[sci.electronics] 6809 greater than 2 Mhz

ryan@cell.mot.COM (Pat Ryan) (02/21/90)

Does anyone know if Motorola makes a 6809 with an operating frequency
greater then 2Mhz?  If not is there another vendor that makes a 6809
equivalent that runs at an operating frequency greater then 2 Mhz?  Any
information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Pat Ryan

leo@dduck.ctt.bellcore.com (Leo Zvenyatsky) (02/21/90)

>Does anyone know if Motorola makes a 6809 with an operating frequency
>greater then 2Mhz?  If not is there another vendor that makes a 6809
>equivalent that runs at an operating frequency greater then 2 Mhz?  Any
>information would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thank You
>Pat Ryan

As far as I know (and I've worked with 6809's for about five years
now), the fastest 6809 version runs at 8Mhz external quadrature clock
which translates to 2Mhz internal clock (500 nSec/cycle).  Since the
fastest instructions take up at least 2 cycles, you wind up with
maximum 1 instruction/uSec.  This is the fastest in the 68xx family.
There are other 68xx clone makers (Hitachi springs to mind), but none,
to my knowledge, have anything faster.

On the off chance that you do find a faster version, could you please
drop me a line over e-mail.

Thanks,

---
leo
--
   _           ___	| If any views or opinions are found
 _//             /	| in this article, please return to:

sirakide@cell.mot.COM (Dean Sirakides) (02/22/90)

ryan@cell.mot.COM (Pat Ryan) writes:

>Does anyone know if Motorola makes a 6809 with an operating frequency
>greater then 2Mhz?

 Yes,     Motorola MC68A09 - 6 MHz
  - or -  Motorola MC68B09 - 8 MHz

--
Dean Sirakides              |    Motorola Cellular Group
...uunet!motcid!sirakide    |    Arlington Heights, IL

dnelson@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Dru Nelson) (02/22/90)

 Hitachi makes the 6309 which will work at 3mhz and uses CMOS.

--
%% Dru Nelson %% Miami, FL %% Internet:  dnelson@mthvax.cs.miami.edu  %%

In article <1351@hazel13.UUCP> sirakide@cell.mot.COM (Dean Sirakides) writes:
>>Does anyone know if Motorola makes a 6809 with an operating frequency
>>greater then 2Mhz?
>
> Yes,     Motorola MC68A09 - 6 MHz
>  - or -  Motorola MC68B09 - 8 MHz

Uh, isn't this just a little bit of specsmanship?  The A and B variants
are more usually known as 1.5 MHz and 2 MHz respectively, since that's
the bus speed, the standard by which the earlier 6800-family machines
were measured.  He wants something faster than a B.
--
"The N in NFS stands for Not, |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
or Need, or perhaps Nightmare"| uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

craig@oakhill.UUCP (Craig Shaw) (02/24/90)

In article <20158@bellcore.bellcore.com> leo@dduck.UUCP (Leo Zvenyatsky) writes:

>As far as I know (and I've worked with 6809's for about five years
>now), the fastest 6809 version runs at 8Mhz external quadrature clock
>which translates to 2Mhz internal clock (500 nSec/cycle).  Since the
>fastest instructions take up at least 2 cycles, you wind up with
>maximum 1 instruction/uSec.  This is the fastest in the 68xx family.

  Actually, if you include the 68HC11 family in the category of 68XX,
Motorola makes at least 1 version of the 68HC11 that is guaranteed to
operate to 4 MHz (from -40C to +125C no less). The device I'm familiar
with is the 68HC11F1, and it uses non-multiplexed address and data buses.
It also provides chip-select outputs for external memories, plus many
other nice features.

  If operating temperatures are limited to around 30C or below, the regular
multiplexed-bus HC11's (a long list of part numbers) will definately run
at an E-clock rate of 4 MHz. Of course, Motorola does not spec. faster
operation over a reduced temperature range.

 Unfortunately for the original poster, 68HC11's are not 6809 compatible.
--

I'M THE NRA.
Craig D. Shaw - MCU Systems Design (512)891-2245  Motorola Inc., Austin, TX.