[sci.electronics] Decent Multimeter Wanted.

avinash@contex.UUCP (Avinash Chopde) (02/21/90)

I need to buy a multimeter, and it has been a long break since I last
dabbled in electronics.

So, what are the good general-purpose multimeters available today ?
Am looking for something in the $75-$150 range.
Looking mainly for long lasting quality, and sturdiness in construction.

And, are there any analog (needle) meter displays available, or is it all
digital readouts ?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
(Have seen this discussion take place some time ago, but of course, I
ignored it then:-)! If anyone has saved previous summaries on multimeters,
will be glad if they could send it to me-thanks.)
--
---------------------------
Avinash Chopde                         home :   508 470 1190

barry@hprmokg.HP.COM (Barry Fowler) (02/24/90)

 avinash@contex.UUCP (Avinash Chopde) writes:

>I need to buy a multimeter, and it has been a long break since I last
>dabbled in electronics.
>
>So, what are the good general-purpose multimeters available today ?
>Am looking for something in the $75-$150 range.
>Looking mainly for long lasting quality, and sturdiness in construction.
>
>And, are there any analog (needle) meter displays available, or is it all
>digital readouts ?

Try getting a Fordham Electronics catalog or an MCM Electronics Catalog.
They have lots of good digital and analog meters in them. I don't have
Fordham's number here but MCM's is (800) 543-4330.

I like Beckman and Fluke meters for digital types.  Fluke has some cheap
autoranging ones with audible continuity testers.  Also, B&K meters are
pretty good.

The Fordham catalog has the most variety.  If you can't get the address,
let me know and I'll scare it up.

Barry