[sci.electronics] Single chip microcontrollers?

jn53747@etana.tut.fi (Nousiainen Juha Antti) (02/02/90)

Are there any single chip microcontrollers with both
D/A and A/D-converters available?

"The sum of the intelligence of the world is constant,
                                            The population is growing."
Juha Nousiainen jn53747@tut.fi

nurmi@etana.tut.fi (Nurmi Jari) (02/02/90)

From article <10979@etana.tut.fi>, by jn53747@etana.tut.fi (Nousiainen Juha Antti):

> Are there any single chip microcontrollers with both
> D/A and A/D-converters available?

I wonder if they produce Intel 2920 any more. It had 9-bit A/D and D/A,
and 25 bits (?) of accuracy in data path. No branches or subroutines.
The year was around 1980... maybe it is not available any more.

Jari Nurmi                        # Tampere University of Technology
                                  #     /Signal Processing Laboratory
nurmi@tut.fi                      # PO Box 527, SF-33101 Tampere, Finland
(nurmi@tut.UUCP   mcvax!tut!nurmi)# tel: +358 31 162 501  fax: 162 913

hpoppe@bierstadt.scd.ucar.edu (Herb Poppe) (02/03/90)

In article <10979@etana.tut.fi> jn53747@etana.tut.fi (Nousiainen Juha Antti) writes:

>Are there any single chip microcontrollers with both
>D/A and A/D-converters available?

How about microcontrollers with one or two D/As?

--
Herb Poppe      NCAR                         INTERNET: hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu
(303) 497-1296  P.O. Box 3000                   CSNET: hpoppe@ncar.CSNET

fcr@saturn.wustl.edu (Frank C. Robey X5569) (02/03/90)

>In article <10979@etana.tut.fi> jn53747@etana.tut.fi (Nousiainen Juha Antti) writes:
>>Are there any single chip microcontrollers with both
>>D/A and A/D-converters available?

I don't know of any with a D/A, but there are several of the Motorola
6805 series chips which have a 4 channel 8 bit A/D on it.  If need be,
you can get DAC-08's cheap, and use on of the microcontroller ports to
output to it. Either that, or use one of the outputs as a 1 bit D/A :-)

Hitachi also sells similar chips, but the A/D is so poorly specified on
the Hitachi part, that I wouldn't trust it to anything over about 5 bits.

Frank Robey
fcr@saturn.wustl.edu	fcr@wuee1.wustl.edu
Electronic Systems and Signals Research Laboratory
Washington University- St. Louis

whit@milton.acs.washington.edu (John Whitmore) (02/03/90)

	D/A and A/D converters on LSI chips are relatively costly
(because their transistors have different specifications from
logic transistors), but many microcontrollers have counters/timers
which perform the digital part of either A/D or D/A functions.
	One uses a voltage-to-frequency converter (a '555 or
even a simple CMOS Schmitt trigger can be connected with an op amp
for this function), and counts the pulses as they come in.  IBM
game ports work this way.  For D/A, either a charge pump (capacitor
and a diode and resistor) for low accuracy or a voltage-to-frequency
converter like a PLL chip (CD4046) for higher precision, can
be run off a counter.  One sets the counter divisor, clocking
the input at some constant rate, and the PLL output voltage tracks
the divided frequency.
	Analog usually means voltage, but current and frequency
are also analog quantities; microprocessors are naturally easy
to connect to frequency variables.

I am known for my brilliance,                 John Whitmore
 by those who do not know me well.

markz@ssc.UUCP (Mark Zenier) (02/04/90)

In article <10979@etana.tut.fi>, jn53747@etana.tut.fi (Nousiainen Juha Antti) writes:
> Are there any single chip microcontrollers with both
> D/A and A/D-converters available?

 The Intel 8096 and one of the Motorola 68HC05 family have Pulse Width
Modulated outputs.  Filter them slow enough ...

markz@ssc.uucp

qac@occrsh.ATT.COM (Quentin_Conner) (02/05/90)

jn53747@etana.tut.fi (Nousiainen Juha Antti) writes:

>Are there any single chip microcontrollers with both
>D/A and A/D-converters available?

The motorola MC68HC11A4 micro has an eight channel 8-bit A/D
converter - if this model is still available.

Quentin Conner
--------------
qac@occrsh.att.com

wiz@xroads.UUCP (Mike Carter) (02/06/90)

In article <10980@etana.tut.fi> nurmi@etana.tut.fi (Nurmi Jari) writes:
>From article <10979@etana.tut.fi>, by jn53747@etana.tut.fi (Nousiainen Juha Antti):
>I wonder if they produce Intel 2920 any more. It had 9-bit A/D and D/A,
>Jari Nurmi                        # Tampere University of Technology
>                                  #     /Signal Processing Laboratory
>nurmi@tut.fi                      # PO Box 527, SF-33101 Tampere, Finland
>(nurmi@tut.UUCP   mcvax!tut!nurmi)# tel: +358 31 162 501  fax: 162 913

Yes...they do..on special order and quantities of over 100.
We have 390 of them last count I made. It was a colossal error buying so
many of them for such a small breakdown curve...but wires do get crossed.
The article caught my eye particlarily about the 2920...simply because
I've laughed so much at the stockpile we have of them.

	-Mikey

sutton@rhea.trl.oz.au (Peter Sutton) (02/06/90)

From article <461@ssc.UUCP>, by markz@ssc.UUCP (Mark Zenier):
> In article <10979@etana.tut.fi>, jn53747@etana.tut.fi (Nousiainen Juha Antti) writes:
>> Are there any single chip microcontrollers with both
>> D/A and A/D-converters available?
>
>  The Intel 8096 and one of the Motorola 68HC05 family have Pulse Width
> Modulated outputs.  Filter them slow enough ...

I'm interested in a single chip microcontroller with 2 PWM outputs for motor
control, a serial port, ROM (preferably EPROM) and RAM (the more the better).

Do the above mentioned chips have all these features? Are there other chips?
I believe there is an NEC chip which has most of these features - can someone
tell me a part number?

Many thanks,

Peter Sutton
Peter Sutton						sutton@rhea.trl.oz.au
Telecom Research Labs,  770 Blackburn Rd,  Clayton,  Vic.,  3168,  AUSTRALIA.

hpoppe@bierstadt.scd.ucar.edu (Herb Poppe) (02/07/90)

In article <1004@trlluna.trl.oz> sutton@rhea.trl.oz.au (Peter Sutton) writes:

>I'm interested in a single chip microcontroller with 2 PWM outputs for motor
>control, a serial port, ROM (preferably EPROM) and RAM (the more the better).

Texas Instruments makes the TMS370 family (no, these do not emulate an
IBM 370 mainframe). As I recall, there are two branches to the family.
One is a 28 pin device, the other something like 68 pins. At least one
member in each branch has EEROM for program memory. The timers for
the 28 pin branch are not as fancy but I think you can do two PWM outputs.
The family sports both asynchronous and synchronous serial I/O; I don't
recall if the 28 pin branch has async I/O.

There is a branch of the National Semi COP800 family of microprocessors
that had members with 2 timers, async serial I/O and EEROM for both
program and data. COP8784CK and COP8788CK. These don't seem to have
made it into production. They appear in the 1988 Master Selection Guide
but not in the 1989 one. There is a ROM version of a device in this branch
that is in production. I think I heard that there is either an UV EPROM or
piggyback development device to support the ROM version.

--

jhuang@sci.ccny.cuny.edu (Jian Huang) (02/07/90)

In article <1004@trlluna.trl.oz> sutton@rhea.trl.oz.au (Peter Sutton) writes:

>I'm interested in a single chip microcontroller with 2 PWM outputs for motor
>control, a serial port, ROM (preferably EPROM) and RAM (the more the better).
>
>Do the above mentioned chips have all these features? Are there other chips?
>I believe there is an NEC chip which has most of these features - can someone
>tell me a part number?
>
>Many thanks,

I belive intel 8096 (new comer 80196) has these futures.
The NEC chip you are looking for is uPD78310 which is more
suitable for motor control with its special counters, context
switch and macro service functions.

--
JIAN HUANG                         System Software Engineer
jhuang@sci.ccny.cuny.edu           Klinger Scientific

john@anasaz.UUCP (John Moore) (02/07/90)

In article <1004@trlluna.trl.oz> sutton@rhea.trl.oz.au (Peter Sutton) writes:
]
]From article <461@ssc.UUCP>, by markz@ssc.UUCP (Mark Zenier):
]> In article <10979@etana.tut.fi>, jn53747@etana.tut.fi (Nousiainen Juha Antti) writes:
]>> Are there any single chip microcontrollers with both
]>> D/A and A/D-converters available?
]>
]>  The Intel 8096 and one of the Motorola 68HC05 family have Pulse Width
]> Modulated outputs.  Filter them slow enough ...
]>
]
]I'm interested in a single chip microcontroller with 2 PWM outputs for motor
]control, a serial port, ROM (preferably EPROM) and RAM (the more the better).
]
]Do the above mentioned chips have all these features? Are there other chips?
]I believe there is an NEC chip which has most of these features - can someone
]tell me a part number?
]
What you want is an Intel 8096 or 80C196 family device.
--
John Moore (NJ7E)           mcdphx!anasaz!john asuvax!anasaz!john
(602) 951-9326 (day or eve) long palladium, short petroleum

jpexg@wheaties.ai.mit.edu (John Purbrick) (02/08/90)

Re requirement for PWM output, ROM and RAM: I recently programmed an Intel
8031 to run 8 (you can count 'em!) PWM outputs. This chip has 128 bytes of
RAM (256 in the 8032), a serial port, and EPROM (in the 8751/8752).

Now I have to admit that the PWM outputs were only at 40Hz, with 100 possible
duty cycles (--> 4KHz interrupt frequency) but it was what that job (running
small motors) demanded.

						John Purbrick
						jpexg@ai.mit.edu

peggy@pyr.gatech.EDU (Cris Simpson) (02/09/90)

In article <1990Feb7.034737.8071@sci.ccny.cuny.edu> jhuang@sci.ccny.cuny.edu (Jian Huang) writes:
>>I'm interested in a single chip microcontroller with 2 PWM outputs for motor
>>control, a serial port, ROM (preferably EPROM) and RAM (the more the better).
>
>I belive intel 8096 (new comer 80196) has these futures.
>The NEC chip you are looking for is uPD78310 which is more
>suitable for motor control with its special counters, context
>switch and macro service functions.

	If you are looking for speed, look at the TI TMS320C14.  It's
a TMS32010 core w/ uC stuff tacked on.  Features:
		- Single cycle multiply  (160nS)
		- 6.4 MIPS
		- Six PWM outputs
		- Four 16 bit Timers
		- Barrel Shifter
		- Lots o' other Stuff

  	Best of all, TI claims they'll have the price down to $10 RSN.

        TI TMS320 hotline (713) 274-2320

cris

disclaimer: I just use the things.