[sci.electronics] Solenoid valves, THE SOURCES

ornitz@kodak.UUCP (Barry Ornitz) (02/23/90)

In article <1990Feb20.160520.2246@eplrx7.uucp> rogerska@eplrx7.UUCP
(Allen Rogers) writes:

>I am in dire need of a source of solenoid valves. I posted a request a short
>time ago and didn't get any response so I thought I would try one more time.
>I apologize for the repetition. I would prefer DC controlled valves for
>household water pressures but I will go with an AC valve/relay combination
>if necessary.

I thought you folks at the Engineering Physics Lab built custom instruments for
your manufacturing divisions much as I do here in the Process Instrumentation
Research Laboratory at ECC.  We use solenoid valves all of the time in our
ih-house designs, also sampling valves.  In any event, the following list of
manufacturers comes from the ISA (Instrument Society of America) Handbook of
Instrumentation.  You can probably find similar lists in the Thomas Register
(look in any library) which you will have to consult anyway for addresses for
these companies.  Of those on the list, I have used ASCO, Skinner, and Numatics
extensively.  You mentioned DC valves, but I suspect you want something that
can be switched with TTL or your computer.  The currents involved with most
low voltage DC valves are large and the inductive kick on turnoff requires
some special care with DC coils.  I would suggest using conventional 120VAC
solenoid valves controlled by solid-state relays.

Here is the list.  By the way, give my regards to Joe Andrisani.

PS:  I am posting the list rather than mailing it because the question comes
up frequently!
                                  Good luck, Barry   ornitz@kodak.kodak.com
 -----------------
|  ___  ________  |       Dr. Barry L. Ornitz          WA4VZQ
| |  / /        | |  UUCP:  ....rutgers!rochester!kodak!ornitz
| | / /         | |       Eastman Kodak Company
| |< < K O D A K| |       Eastman Chemical Company Research Laboratories
| | \ \         | |       P. O. Box 1972, Building 167B
| |__\ \________| |       Kingsport, TN  37662       615/229-4904
|                 |  INTERNET:   ornitz@kodak.kodak.com
 -----------------

-------------------------CUT HERE----------------------------------------

SOLENOID VALVE MANUFACTURERS AS LISTED IN ISA DIRECTORY OF INSTRUMENTATION

Allenair Corporation
Atkomatic Valve Co, Inc
Automatic Switch Company (ASCO)
Brooks Instrument Division, Emerson Electric
Cambridge Scientific Ind
Cardinal Control Co Inc
Circle Seal Controls, Brunswick Corporation
Clark-Cooper Corporation
Controlomatics, Quamco Inc
Datron Systems Inc, EEMCO Div
Deltrol Controls
Digital Valve Company
Fabco-Air Inc
Flodar Fluid Fittings, Lube Devices Inc
Flodyne Controls Inc
Fluorocarbon Company, Fluid Handling Div
Fluoroware Inc
Foxboro Company
GF Plastic Systems Inc
Gould, J D Co Inc
Herion Inc
Hex Valve
Humphrey Products Co
IMO Delaval Inc, Barksdale Controls Div
Industrial Specialties Co of Texas
Intrinsic Safety Equipment of Texas
Keane Controls Div
Keystone Valve USA
Laurence Co Inc, R G
Leybold-Heraeus Vacuum Product
Mace Corporation
Maxon Corp
MTL Inc
Muesco Valve Co
Murphy, Frank W Mfr
Neptune Research
NORGREN
North American Mfg Co
Numatics Inc
Parker Hannifin Corp, Pneumatic Div
Parker Hannifin Corp, Refrigeration Components Group
Plast-O-Matic Valves Inc
Red Valve Co Inc
Skinner Valve Div, Honeywell
Spirax Sarco Inc
Springer, R Company Inc
Tech Controls Inc, Div of Hoke Inc
Trerice, H O Co
Veeco Instruments Inc, Veeco Instrument Group