[sci.electronics] Fast SRAMS question, part II

mcintyre@turing.cs.rpi.edu (David McIntyre) (02/21/90)

Ok, thanks to the 10's of people who responded.  I have tons of chip
numbers and suppliers.  Motorola and ITD both have 55ns parts that
seem to be popular.  There are a lot of faster chips too, but I think
they get really expensive and I only actually need 58ns or faster.

So here is question two:

	I have these chip numbers, where can I actually buy a couple
of the chips??  I only want maybe 2 or 3, so that's not enough to
interest suppliers.  They are also reasonably uncommon chips, so
the local electronics store doesn't even list these chips in their
outdated books.

	Is there some place I can call which both knows about these
chips and is willing to sell very small quantities??

			Thanks in advance.

Dave "mr question" McIntyre     |      "....say you're thinking about a plate
mcintyre@turing.cs.rpi.edu      |       of shrimp.....and someone says to
office : 518-276-8633		|	you 'plate,' or 'shrimp'......"

jbm@eos.UUCP (Jeffrey Mulligan) (02/22/90)

mcintyre@turing.cs.rpi.edu (David McIntyre) writes:

>	I have these chip numbers, where can I actually buy a couple
>of the chips??  I only want maybe 2 or 3, so that's not enough to
>interest suppliers.

Distributors will often send out small quantitities of inexpensive
parts as free evaluation samples if they think that you are
considering using their part in a design to be produced.
If you luck out and get connected to a sympathetic salesperson,
you may even get the free samples without misrepresenting your intentions.

--

	Jeff Mulligan (jbm@aurora.arc.nasa.gov)
	NASA/Ames Research Ctr., Mail Stop 239-3, Moffet Field CA, 94035

tomb@hplsla.HP.COM (Tom Bruhns) (02/23/90)

>>	I have these chip numbers, where can I actually buy a couple
>>of the chips??  I only want maybe 2 or 3, so that's not enough to
>>interest suppliers.

>Distributors will often send out small quantitities of inexpensive
>parts as free evaluation samples if they think that you are
>considering using their part in a design to be produced.
>If you luck out and get connected to a sympathetic salesperson,
>you may even get the free samples without misrepresenting your intentions.

Failing this, you might try Active Electronics (HQ: in or near Boston).
They are a distributor, but also cater to low-volume users.  They have
a walk-in store here, but are willing to order, too.

In article <5170077@hplsla.HP.COM> tomb@hplsla.HP.COM (Tom Bruhns) writes:
>Failing this, you might try Active Electronics (HQ: in or near Boston).
>They are a distributor, but also cater to low-volume users.  They have
>a walk-in store here, but are willing to order, too.

In particular, the Active retail operation can special-order anything
their parent distributor carries, which is a huge range of stuff.  (For
example, essentially any Motorola semiconductor.)  Sometimes it takes
a while, or you have to wait until the parent actually has some in stock,
but they can get it for you.  I wish they carried Intersil and Analog
Devices; dealing with other sources is a royal pain by comparison.
--
"The N in NFS stands for Not, |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
or Need, or perhaps Nightmare"| uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu