[sci.electronics] Need Scematics for DC Motor Speed Control.

isaac-b@tahoe.unr.edu (Benjamin Isaac) (02/23/90)

I have had a lot of problems locating a decent schematic for a speed controler
for a cordless drill.

The type of schematics I am looking for is one that:

       1. DOESN'T use a transitor/resistor design (i.e. heat/excessive drain).
       2. doesnt require extremely hard to find components.
       3. can handle around 1amp at 6volts.
       4. will hopefully have some torque at lower speeds.

I would appreciate any help through e-mail or through this newsgroup.

net: isaac-b@tahoe.unr.edu

rdi@cci632.UUCP (Rick Inzero) (02/23/90)

In article <3609@tahoe.unr.edu> isaac-b@tahoe.unr.edu (Benjamin Isaac) writes:
>I have had a lot of problems locating a decent schematic for a speed controler
>for a cordless drill.
>
>The type of schematics I am looking for is one that:
>
>       1. DOESN'T use a transitor/resistor design (i.e. heat/excessive drain).
>       2. doesnt require extremely hard to find components.
>       3. can handle around 1amp at 6volts.
>       4. will hopefully have some torque at lower speeds.
>
>I would appreciate any help through e-mail or through this newsgroup.
>
>net: isaac-b@tahoe.unr.edu

If anyone has a good, tried-and-true circuit for this, I'd be interested
in seeing it posted too!

I've found a "Speed Control for Power Tools" schematic in the Feb. 1967
Popular Science (plus a correction on p. 10 of Apr 1967), but is uses
resistors and a mechanical contact set up that would be difficult to
make from scratch.  Hey, at least it matches the age of my electric drill!!

---
Rick Inzero					rochester!cci632!rdi
Computer Consoles Inc. (CCI)			uunet!ccicpg!cci632!rdi
Rochester, NY					uunet!rlgvax!cci632!rdi

"Your grandmother never, ever called me stupid.
	She always called me 'pinhead'." -Jimmy Stewart in 1988 Campbells Soup
								commercial.

grege@gold.GVG.TEK.COM (Gregory Ebert) (02/24/90)

In article <3609@tahoe.unr.edu> isaac-b@tahoe.unr.edu (Benjamin Isaac) writes:
>I have had a lot of problems locating a decent schematic for a speed controler
>for a cordless drill.
>
>The type of schematics I am looking for is one that:
>
>       1. DOESN'T use a transitor/resistor design (i.e. heat/excessive drain).
>       2. doesnt require extremely hard to find components.
>       3. can handle around 1amp at 6volts.
>       4. will hopefully have some torque at lower speeds.

	Easy. Use a tapped-voltage power source. If you have 4 batteries
	rated 1.5 volts apiece, you get 4 possible voltages: (1.5,3,4.5,6).
	The 1.5 might be useless, but the other 3 should be OK. Some
	batteries get 'bogged-down' by internal series resistance, so
	you may want to use 5 cells for 7.5 v (MAX).

	Be careful you don't overload the batteries. Some reachargeable
	cells will 'vent-off' at high drain-rates due to excessive heating.
	This puts yucky corrosive fumes in your equipment :( .