[sci.electronics] Copper Foil Shielding Tape

markz@ssc.UUCP (Mark Zenier) (02/09/90)

I found a product at (blush) Radio Shack that turned out to be good
for putting a ground plane on bare Vectorboard.

It's a metal foil (tinned copper ?) tape that is 1/2 inch wide, with a
quilted pattern embossed in it.  The cardboard spool in the center
says 3M.

The punchline is that a trip to the local R.S. store brought forth
a few blank looks and the statment that if it isn't in the catalog
any more, then we don't have it.

Anyone know what this stuff really is?

markz@ssc.uucp

greene@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (John Greene) (02/13/90)

In article <470@ssc.UUCP> markz@ssc.UUCP (Mark Zenier) writes:

>It's a metal foil (tinned copper ?) tape that is 1/2 inch wide, with a
>quilted pattern embossed in it.  The cardboard spool in the center
>says 3M.

>Anyone know what this stuff really is?

It's just what you thought, foil tape for shielding.  There is a whole
variety of types available many of them copper.  The type with the quilted
pattern usually has conductive glue.  I use it mostly during the bread-board
phase for shielding between high gain sections when necessary.  It also comes
in handy during FFC testing to help identify problem 'holes' emitting
excessive RF.  I have used it to provide some ground plane on vector board
however the heat of soldering tends to do a number on the glue.  It's usually
pretty expensive stuff as well.
--
John E. Greene    "People are just like frankfurters....You have to decide
                   if you're going to be a hot dog or just another wiener" DLR