[sci.electronics] night vision !?

tolboel@iesd.auc.dk (Morten Tolboel) (02/20/90)

Some time ago I was in the army. We had a demonstration of
a small "night vision"-device. You could attach it to your
helmet and *BINGO* night was turned into day !!! It used
small penlight batteries which worked for quite a long time.

QUESTION: how does this thing work? Is it a very sensitive
CCD camera or what ? (it was a passive system!)
Why is it so damn *EXPENSIVE*  ? (the price we were told was
$18000 - $20000; no wonder it isn't standard equipment :-)

/Morten Tolboel

forbes@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Jeff Forbes) (02/21/90)

In article <1990Feb20.124704.13677@iesd.auc.dk> tolboel@iesd.auc.dk (Morten Tolboel) writes:

>Some time ago I was in the army. We had a demonstration of
>a small "night vision"-device. You could attach it to your
>helmet and *BINGO* night was turned into day !!! It used
>small penlight batteries which worked for quite a long time.
>
>QUESTION: how does this thing work? Is it a very sensitive
>CCD camera or what ? (it was a passive system!)
>Why is it so damn *EXPENSIVE*  ? (the price we were told was
>$18000 - $20000; no wonder it isn't standard equipment :-)
>
>/Morten Tolboel

It was probably a microchannel plate intensifier they are rather expensive.
Edmund scientific sells one for about $3500.00. For the DOD multiply
anything by 5 to 10 and you will get their price. Companies love to ride
the DOD gravy train.

		Jeff