC
United States	     1          110/60     English		M/NTSC

Television System Codes
-----------------------
System	#Lines	 Channel  Vision    Vision/	Vestigal   Vision     Sound
                 Width    Bandwidth Sound 	side-band  Modulation Modulation
	         MHz	  MHz       separation  MHz
				    Mhz
------  ------   -------  ------    -------     --------   ------     -----
  A     405        5       3         -3.5        0.75       Pos        AM
  B     625        7       5         +5.5        0.75       Neg        FM
  C     625        7       5         +5.5        0.75       Pos        AM
  D     625        8       6         +6.5        0.75       Neg        FM
  G     625        8       5         +5.5        0.75       Neg        FM
  H     625        8       5         +5.5        1.25       Neg        FM
  I     625        8       5.5       +6          1.25       Neg        FM
  K     625        8       6         +6.5        0.75       Neg        FM
  K'    625        8       6         +6.5        1.25       Neg        FM
  L     625        8       6         +6.5        1.25       Pos        AM
  M     525        6       4.2       +4.5        0.75       Neg        FM
  N     625        6       4.2       +4.5        0.75       Neg        FM

The sound carrier frequency for each channel can be determined by adding the
appropriate figure to the vision carrier frequency given above (5.5 MHz for
systems G, H; 6 MHz for system I and 6.5 MHz for systems K, L).  In West
Germany ch38 is reserved for aero-navigation.

Regards,

Tim Kehres

michael@fe2o3.UUCP (Michael Katzmann) (02/02/90)

In article <1679@milton.acs.washington.edu> pingpong@milton.acs.washington.edu (jimmy) writes:

   >How difficult is it to build a NTSC <-> PAL device? (Any commercially
   >available ones?)

In the days before cheap digital memory it was done by an "optical" converter
(i.e. a high linearity monitor and a camera! ).
In the mid 70's the BBC produced ACE and the IBA produced DICE (Digital Inter-
continental Conversion Equipment). Both in the UK.
Marconi sold DICE under licence to the IBA and McMichael/GEC sold ACE. The
TV station I used to work for bought a DICE in 1978 for $800,000. (When
an Australian dollar was worth $1.10 US.)

Cheap memory and LSI (DICE used mos shift registers) have made converters
cheaper. I think you could pick up a cheap one for about US$30,000.
Mind you the result looks cheap! The main difficulty in conversion is the
50 to 60Hz conversion. To do the temporal filtering properly you need at
least 4 fields of memory and good motion interpolation algorithms.

   >(I have a PAL VCR and a NTSC TV.)
   >Or would it be cheaper to buy a PAL TV?

I think it would be cheaper to get a pal TV!

If you were trying to look at an NTSC picture on a PAL set its a different
story!
All you would need to do is to adjust the scans, defeat the PAL 7.8Khz switch,
and tweek the colour matrix resistors. We did this on some sets and we even
put in a circuit that detected the PAL burst and switched the monitor
automatically.

email to
UUCP:       uunet!mimsy!{arinc,fe203}!vk2bea!michael
						  _ _ _                    _
 	Amateur	|    VK2BEA	(Australia)      ' ) ) )      /           //
 	Radio	|    G4NYV	(United Kingdom)  / / / o _. /_  __.  _  //
	Stations|    NV3Z	(United States)	 / ' (_<_(__/ /_(_/|_</_</_

Michael Katzmann
Broadcast Sports Technology.
2135 Espey Ct. #4
Crofton Md. 21114 USA

Ph: +1 301 721 5151

colin@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (colin.alan.warwick) (02/07/90)

I did go to a talk once (circa 1972) which had a demo of
DICE (Digital Image Converter Equipment).  It was full of ECL
chips and converted from PAL to NTSC (Never Twice Same Color :-) )
digitally, in real time (and back, if you wanted).  It was
built for the Olympics or something, was for professional
use by TV companies (ie megabucks).
I think it was built by GEC of Britain.