[sci.electronics] Error message #50 on HP LaserJet+

Li@USCN.BITNET (LI Jialin, UGA Physics) (02/21/90)

    I have a LaserJet+(call it LJ No.1) needed a new fusing roller, so I
 bought one from HP and replaced it myself. However it does not work. I
 than took the whole thing(everything on fig.A) off, put it on another
 LaserJet+(call it LJ No.2), it worked. Place it back to LJ No.1, still
 wouldn't work. After a while I remembered that when error #50 first time
 come up on LJ No.1 was because the connection of fusing bulb was open
 (but after I connect it, the error #50 keeped coming up anyway). I did
 waite 7 min before every power up, and did reset the AC Circuit Break
 on the AC power supply.

    While tring to find out why, I unintentionally reproduced the err #50
 on LJ No.2, and the reason is the same: disconnect the AC power supply
 to fusing bulb. Here is how I did it:

LaserJet+ No.2, works fine

    AC                 thermo-protector                        AC  (Note:
     |                 [O]             [OO] thermistor          |  thermo-
     |  .----------------------------------------------------.  |  protector
     |  :     ___________________________________________    :  |  wired in
     |-------|___________________________________________|------|  seires w/
        :        fusing bulb                                 :     fusing
        `----------------------------------------------------'     bulb)
                 fusing roller
                                                                     fig.A
Power off, disconnect one side of the fusing bulb

    AC                 thermo-protector                         AC
     |                 [O]             [OO] thermistor           |
     |  .-----------------------------------------------------.  |
     |  :      ___________________________________________    :  |
     |----\ \-|___________________________________________|------|
        :        fusing bulb                                  :
        `-----------------------------------------------------'
                 fusing roller

Turn power on, error #50.
                                                                     fig.B
   Power off, reconnect it (as fig.A), wait more than 7min, power on. It
 passed self test, and waited for 90sec, error message #50.

   Now I have both printers dead and need anyone's help badly.

   Thanks for any help in advance.

Jialin

In article <900221021008311.AOCJ@205FE.USCN.UGA.EDU> Li@USCN.BITNET (LI Jialin, UGA Physics) writes:
>   Power off, reconnect it (as fig.A), wait more than 7min, power on. It
> passed self test, and waited for 90sec, error message #50.
>
>   Now I have both printers dead and need anyone's help badly.

Sounds like you've blown one of the boards that runs the fusing assembly.
The only time we've had an error 50, one of those was bad.  There are
two little boards under the big plastic housing to the left of the fusing
assembly.  (Dismantle with power off and line cord unplugged!  The main
AC feed to the printer also runs around in there.)  We fixed our error 50
by replacing the top one.

If you have the service manual, there are some procedures in there for
troubleshooting an error 50... but they quickly boil down to "replace
boards until it works".
--
"The N in NFS stands for Not, |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
or Need, or perhaps Nightmare"| uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

jans@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Jan Steinman) (02/22/90)

<henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer)>
<"The N in NFS stands for Not, or Need, or perhaps Nightmare">

Around here, it stands for "No", and the "S" stands for "Security".  The
meaning of the "F" is left to the reader's imagination.

							   Jan Steinman - N7JDB
					Tektronix Electronic Systems Laboratory
					Box 500, MS 50-370, Beaverton, OR 97077
						(w)503/627-5881 (h)503/657-7703