[sci.electronics] Centronics to Amiga Parallel

peg@psuecl.bitnet (PAUL E. GANTER) (02/12/90)

In article <8037@chaph.usc.edu>, aliu@alcor.usc.edu (Terminal Entry) writes:
> Can someone help me with making a Centronics parallel to Standard parallel
> cable?
>
> (I have an Amiga with standard DB-25 (?) ports (serial and parallel), and
> a KXP-1124 printer that uses Centronic parallel, and want to get them
> to 'shake hands'...)

The Amiga parallel port IS fairly standard.  I have a Panasonic KX
connected to mine.  I have 12 pins connected (I had 12 cond wire on hand).
They are:
            STROBE, d0-d7, ACK, BUSY, GND   (that is 12)

You could connect more (paper out, reset, etc.) but I wouldn't bother.

> And related to this, is it WORTH wiring your own? Or are such cables
> available cheaply?

For me, it was worth it:  cables aren't cheap.  If you have to buy Radio
Schmuck DB 25, hood, cable, centronics (oops...they no longer have them)
you are going to spend a good bit.  Maybe you should buy one.  If you have
the stuff, or can get it mail order (read: cheap) then make the cable.

Paul